ZAKK WYLDE Health Issues

LazyDays

Reaction score
August 25, 2009

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY frontman Zakk Wylde, who was diagnosed with blood clots in his lungs and was admitted to a Eugene, Oregon hospital this afternoon, has issued the following update via his Twitter page:

"To all our BLACK LABEL family worldwide, thanks for all the 'get-wells. Every 48 hours [I have to get myself to] the [hospital] ER [emergency room] to check my blood. Had a CT scan [a painless, sophisticated x-ray procedure which obtains images of parts of the body that cannot be seen on a standard x-ray — Ed.] today and have blood clots in each of my lungs as well as my leg. can't sing because pushing can cause an embolism."

An embolism occurs when an object migrates from one part of the body (through circulation) and causes a blockage (occlusion) of a blood vessel in another part of the body.

BLACK LABEL SOCIETY has dropped off the remaining dates on the "Pedal To The Metal Tour" due to Zakk's condition.

The "Pedal To The Metal Tour" will continue without BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, and the rest of the bands — MUDVAYNE, STATIC-X, SUICIDE SILENCE and BURY YOUR DEAD — will carry on with the trek as scheduled.

Further updates on Zakk's medical condition will become available as they are known.

I hope he'll be okay, blood clots scare me. :shock:

LazyDays

Reaction score
Thanks porkchop, I looked there earlier and didn't see anything but didn't go back again.
14.gif

C Squared

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll pull through. Zakk may have to change some of his ways a bit as he ages, unless he happens to be related to Keith Richards, you can't keep partying forever

Blues4U

Reaction score
Might have nothing to do with partying--Many other reasons you can get blood clots--

Blood clots any where are very dangerous-In your lungs--just plain scary--

I wish Zakk and the best and a little luck wouldn't hurt either-

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Throwing clots is a very scary thing. You could be fine one minute, and drop dead the next.

I wish him quick recovery!

BB

arcanis494

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish him a speedy recovery.

Do any of the medical-savvy posters know if this is something caused by substance abuse or if it's more of a spontaneous ailment?

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
I wish him a speedy recovery.

Do any of the medical-savvy posters know if this is something caused by substance abuse or if it's more of a spontaneous ailment?

it's like asking if cigarettes cause lung cancer. yes they do, but you can get lung cancer whether you smoked or never even tried a cigarette.

i don't know anything about this guy, but i'm assuming from what you guys have posted that he partied hard. some of his habits may have been risk factors that contributed to causing this condition. on the other hand it could happen to someone who never parties. i think it's fairly safe to say that his lifestyle contributed to his disease.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Apparently he had a clot in his leg, which is Deep Vein Thrombosis. A clot from there can break apart and go to the lungs.
DVT can be caused by various reasons. He could have just knocked his leg at some point, causing a clot. He could have a blood disorder, a long haul flight causes blood clots and so on.

He will be on either heparin or Coumadin type of blood thinner to avoid further clotting and usually the clots thin themselves out eventually. Rarely surgery is done to remove clots.
And they are in his lungs, I am sure he has trouble breathing right and has chest pain. It feels like you have been crushed.

He will have to change his diet for sure, stop drinking and stop smoking if she still does.
This is the advice of doctors and what you need to do whilst on blood thinning drugs.
(Avoid Vitamin K foods etc).

He will have to be careful and will need to have his PT/INR blood checks regularly so they can monitor him so he doesn't get further clots. As long as he is monitored regularly he should be ok.

I am no doctor, only going by experience. Have had Pulmonary Embolisms twice now, during pregnancy and few months ago. Now on Coumadin rest of life. Clots have not gone yet, it can take several months for the clots to go, depending on how large and the amount you have.

Hope he takes this seriously and follow docs orders, something not to push aside that is for sure.

Jody

Reaction score
This is a scary topic....Back in 2000 (I think).
We lost one of our greatest linebackers in pro football from a bloodclot in his leg that traveled to his heart and killed him...He got it from a car accident that paralized him from the waist down...And he was in superior condition....
DerrickThomas.jpg

DRF

Reaction score
Yes get well Sakk,or we'll never hear the end of it!

Latest Threads