You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i posted it in the Senjutsu thread, :laugh2:

It is awesome, so are the albums sleeves

six-string

Reaction score
50 years old 2021.jpg

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
This just got delivered today:
20210928_205814.jpg

20210928_205845.jpg

It's 5 records. Over the 2 nights they played their entire discography at the time (with the exception of From Dusk Til Dawn, which was not on the Japanese release of Metal Resistance).

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Man, I thought the corksniffing among guitar and amp collectors was bad - then I wandered into one of the "audiophile forums." Those dudes are ridiculous. Every turntable, cart, speaker, etc. that gets brought up is definitively judged to sound like complete and utter dog sh*t within the course of a half-dozen comments. The one-upping is just comical.

six-string

Reaction score
Man, I thought the corksniffing among guitar and amp collectors was bad - then I wandered into one of the "audiophile forums." Those dudes are ridiculous. Every turntable, cart, speaker, etc. that gets brought up is definitively judged to sound like complete and utter dog sh*t within the course of a half-dozen comments. The one-upping is just comical.

it's funny because it's true!
i don't post much but am a member on a couple big audiophile sites.
good deals on used gear.
but the holier than thou bullshitting that goes on is spectacular.
Yes even if producer George Martin personally assembled your Hi-Fi system as optimal with no expense spared, you can guarantee the clowns will post how utterly disappointing it is and what an idiot you are for buying it.

TheWelder

Reaction score
Quoting for truth. I used to go to one such forum (which shall remain nameless) when I was deciding on my turntable upgrade. I soon realized that no matter which turntable I got it was going to be utter trash. Also, out of my entire modest collection of 250 vinyls, I highly doubt that I own a single pressing that earns even a passable grade to that crowd. It is truly unreal over there.

** as a side note, I landed on a Rega Planar 2 table which to my ears is fantastic, but to them barely passes as entry level. :laugh2:

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the discussion of the Audiophile boards and mindset.

I did that whole "Audiophile" thing in the 80's. It's every bit as "cutthroat" as you are depicting. But the most "Freeing" and revelatory thing was when I decided to revive my interest in the last few years :

"Bragging Rights" don't really make you happy, because you have to spend your time bragging. I discovered that the difference between "consumer audio" and Audiophile was just $$$. I can be very happy listening to my "off the shelf" consumer grade gear. My "golden ears" aren't so much any more - decent speakers or headphones can be "good enough". Listen to the MUSIC, not the equipment.

My old vinyls still sound pretty good. New "quality" vinyls also sound pretty good to great. And I'm not reading spec sheets, I'm listening.

So, instead of searching high and low for "gear" that "looked good on paper", I bought a boat. Money in my wallet will always find a way out.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Here's my setup

Living Room Stereo Resized.jpg

Gemini XL 500-II direct drive with a Stanton EEE cartridge. I added a lexan platter and a center weight. The amp is a 1970 Harmon Kardon into a pair of KLH speakers. Great sounding rig, but I need to add more floor joists there as I can't walk in that room when the turntable is going! :cool:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Regarding the discussion of the Audiophile boards and mindset.

I did that whole "Audiophile" thing in the 80's. It's every bit as "cutthroat" as you are depicting. But the most "Freeing" and revelatory thing was when I decided to revive my interest in the last few years :

"Bragging Rights" don't really make you happy, because you have to spend your time bragging. I discovered that the difference between "consumer audio" and Audiophile was just $$$. I can be very happy listening to my "off the shelf" consumer grade gear. My "golden ears" aren't so much any more - decent speakers or headphones can be "good enough". Listen to the MUSIC, not the equipment.

My old vinyls still sound pretty good. New "quality" vinyls also sound pretty good to great. And I'm not reading spec sheets, I'm listening.

So, instead of searching high and low for "gear" that "looked good on paper", I bought a boat. Money in my wallet will always find a way out.
The attitude that really set me off was along the lines of, "if you can't hear the difference, good for you - it'll save you a lot of money if you can be satisfied with such inferior equipment." It's that same Golden Ear snobbery that we see in the instrument world, just seems worse among the audiophiles for whatever reason.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow, that escalated quickly...

