Zakk Wylde's Rebel Les Paul information

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Get it dirty enough maple looks like that. ever seen the wear spots on an old maple fender neck? Or the back once the finish has worn off?

stevie-ray-vaughan-1983-guitar-behind-head-corbis-460-100-460-70.jpg

The plot thickens... again.

Diocletian

Reaction score
There's a guy on the Seymour Duncan forum with one just like Zakk's only not burned - beer bottle caps and all.
I never knew he'd based it on Zakk's, he never mentioned that, I always assumed it was his own, stupid idea.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
If you're talking about this:

designerSeries2.jpg

Then thats not were the Rebel came from, obviously. Might be where Brett got his though.

And I reckon Zakk likes Twisted Sister more than Poison, hence him mutilating the Rebel but having no problem with the bullseye. :p

And did Chet Akins even have a signature Les Paul? Lol. He has a signature Gibson guitar which has a TRC with his name on it that looks exactly like the TRCs found on Les Pauls, but I don't think he actually had a signature Les Paul.

Holy crap..I havent seen this ad in ages...thats it, but its not a custom...guess I remembered it wrong. Whats with the #4 on Zakks rebel?
Was it put on by him , I know hes a basebell fan but Babe ruth is 3 and Mantle is 7.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looks like he is wearing a union hat...maybe he is trying to make a statement

your idol

Reaction score
I typed this big ass long response then at the end my iphone f***ed me and sent me to a lame thread about trads... Anyway the jist... Its maple 3 pc 81 custom.. I had one. Its dark because of beer, sweat, and above all he probably used tung oil to seal it making it dark.

Fanboys get bent outta shape over the most finite stuff. Glad i dont like anyone THAT much or id stroke out for sure.

MadIrishman

Reaction score
That's strange about the Poison story. It doesn't match what Zakk Wylde says happened. In the book The Modern Era of the Les Paul Legacy 1968-2009, the author Robb Lawrence interviews ZW about the history of the guitar on p217.

RL: What's the story of the Union Jack guitar with the bottle caps on it?

ZW: That's the Rebel Flag. I was listening to Skynard and the Allman Brothers and put a Confederate flag on it. People think I'm from the South. I say "No, South Jersey." Ozzy asked, "What the hell is that?" And I said "Skynard and Allman Brothers." All I remember is we were coming out of a photo shoot and there was a ten-foot flame shooting off this thing. They wrapped it in newspaper and put gasoline on it and lit it on fire. I said "What the heck are you doing, man?" Then just hanging out at the house one night, it was already messed up enough, so I just started pounding beer bottle caps into it.

cravebassist

Reaction score
to clarify the reason the Grail has the bullseye finish, it was a mess up when he went to get it painted. It was originally white, and Zakk didn't want it to look so much like Randy's white LP Custom, so he made some mods and sent it off to get the spiral design from the Vertigo movie poster on it. When Zakk got it back, it had the bullseye and he ended up liking it

SrDeMaFp

Reaction score
to clarify the reason the Grail has the bullseye finish, it was a mess up when he went to get it painted. It was originally white, and Zakk didn't want it to look so much like Randy's white LP Custom, so he made some mods and sent it off to get the spiral design from the Vertigo movie poster on it. When Zakk got it back, it had the bullseye and he ended up liking it
Correct, sir.:thumb:

Les Paul Terror

Reaction score
Here's a pic Zakk recently posted on his Twitter Site: The Rebel without bottle caps...

Attachments

• Zakk Wylde Rebel alt.jpg
    Zakk Wylde Rebel alt.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 308

Exluthier

Reaction score
I wonder if he'll have Gibson put a new neck on it?

matt3310

Reaction score
I've held and played Zakks "Grail" guitar. The original one. It has a 3 piece maple neck 100% for sure!

scooter

Reaction score
The Bullseye has a maple neck and the rebel has been renecked so many times that who knows what it is now. Pretty sure the rebel was a standard originally.

Latest Threads