You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Rob H.

Reaction score
A place called Simple Wood Goods. I stumbled on them while looking into various options. Not the most cost effective method out there but the cabinets are very well made and pretty much what I was hoping to find.

It would have been nice to have more finish options and skip doing it myself but I really like how they turned out and plan to add more as needed.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Damn... Outside my budget (plus I'm in Canada, my $ doesn't go very far in US).
Probably wait until lumber prices come back to reasonable levels and break out my tools. (Been telling myself that for a couple years now)
Probably borrow the design though

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn... Outside my budget (plus I'm in Canada, my $ doesn't go very far in US).
Probably wait until lumber prices come back to reasonable levels and break out my tools. (Been telling myself that for a couple years now)
Probably borrow the design though
Nahh... even in American Doll-Hairs those things are freaking expensive ;)

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

pnuggett

Reaction score
Ikea- Does the job. Very functional. Customizable. Strong. Affordable.

I have two Ikea units (no longer available) that are each two cubes high by four cubes width. Had them for years and are filled with albums. Really strong.. Mine are in my office/ music room so fine furniture would be overkill.

This might work if you can purchase without insert/open cabinets.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
I've been looking at this one..

View attachment 427760

and this one...

View attachment 427762

I think I'd be very happy with either. Plus I can always upgrade the cartridge later down the road.
I just picked up an Audio Technica for my Dad for Father's Day so he can listen to his collection that's been put away for the last 20 years.

Shhhhh. Don't tell him it's for him AND me. I'm the one that dug them out and realized he has a first pressing of The Allman Brothers Band 'At Fillmore East' tucked away in there!

So I made it my mission to buy him a new one so we can enjoy them together finally. All I remember was growing up hearing them nonstop. And all I could think was "ughhhh Dad is listening to his oldies again" lol. This would've been late 80s. I was 8 or 9 at the time.

Today, that's the music I prefer to listen to. Funny how that works. Lol. It's the reason I bought my first guitar. Actually, Duane Allman is the reason, to be exact. He inspired me to learn to play just recently. Dec 2019 I bought my first guitar.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In the age of digital everything, there's just something cathartic about using and listening to an actual physical vinyl record that you can hold in your hands.

efstop

Declining Rotten Apple
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just e-transferred the funds to the local audio store. Got an extra $22 off for prepaying. Hopefully it won't take long to be shipped to the store. The Pro-Ject site says Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, but a reviewer at whathihi.com says it's a Sumiko Rainier for the US. I'm in Canada, so I'll assume Ortofon.

Now I have to put away the ION Profile USB turntable to make way for the PJ-DCE

PapaSquash

Reaction score
I found a new local record store yesterday. It had a decent selection. The new and used were mixed in together which was a bit strange but was mostly due to space constraints. Ended up with a copy of Never Mind the Bollocks...Here's the Sex Pistols and a Paul Butterfield Blues Band album. Good times, good spins.
White Bear Lake?

six-string

Reaction score
I like my Orto 2M Red a lot. Really a nice cartridge, at a reasonable price point. I think you will like that choice.
I have an Ortofon 2M Bronze on my office table (Dual CS5000). Really unbeatable for the price i think.
The whole 2M series from Ortofon are nice. And what's good is that you can upgrade the stylus without changing the cartridge. Specifically if you buy the Red you can step up to the Blue stylus and it is completely compatible with the Red cartridge body. Likewise if you have the Bronze you can fit a Black stylus on the body and get the benefits of the upgraded needle. Not a lot of cartridge makers have that flexibility

six-string

Reaction score
Tomorrow is Record Store Day (round 1)
there are a couple items i will be looking for.
Steely Dan last 2 albums- Two Against Nature, and Everything Must Go (both long out of print).
Lou Reed- Set The Twilight Reeling (one of his best late period albums)
Doors- Morrison Hotel Sessions (outtakes, rough mixes of the classic album)

RSD round 2 is in July this year (yeah everything screwed up again due to you know what)

six-string

Reaction score
Took delivery of my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO today, and bought an anti static dust brush while I was there. Now I have to make a space on the wall unit for it, next to the TV. There's cleaning and sorting to be done.
Tv? Throw out that tv. You have a record player now! Priorities my good man. (Shakes head in disbelief).

Latest Threads