Zakk Wylde's Rebel Les Paul information

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a big fan of Zakk Wylde early career, and I always loved his Rebel Les Paul, it's a unique guitar, but I can't find information about it. I read somewhere it is a Chet Atkins Custom Signature, but that's all, if someone knows, I have a few questions:
1 - Whats is the Year?
2 -Is it a traditional mohagany body with maple top?
3 -Zakk Always use maple neck Les Pauls too, is this a maple neck?
4 - I read somewhere that it got 81 in the bridge and in the neck instead of 81/85, is that true?

Here is a video that He is using it. I really like his neck picup tone, so I really wanted to know if it is a 81 or a 85. Listen to 2:36 and 5:52

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E6_CL86bQ4&feature=related[/ame]

Thank You very much,

I hope someone can help

brokenvail

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a big fan of Zakk Wylde early career, and I always loved his Rebel Les Paul, it's a unique guitar, but I can't find information about it. I read somewhere it is a Chet Atkins Custom Signature, but that's all, if someone knows, I have a few questions:
1 - Whats is the Year?
2 -Is it a traditional mohagany body with maple top?
3 -Zakk Always use maple neck Les Pauls too, is this a maple neck?
4 - I read somewhere that it got 81 in the bridge and in the neck instead of 81/85, is that true?

Here is a video that He is using it. I really like his neck picup tone, so I really wanted to know if it is a 81 or a 85. Listen to 2:36 and 5:52

Thank You very much,

I hope someone can help
It is not a Chet model. It is just a a custom that had the rebel flag on it. When he found out CC Deville from poison had the same guitar he burned it and started hammering bottle caps into it because he did not want to be seen with the same guitar. You can find pics of it with far less bottle caps in it than what are there now. Zakk's original guitars did not have maple necks they had mahogany necks. He switched to maple when Gibson started making his guitars for sale. It has 2 81s in it. At the time he did not have an 85 laying around so the 81 was just ment to hold him over till he got an 85 but he said it sounded so good that he kept it. He also said that the 81 did not sound nearly as good in the neck position of any of his other guitars and that is why the Rebel is the only one set up the way it is

tomrock

Reaction score
Is Zakk's bottlecap LP the same as the rebel flag model? I have to admit I'm having a hard time keeping up with all these LP's. :)

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Brokenvail said it all.

Its got an 81 in both slots, a mahogany neck and its been set on fire. It was built some time before 1991 (he used it on the No More Tears record), making it one of Zakk's oldest. Its got a maple cap on top of a mahogany body (I've got a picture of it post-burn and pre-caps and you can see the maple very clearly).

@Tom, its the same guitar, yes. He calls it the Rebel because, well, it has a rebel flag painted on it, which is partially hidden by burns and bottlecaps.

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
It is not a Chet model. It is just a a custom that had the rebel flag on it. When he found out CC Deville from poison had the same guitar he burned it and started hammering bottle caps into it because he did not want to be seen with the same guitar. You can find pics of it with far less bottle caps in it than what are there now. Zakk's original guitars did not have maple necks they had mahogany necks. He switched to maple when Gibson started making his guitars for sale. It has 2 81s in it. At the time he did not have an 85 laying around so the 81 was just ment to hold him over till he got an 85 but he said it sounded so good that he kept it. He also said that the 81 did not sound nearly as good in the neck position of any of his other guitars and that is why the Rebel is the only one set up the way it is

Man, I will have to desagree when you say the Rebel is just a regular Custom and his original guitars had mohogany neck.
I know that he painted the flag and that Poison/burn/botle caps story but You that when Ozzy/Black Label Society were here in Brazil - Rio de Janeiro in 2008, Zakk threw the Rebel in the audience, They got insane and didn't want to give the guitar back, than Zakk jumped into the audience and when he got the guitar back it was without the headstock (there is a lot of videos on you tube). There is a guy that picked up a drum stick and THE HEADSTOCK OF THE REBEL. He posted a pic in the internet some days after the concert. here it goes.

Apareceu o pedaço sumido da guitarra de Zakk Wylde - Jamari França: O Globo
You can see the Chet Atkins written in the trusrod cover.

And as long as I now, the First original Bullseye ( known as The Grail) is a 81 Gibson Les Paul Custom, a norlin, and 81 Norlins had maple neck. So he always used maple neck, at least in his The Grail, it was not only when Gibson started to sell his signature guitar.

