Zeppelin “For Your Life” Live O2 Concert: Pickup Combination?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
At 2:24 of the video below, Jimmy Page flips his pup selector switch to (apparently) the middle position, and with earbuds in, I can really hear his tone get brighter and that “Page” middle position tone. On his triple-pickup Custom. Which pickups are in play here? Can it be managed on just a 2-pickup Les Paul?

I’m using lower-wound Seth’s on one of my Les Pauls and Burstbucker 1 & 2 on another and I can get “close” with each guitar.

I use an Orange Dark Terror as my amp and although I don't practice aping others' tones, Page's tone here came about almost by accident....a happy accident.

Classicplayer

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
Jimmy always used his volume knobs a lot live.
Could be a Tonebender too, but I didn't see anything on the floor near him..

LtKojak

Reaction score

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Jimmy always used his volume knobs a lot live.
Could be a Tonebender too, but I didn't see anything on the floor near him..

His pedal board appeared in a few of the songs Zeppelin performed that evening. I think that I prefer his 70's concerts tone when he went to the middle position, but that was then and the 02 tone still sounds like Page's Les Paul. I have to say that I miss it for just how penetrating it is. I was very happy when I heard a tone akin to it from my own rig. Others whom I've questioned on forums state that it's not that difficult to get, but I think that I've seen only a handful of videos online that get eerily close to Page's.

Classicplayer

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I did read more than one article on the technical side of the recording of audio and merging it with the video with a mind to getting an accurate representation of what it must have sounded like in person; not such an easy thing to make happen. I imagine that it would be as near as possible to what I would have heard given the possibility that I had the “right” spot in the room. After reading those articles, it's almost an artwork in itself. Still, I was struck by the sound in “For Your Life” from the 2 hour video that I keep on my iPad. I just keep reminding myself by plugging in earbuds of how visceral Page's Les Paul sound hits me each time I listen in.

I did not expect that my Dark Terror and Les Paul would get even remotely close to the guitar sound and the happy “accident “ that took place with my rig makes me wonder if Page's amp had a large part in that penetrating tone. Both article that I read referred to his use of the AD30 for just about the entire show.

Classicplayer

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did read more than one article on the technical side of the recording of audio and merging it with the video with a mind to getting an accurate representation of what it must have sounded like in person; not such an easy thing to make happen. I imagine that it would be as near as possible to what I would have heard given the possibility that I had the “right” spot in the room. After reading those articles, it's almost an artwork in itself. Still, I was struck by the sound in “For Your Life” from the 2 hour video that I keep on my iPad. I just keep reminding myself by plugging in earbuds of how visceral Page's Les Paul sound hits me each time I listen in.

I did not expect that my Dark Terror and Les Paul would get even remotely close to the guitar sound and the happy “accident “ that took place with my rig makes me wonder if Page's amp had a large part in that penetrating tone. Both article that I read referred to his use of the AD30 for just about the entire show.

Classicplayer
I was blown over by the tone Page had on Kashmir with his LP #3 b-bender on that very concert.... that whole concert is some powerful stuff.

I have at times fumbled into tone that triggers a memory of a sound..... sometimes i know exactly what it is,.... other times it could take me days to trace what it's from..... I hate that....

I chalk it up to just gettin' old....... but it is nice to find things I'm not looking for.;)

Last edited:

Dazza

Reaction score
That guitar has the Freeway 6 position switch. If I'm seeing things correct it looks like he's got the switch in position 1 initially, which is the neck, and moves it to position 2 which is bridge & middle. That tone definitely makes sense. A triple pickup LP bridge and middle together in phase does thin out the tone like that because the pickups' magnetic fields are so close together. I know because I wired my '57 LPB-3 that way except I turn the middle pickup on/off with a push/pull knob.

Not quite feasible in a conventional 2 pickup LP unless you do a phase reversal on 1 pickup . Then blend the 2 volumes to where the frequencies cancel out only partially, not fully or it may be too thin.

His Custom Shop pickups are more powerful with more sizzle than he used in the Zeppelin era. He has more gain too.

Daz
dsc096881.jpg

Grenville

Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of post-production going on with the sudden lurch into stereo.

A wet/dry rig with some slapback echo could get the breadth happening. The out-of-phase-but-not-a-phaser thing I'm not so sure about.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I read an interview with someone who worked on the audio end of things. There was way more going on tone-wise than the gear Page had on stage.

ThroBak

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
To me that sounds like the normal middle position tone with a 3 pickup custom which is bridge and middle pickup out of phase.

Dazza

Reaction score
To me that sounds like the normal middle position tone with a 3 pickup custom which is bridge and middle pickup out of phase.
I experimented with this in my '57 LPB-3. While historically some are said to be out of phase in practice its a useless sound. With the pickups so close together the phase cancellation is extreme. Without separate volumes to alter their relative balance 'thin' is an understatement. Pickups in phase still have frequency cancellation due to proximity but with a useable tone. This is that tone. It's exactly the same result as a Strat in Position 2, only with humbuckers.

Daz

Latest Threads