You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how much presence horns & compression drivers add to the sound stage. I think too many audio enthusiasts miss out on this. When properly setup they add color to B&W sound.

It's astonishing the difference my 2402 ring radiators make. The difference between them and the JBL L-100 tweeters is night and day.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not very smart when it comes to transistor amps. I can sound smarter than I really am. :rofl: :rofl:
Transistors are just like tubes, except rather than voltage, they regulate cuuur-ent ;)
The base is the grid, the collector is the plate, and the emitter is the cathode.

All your grid are belong to us :D

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Transistors are just like tubes, except rather than voltage, they regulate cuuur-ent ;)
The base is the grid, the collector is the plate, and the emitter is the cathode.

All your grid are belong to us :D

I've done a few SS projects over the years, but not enough to create any depth of understanding. I did build a pair of monster bridged power amps (800WPC if I remember correctly). Fun projects. The chassis design/fabrication was a serious undertaking. Shedding that much heat was a real issue! What I haven't done is design any transistor circuits of any consequence. For me, that's the sort of thing that really creates knowledge. That and reading.

AV400-1-low.jpg

AV400-new-4.jpg

KTM

Reaction score
I've done a few SS projects over the years, but not enough to create any depth of understanding. I did build a pair of monster bridged power amps (800WPC if I remember correctly). Fun projects. The chassis design/fabrication was a serious undertaking. Shedding that much heat was a real issue! What I haven't done is design any transistor circuits of any consequence. For me, that's the sort of thing that really creates knowledge. That and reading.

View attachment 539065

View attachment 539066
Cool, (well, more likely hot), how much does this weigh? Is that front panel 1/4" thick aluminum?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Finally tried out the new (old) Phase Linear. I was please to see all the VU meter lamps work. It's not always these case with the old amps. And it pounds my subs!!

My office is WAY TOO small to enjoy the system. The room is barely large enough for a 20hz quarter wave-form to set up, and the standing waves reflected by confined space. In English that means you can't hear the bass. But in the living room below my office it sounds like the ceiling is coming down. :rofl: :rofl: As well, the hi-freqs peal the skin off my face because I can't get far enough away from the sound stage. Overall it's a system that's designed to come alive in a big room.

It's like standing in front of the stage at a Blue Cheer concert. But it makes me smile!

Last edited:

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
I was organizing my family room downstairs and I finally got something to put my records in. They had been sitting in milk crates for years. So here is my collection:
20210525_104258.jpg

The bottom shelf and the right quarter of the middle shelf are 12" singles of mostly techno and house from the early 90s. The rest are albums of mostly rock and metal and a few 45s. I would have had more records but I stupidly sold a lot in the 90s when I got them on CD.
20210525_104217.jpg

And this is my stereo system. The receiver and CD player were bought last year. My old receiver, a 1992 JVC, is in my living room now hooked up to the TV, it still sounds great. The CD player replaced a JVC from the early nineties that I think has bad caps now since it has distortion in the highs. The Denon drives CV AT-15 speakers that I had posted up thread.

The turntable is a Technics SL-DD22 that I got new in the 90s, the cartridge is Audio Technica from the late 2000s and I got a new stylus last year.

Last edited:

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
@Emmitt Fitzhume

so that N64 and Super Nintendo? ... we're just not going to talk about that?

Wow,.. just... wow.

View attachment 539950
I thought that was for the video game thread, haha. There's a ColecoVision under the CRT TV that's to the right of my stereo sitting on top of a VCR. Pretty old school in my family room.
20210525_160527.jpg

CD collection too and a Genesis.
20210525_160555.jpg

The more modern stuff is upstairs like the Switch, WiiU, even a GameCube.

six-string

Reaction score
Finally tried out the new (old) Phase Linear. I was please to see all the VU meter lamps work. It's not always these case with the old amps. And it pounds my subs!!

My office is WAY TOO small to enjoy the system. The room is barely large enough for a 20hz quarter wave-form to set up, and the standing waves reflected by confined space. In English that means you can't hear the bass. But in the living room below my office it sounds like the ceiling is coming down. :rofl: :rofl: As well, the hi-freqs peal the skin off my face because I can't get far enough away from the sound stage. Overall it's a system that's designed to come alive in a big room.

It's like standing in front of the stage at a Blue Cheer concert. But it makes me smile!
I'm not surprised. When I looked at your photo I thought...that is a small room for that much gear.
But in visual terms it is sexy as hell!

Latest Threads