You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There's no hope for me ever moving it into the living room, so I'll have to make do.

I did move the subs to the middle (between the amp rack and rack holing the mono-blocks. Won't solve the real problem (cubic space), but may free up some bass. Had to order an longer inter-connect for the turntable so I haven't tried it out.

Last edited:

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I mentioned the Grado XG cart I have. It's a moving iron type. It's also very rare. Having only one arm, I was unable to install it on a Technics headshell. My Produce Guy took it home and did it for me. I just got it back. I use the same Tubes LP to test the carts I have. I have those whopper vintage Kenwood speakers with the 15" woofs. This Grado takes the cake hands down. The bass is magical. It's perfect for RR. I will prolly sell my Shure V15 iv. The Grado is way better. :hippie:

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

pnuggett

Reaction score
I mentioned the Grado XG cart I have. It's a moving iron type. It's also very rare. Having only one arm, I was unable to install it on a Technics headshell. My Produce Guy took it home and did it for me. I just got it back. I use the same Tubes LP to test the carts I have. I have those whopper vintage Kenwood speakers with the 15" woofs. This Grado takes the cake hands down. The bass is magical. It's perfect for RR. I will prolly sell my Shure V15 iv. The Grado is way better. :hippie:

There are more than one Grado XG carts and also stylus.. They vary in quality and price. Which one do you have and which stylus? That Shure cart is a really good cart. Did you try a news stylus in it?

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This XG was kinda like a special order. That's what the Grado people said to a guy that had one. I think my Shure is OK stylus-wise. It sounds kinda neutral. This XG is anything but. It was made for rock like I said. It would be harder to sell than the more well known 15 lV. I am listening to LZ 1 now. I know that LP played on many TT's by many carts.

Last edited:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm having a run of bad luck with my hifi system. One of the JBL 2402H ring radiators has lost about 90% of it's volume. The DCR looks good but something is up with the diaphragm. If I can't find a problem I can fix, I'll send both to Great Plains Audio to be rebuilt. These have ferrite magnets, where the older version had alnico. I had a pair of alnicos, but unloaded them as I felt the ferrites sounded a tad better. Probably just my imagination, but you know how it is with hifi gear.

2402H_1.jpg

2402H_2.jpg

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Which Tubes LP?

cheers.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
Which Tubes LP?

cheers.
I was gonna ask the same thing. I used Completion Backwards for stereo demos all the time when I was selling consumer audio. Ridiculously well-engineered record. Still holds up today against the best stuff out there. Outside Inside sounds just as good

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I opened up the ring-radiator and discovered the magnet had shifted and one of the voice-coil leads was partially shorted to ground.

In the first picture you can see the vc gap is completely wrecked, and the second pic is the munched voice-coil.

2402H_4.jpg

2402H_3.jpg

TheWelder

Reaction score
I found a new local record store yesterday. It had a decent selection. The new and used were mixed in together which was a bit strange but was mostly due to space constraints. Ended up with a copy of Never Mind the Bollocks...Here's the Sex Pistols and a Paul Butterfield Blues Band album. Good times, good spins.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have to ask. Where on the sliding scale does "Munched" sit in comparison to "Pooched" ? ;)

I feel bad making light of your misfortunes, Don. Not enough to stop, mind you, but I feel badly for you.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Highly technical terms, Bill. Like so many other things, their meaning can only be learned through years of experience. You won't find them in any fancy college book. But this tutorial may help.

Rob H.

Reaction score
Found a vinyl storage solution! I was running out of space putting them in the lower shelf of my end tables. And our new kitten was climbing on top of them. So they’ve been covered in cardboard the last few weeks waiting for these. They’re modular units and have a clear blue plastic door that slides out and drops from the top. I ordered them unfinished and applied a combination stain and clear-coat.

They filled up fast and I have some new records en route. I should have ordered 4.

818DC828-9475-4DA2-ABB4-516C586A26BA.jpeg

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Update on the ring-radiator. Great Plains Audio no longer works on JBL. So today I sent it to Speaker Express in FL at the recommendation of GPA. They said it would be about a week turnaround.

I'll use the time to add a speaker protection circuit to the Phase linear.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Where did you order from?
I've been meaning to build something for my small collection but never get around to it. That looks like it would be sufficient for my needs

Edit - referring to Rob's storage above

Latest Threads