About the EMG 81 information, Thank You very much, Where did you get this?

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
487px-Zakk%27s_Guitars.JPG

brokenvail

Reaction score
Theres a thread on the front page about Zakk's early bullseyes and in it is confirmation that Zakk's Grail has a mahogany neck. Heres proof:

mxyxC.jpg

That is not maple.

And he answered the question about the Rebel's pickups in one of his Guitar World columns.
To add to this TRC mean nothing. We have guys on this forum buying Blackwaters and changing the trc as well as guys putting standard trc on the trads. Zakk is a massive Chet fan and has used his acoustic for ever. He just added the trc to the rebel.

Besides even when Gibson makes sigs aren't they just a regular LP with diff Pups and trc :cool: j/k

Les Zombie

Reaction score
Heres some close ups of the rebel, zakk posted them on twitter last summer along with the mylar bullseye and camo bullseye.
Also bret michaels played a rebel and thats why zakk set his on fire and bottle capped it. He likes bret but doesnt want the same guitar as the guy from poison.

fbb4a51c.png

48c9f62d.png

e6419c69.png

661ed554.png

Reactions: ALZ

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Heres some close ups of the rebel, zakk posted them on twitter last summer along with the mylar bullseye and camo bullseye.
Also bret michaels played a rebel and thats why zakk set his on fire and bottle capped it. He likes bret but doesnt want the same guitar as the guy from poison.

I love Zakk but thats a pretty dumb reason to change that finish. If Brett were to set his on fire and bottle cap it, would Zakk then re-finish his? :laugh2:
Also, I suppose no one should tell Zakk that the black/white bullseye has been done before too. Didn't Eddie Ojeda play one in Twisted Sister before Zakk even got the Ozzy gig? :D

brokenvail

Reaction score
Eddie wasn't using an LP though was he? In some ways the Rebel is more infamous.

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Eddie wasn't using an LP though was he? In some ways the Rebel is more infamous.

No, it wasn't a Les Paul but its the same type of graphic. And yes, I agree the Rebel is much more infamous.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Gibson had a designer series of guitars in 86 I believe...it was a V, explorer and Les Paul.
I believe the explorer had the union jack painted on it while the LP had the confed. flag and the # 4 on it. Hetfield had a designer series explorer, also that dude from scorpions.. forgot his name. It was a limited prod. series that didnt do too well. I remember seeing the ad. Zakk had an 85 in the neck I believe and his tone is rich due to a slight chorus added..he does that all the time. Also story is..while on tour Ozzy burned the guitar in a parking lot due to the paint job being too southern rock for him. Zakk put it out and later put in the bottle caps.
Heres me with my interpretation of zakks guitar using a battered 72 custom I had laying around...realizing during a show that batteries do die and pickups crap out mid show......fu%$#n bastards. Thats the only active powered Les Paul I own...all the others passive for me and this is why.
31512_1442791079580_1527192125_3104.jpg

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
If you're talking about this:

designerSeries2.jpg

Then thats not were the Rebel came from, obviously. Might be where Brett got his though.

And I reckon Zakk likes Twisted Sister more than Poison, hence him mutilating the Rebel but having no problem with the bullseye. :p

And did Chet Akins even have a signature Les Paul? Lol. He has a signature Gibson guitar which has a TRC with his name on it that looks exactly like the TRCs found on Les Pauls, but I don't think he actually had a signature Les Paul.

Exluthier

Reaction score
Theres a thread on the front page about Zakk's early bullseyes and in it is confirmation that Zakk's Grail has a mahogany neck. Heres proof:

mxyxC.jpg

That is not maple.

And he answered the question about the Rebel's pickups in one of his Guitar World columns.

That looks like a dirty ass three piece maple neck to me. You can see the seams.

PEMAMETAL

Reaction score
That looks like a dirty ass three piece maple neck to me. You can see the seams.

Some people said it is mohogany neck, some people said maple.
In Theory a 81 Custom should have maple neck, but maple is almost white, and that color in the picture is dark brown. But to me it doens't look like mohogany too. Mohogany to me is a little bit red, and this is totally brown.

I really don't know

Exluthier

Reaction score
Get it dirty enough maple looks like that. ever seen the wear spots on an old maple fender neck? Or the back once the finish has worn off?

stevie-ray-vaughan-1983-guitar-behind-head-corbis-460-100-460-70.jpg

Reactions: ALZ

Latest Threads