Zebra or Reverse Zebra? Aged Nickel?

DBCooper

Reaction score
I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Wolfetones and saw the options: zebra or reverse zebra? nickel or aged nickel?

My inclination is to select zebra and nickel for both. But I'm wondering why there's a option for reverse zebras? Is it because some all-time favorite had his zebras reversed?

Same question as to aged nickel. Clearly, some guitarists must like the look or it wouldn't be offered as an option. But is it such a desired look that it's worth an additional $10/per pickup? Or is it a detail that most people (like me) wouldn't even notice? Thanks.

P.S. I should add that the LP is over 40 years old so maybe aged covers wouldn't look completely out of place.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
As far as the aesthetics go, it's all just personal preference to match your guitar and the look you like.

There's no desirability or value to any particular aesthetic options on modern pickups. They don't constitute some rarity or collectability, like vintage ones.

Covers can alter the sound and protect the pickup, but I think you are just asking about the aesthetics and that's all discussed elsewhere here, anyway.

LP1865

Reaction score
We need a picture of your guitar for reference...
However I tend to go double black, for clearly unknown reasons.

DBCooper

Reaction score
We need a picture of your guitar for reference...
However I tend to go double black, for clearly unknown reasons.
Sure. Any excuse for posting a photo of my favorite guitar. :) But just to be clear, i'd keep the covers on. I'm just wondering if I ever go to sell it . . . Also, in case someone is wondering, double cream is not currently being offered.

IMG_0669.JPG

DBCooper

Reaction score
P.S. And just to be clear, I assume that "reverse zebras" and aged nickel covers are a thing. I'm just wondering how big a thing.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya, that's really close to my SG, I'd stick with all black, or keep the covers.
If you keep the covers, the bobbin color doesn't matter ;)

Aged anything is "a thing"... personally, unless it matches the patina of the rest of the parts, I don't care for it.
There's probably a reason the Joe Bonamassa Duncan pickups sold out long ago, but they still have stock on the aged version of the "Amos" pickups.

"Aged" just looks wrong if the bridge hardware looks like new.
OTOH, if the bridge hardware is naturally aged, then new pickups stick out.

Nickel vs chrome... chrome has a bit more of a blue tone to it, nickel is a touch yellow.
It's hard to noticed unless you see the two side by side.

LP1865

Reaction score
Sure. Any excuse for posting a photo of my favorite guitar. :) But just to be clear, i'd keep the covers on. I'm just wondering if I ever go to sell it . . . Also, in case someone is wondering, double cream is not currently being offered.

View attachment 494711
Oh you want gold covers for that!!!
The smartest thing for you to is get zebras under a gold pickups. If you don't like them gold, take the covers off and try the zebras.

LP1865

Reaction score
Also, in case someone is wondering, double cream is not currently being offered.
Double cream will never be offered. As far as I know, no American winder will offer double cream, and therefore due to the lack of popularity, nor will many international winders.
If you're wondering why, this is because of the really stupid and extremely irritating Dimarzio patent. I honestly can't believe it still exists.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Double cream will never be offered. As far as I know, no American winder will offer double cream, and therefore due to the lack of popularity, nor will many international winders.
If you're wondering why, this is because of the really stupid and extremely irritating Dimarzio patent. I honestly can't believe it still exists.
I (and many others) have bought many double cream pickups (sometimes also called double white) from American boutique winders. Despite DiMarzio’s trademark (not patent) on double creams, many will still wind them if you ask (some even openly advertise them on their websites). And international winders are not subject that DiMarzio’s American trademark and I don’t think I have ever seen an international winder who didn’t offer double creams/whites.

LP1865

Reaction score
I (and many others) have bought many double cream pickups (sometimes also called double white) from American boutique winders. Despite DiMarzio’s trademark (not patent) on double creams, many will still wind them if you ask (some even openly advertise them on their websites). And international winders are not subject that DiMarzio’s American trademark and I don’t think I have ever seen an international winder who didn’t offer double creams/whites.
Double Cream is very different from double white. White is shiny and looks like the stuff Apple chargers are made of. Double creams looks like your cream pickguards and mounting rings.
I haven't seen any American winder offering double cream, but if you have, it would be really helpful if you could post a link. Not being derogatory, I genuinely want to check out some double creams that aren't DiMarzios.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Double Cream is very different from double white. White is shiny and looks like the stuff Apple chargers are made of. Double creams looks like your cream pickguards and mounting rings.
I haven't seen any American winder offering double cream, but if you have, it would be really helpful if you could post a link. Not being derogatory, I genuinely want to check out some double creams that aren't DiMarzios.
Many builders will use the term “white” or “vintage white” to describe them, but they are in fact cream colored and NOT the color of an Apple charger. The shade of cream can vary from winder to winder (depending on who they source their bobbins from), but I speak from firsthand experience that none of the “double whites” I have bought from boutique winders (whether American or international) were white like an Apple charger. All were varying shades of cream. Some darker, some lighter (lighter is more vintage correct... DiMarzio‘s darker cream is not vintage correct), but all 100% definitely cream.