I did WAY too much research (a polite term for obsessively devouring every online article, review and video I could find) and decided to take the plunge on a Technics 1500. I had a Technics when I was a younger man and the name carries some nostalgia for me, plus it got positive reviews and pretty much checked all the boxes for me spec-wise. I placed an order yesterday, assuming I'd be wait listed; that model is sold out from most retailers and I was told the company's supply chain is kinda F'd up at the moment.

To my utter shock, it was delivered today! From clicking submit order to delivery at my door in just over 24 hours! (Side note: Turntable Lab in Brooklyn is an A+ retailer.) Setup was an absolute breeze, and within 15 minutes of opening the box I am spinning my first LP on it.

1632962606056.jpg

A warning to any serious audiophiles: This is a trainwreck setup that obviously sounds atrocious. I am using the built-in phono preamp and going straight into powered studio monitors (gasp!). I am also running the TT just as it came out of the box, with the stock 2M Red cart and rubber mat (wretched vomiting sound). I did order an AT VM540 cart as well but for now I'm sticking with the Red, because...

wait for it...

IT SOUNDS DAMN GOOD.

I guess I'm blessed with enough auditory ignorance that I can get by with this garbage setup. Ears of stone, rejoice!

Last edited:

six-string

Reaction score
Wow, that escalated quickly...

I did WAY too much research (a polite term for obsessively devouring every online article, review and video I could find) and decided to take the plunge on a Technics 1500. I had a Technics when I was a younger man and the name carries some nostalgia for me, plus it got positive reviews and pretty much checked all the boxes for me spec-wise. I placed an order yesterday, assuming I'd be wait listed; that model is sold out from most retailers and I was told the company's supply chain is kinda F'd up at the moment.

To my utter shock, it was delivered today! From clicking submit order to delivery at my door in just over 24 hours! (Side note: Turntable Lab in Brooklyn is an A+ retailer.) Setup was an absolute breeze, and within 15 minutes of opening the box I am spinning my first LP on it.

View attachment 563331

A warning to any serious audiophiles: This is a trainwreck setup that obviously sounds atrocious. I am using the built-in phone preamp and going straight into powered studio monitors (gasp!). I am also running the TT just as it came out of the box, with the stock 2M Red cart and rubber mat (wretched vomiting sound). I did order an AT VM540 cart as well but for now I'm sticking with the Red, because...

wait for it...

IT SOUNDS DAMN GOOD.

I guess I'm blessed with enough auditory ignorance that I can get by with this garbage setup. Ears of stone, rejoice!

My suggestions would be fairly simple and not expensive but I bet would make an audible improvement.
1) isolate the turntable from the speakers more. you may not notice it, but you are probably getting feedback from the speakers into the cartridge. usually it's the bottom end-rumble. would be more noticeable at higher volume.
2) even a basic $100 phono preamp can improve the phono output over most standard receiver/amp phono units. cleaner sound, quieter etc. Pro-ject make a couple simple units that work well for instance.
3) buy more records! :)

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So, today I decided to swap the stock 2M Red cart out for the AT VM540. The difference was huge - made the sound really come alive. I listened to Let It Bleed and it was just glorious.

Then, while I was swapping out the LP, one of my five-year-old twins snuck behind me, grabbed the tonearm and dragged it across the empty mat, bending the stylus. A $250 cart, used once and ruined.

Sigh.

DotStudio

Reaction score
So, today I decided to swap the stock 2M Red cart out for the AT VM540. The difference was huge - made the sound really come alive. I listened to Let It Bleed and it was just glorious.

Then, while I was swapping out the LP, one of my five-year-old twins snuck behind me, grabbed the tonearm and dragged it across the empty mat, bending the stylus. A $250 cart, used once and ruined.

Sigh.
Yikes, I'd just throw it away at that point!

You have a spare kid anyways.

Latest Threads