Zakk Wylde, In Denial...

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Zakk Wylde’s sobering schedule - Omaha.com

Zakk Wylde used to be notorious for his drinking and partying.

The Black Label Society leader and heavy metal guitar god said he used to drink a case or more of beer every day.

“I didn’t drink because my dad used to throw me down flights of stairs or my mom and dad didn’t hug me enough,” the former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist told The World-Herald. “The reason I drink is because I enjoy copping a beer buzz. Ozzy used to ask, ‘What in the hell happened last night?’ Every night was ‘Animal House,’ it really was Delta, you know?”

But Wylde stopped. And he didn’t go to meetings or rehab.

“How did I quit drinking? I stopped. How do I learn how to play the guitar? I practiced,” Wylde said. “I’ll still go to Hooters, and you drink the real stuff and I’ll drink the fake stuff. I really couldn’t care less, dude.”

He didn’t quit because it was affecting his music or his relationship with his wife or his kids or his health. Wylde said he was “too busy kicking the world’s ass” to drink any more.

Wylde has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies. Currently, he’s working on a movie, a new line of Marshall amplifiers, a Zakk Wylde-branded acoustic Gibson guitar and two books.

The first is a coffee table book about Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne and Wylde’s other forays into the music business. The second is a guitar method book. Wylde said he thinks anyone who reads the book will be able to pick up a guitar for the first time and play.

“It’s like me showing you how to juggle. It looks really complicated, but you just have to watch the one ball and you can do it,” Wylde said. “I’m putting a DVD in there that shows you how to play my actual solos from Ozzy, Pride & Glory, Black Label Society and everything.”

Also part of Wylde’s busy schedule is the band’s intense touring schedule, which usually includes Ozzfest and long headlining tours. The band performs at the Anchor Inn on Thursday night.

Wylde said the band’s first shows have been “slamming,” and he’s pumped to play for as many chapters of BLS fans as he possibly can. The band is playing many tracks from its recently released album, “Order of the Black.”

“Why make a record and only put one song in off the new album?” Wylde said. “You should almost approach it like this is our first album. We should be able to play everything.”

Wylde said he was “too busy kicking the world’s ass” to drink any more.

Yeah, ok... :rolleyes:

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
there's an interview with him in this month's Guitarist - he had three pulmonary embolisms... that ain't good.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
yeah, i read his article when his liver went south and he started getting really sick. Doesnt matter how big you think you are, that disease will plant you on your ass eventually. Its inevitable.

+100000000000000

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I met one of his former roadies (also a friend) who said he was basically told by doctors if you don't stop, you WILL die bc of his liver.

Pix

Reaction score
Nobodys bulletproof man, (except Ozzy). He's just turning the page thats all. Why would he want to tell everyone his liver is shot to hell, (no pun). He's just moving on. Read the new GW issue, he tells all why he really stopped. If I were him, I would get sick of telling every interview about how I destroyed my liver too.

Sinmastah

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Zakk is a great guitarist. Are people trying to debate that?

Maybe he has a bit of an Ego with his ass kicking statement, but still.

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was at the BLS show on Sunday, and MAN what a show... But Zakk was pretty much told that he had to stop drinking, or die... Denial ain't just a river in Egypt..

Texas Joe

Reaction score
Nobodys bulletproof man, (except Ozzy). He's just turning the page thats all. Why would he want to tell everyone his liver is shot to hell, (no pun). He's just moving on. Read the new GW issue, he tells all why he really stopped. If I were him, I would get sick of telling every interview about how I destroyed my liver too.

Dont forget about Keith Richards... All joking aside, if he was able to give it up and is feeling good... hats off Zakk. Duff McKagan got severe pancreatitis from drinking and almost died. He gave up drinking too. Didnt have a choice. Substance abuse is an ugly monster and everyone experiences it differently.

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's great that he was able to stop. Some people can't.

However he wants to explain it.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score

in my book he is a great guitar player, but not even close to a Guitar God.

brianugly

Reaction score
I thought he quit because he got a couple blood clots in his leg, and if he didn't stop drinking he'd die. At least thats what he said in an interview.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever it takes to stop the bad stuff and keep going with life. Kudos to him.

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I thought he quit because he got a couple blood clots in his leg, and if he didn't stop drinking he'd die. At least thats what he said in an interview.

yeah, that's basically it. the clots went through his heart, which is often the bit where the angels appear, but he seems pretty hardcore.

Reaction score
He isn't being serious. I've read and seen interviews with him discussing the fact he had to quit for his health.

Zakk is known for saying stupid shit like this to screw with reporters and interviewers. He's just being goofy.

Wickedlester

Reaction score

+1

Zakk is a killer guitarist, can play multiple styles effortlessly.

Sky

Reaction score
I was so stoked to hear he was coming to Omaha. I wish I was 18 though, I can't get into the show... I really wanted to go.

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Least he quit.. good for him!

Latest Threads