Zebra or Reverse Zebra? Aged Nickel?

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the problems is that I was only looking at cheaper options and not boutique winders. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
And an honest thanks for clearing it up and linking the above winders.
Ya, the cheaper sources, and the big companies like Duncan and Lawrence, are going to stay very far away from the trademark infringement line, and produce pure white rather than cream.
But there are still ways around it, such as selling a covered pickup that just happens to have double-cream bobbins. As long as it is not a documented feature or selling point, it'll scoot under the radar, and some winders are working carefully to get a color that is acceptable but not in violation... obviously, DiMarzio doesn't "own" every shade between "Chocolate Brown" and "Navajo White"

LP1865

Reaction score
But there are still ways around it, such as selling a covered pickup that just happens to have double-cream bobbins.
I remember asking Mr. Plummer of Zhangbucker to do this for me, but he flat out said no.
He only agreed on true double white. I'm not sure what that is tho.....

mrblooze

Reaction score
Sure. Any excuse for posting a photo of my favorite guitar. :) But just to be clear, i'd keep the covers on. I'm just wondering if I ever go to sell it . . . Also, in case someone is wondering, double cream is not currently being offered.

View attachment 494711
Double cream probably won't ever be offered. It was trademarked by DiMarzio, so I've heard, and no one wants to pay royalties to market a pickup with such a small interest base.

captdan61

Reaction score
Sure. Any excuse for posting a photo of my favorite guitar. :) But just to be clear, i'd keep the covers on. I'm just wondering if I ever go to sell it . . . Also, in case someone is wondering, double cream is not currently being offered.

View attachment 494711
I'm not sure about wolfetone but I know that if you order double creams with a cover and sometimes you can get them but I believe Todd DiMarzio has a copyright or that's the trademark of the DiMarzio pickup company. I'm pretty sure I heard that at some point in my life when I ordered a set of pickups not sure if there's any truth to it but you might ask

dju

Reaction score
thanks to all those that listed their pickup winder that will wind double cream pickups discreetly.
a sure way to get them to never do it again for fear of legal repercussions.
fortunately for me I am a fan of zebra pickups.

Latest Threads