Here’s a few examples.

thebuzztone.com
zhangbucker.com/ (doesn’t list color options, you specify when ordering via email, I have bought double cream from him before)
throbak.com/ (will give you double cream under the covers if you ask for them)
tysontone.com/ (have bought double creams from him in the past)
manliusguitar.com (his “vintage white” is actually a light cream)
onamacwindery.com

I have also bought double creams from Wolfetone before, though it sounds like now (per the OP) he’s not currently offering them now???

Internationally you can get double creams or whites (which are actually cream) from every maker I’ve ever researched and/or bought from. Here’s a few examples.

ox4pickups.co.uk
bareknucklepickups.co.uk
vineham.com
montysguitars.com
creamtpickupsdirect.com
wizz-pickups.net

I could go on and on, but you can find more should you chose to practice your own google-fu. ;)

DBCooper

Reaction score
I have also bought double creams from Wolfetone before, though it sounds like now (per the OP) he’s not currently offering them now???
My statement was based on the drop-down box on the order menu.

AJK1

Reaction score
I was just about to pull the trigger on a set of Wolfetones and saw the options: zebra or reverse zebra? nickel or aged nickel?

My inclination is to select zebra and nickel for both. But I'm wondering why there's a option for reverse zebras? Is it because some all-time favorite had his zebras reversed?

Same question as to aged nickel. Clearly, some guitarists must like the look or it wouldn't be offered as an option. But is it such a desired look that it's worth an additional $10/per pickup? Or is it a detail that most people (like me) wouldn't even notice? Thanks.

P.S. I should add that the LP is over 40 years old so maybe aged covers wouldn't look completely out of place.
On the early Les Pauls the zebra pickups were almost always screw coil black

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
With all due respect, every sentence here is incorrect. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to stop the propagation of misinformation.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Original PAFs with two cream bobbins are commonly called "double white" and since that's been a common term on the vintage ones, it's typical to also call modern double cream replicas "double whites."

Some modern pickup manufacturers offer bobbins that are actually a stark white color, but that's not typical, especially with replica PAF style pickups.

In general, if someone is calling a pickup "double white" and talking about vintage PAFs or replicas of them, they are talking about a pickup that has two cream color bobbins. It's just become common parlance.

LP1865

Reaction score
With all due respect, every sentence here is incorrect. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to stop the propagation of misinformation.
My mistake. I mustn't have researched enough. Wherever I saw double white, it looked very different from the double cream pictures I found online.
Many builders will use the term “white” or “vintage white” to describe them, but they are in fact cream colored and NOT the color of an Apple charger. The shade of cream can vary from winder to winder (depending on who they source their bobbins from), but I speak from firsthand experience that none of the “double whites” I have bought from boutique winders (whether American or international) were white like an Apple charger. All were varying shades of cream. Some darker, some lighter (lighter is more vintage correct... DiMarzio‘s darker cream is not vintage correct), but all 100% definitely cream.

Here’s a few examples.

thebuzztone.com
zhangbucker.com/ (doesn’t list color options, you specify when ordering via email, I have bought double cream from him before)
throbak.com/ (will give you double cream under the covers if you ask for them)
tysontone.com/ (have bought double creams from him in the past)
manliusguitar.com (his “vintage white” is actually a light cream)
onamacwindery.com

Internationally you can get double creams or whites (which are actually cream) from every maker I’ve ever researched and/or bought from. Here’s a few examples.

ox4pickups.co.uk
bareknucklepickups.co.uk
vineham.com
montysguitars.com
creamtpickupsdirect.com
wizz-pickups.net

I could go on and on, but you can find more should you chose to practice your own google-fu. ;)
Seems like the problems is that I was only looking at cheaper options and not boutique winders. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
And an honest thanks for clearing it up and linking the above winders.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Whether I use nickel or aged nickel (or gold) covers depends on the age of the guitar and how aged the rest of the hardware is. Shiny new covers when your bridge, tailpiece and tuners are aged looks funny. Likewise the other way around.

Latest Threads