You're officially a vinyl collector when....

six-string

Reaction score
Oooops! I did it again....
I wasn't really looking but this incredible turntable came up for sale used, at a price that i could not ignore.
So I bought it and I am blown away.
VPI Classic 1 (made in the US of A) with a brand new Hana ML cartridge.
The thing is a beast! platter alone weighs about 22 pounds. The base isn't much lighter.
This is one step beyond. Precision instrument. and the sound is glorious, rich and detailed.
Dead quiet between tracks. Bass to wobble your chessnuts! Treble to make the hair on your neck stand up. broad soundstage. Nice wide and front to back definition.
Loving it!
I may just sell off my cd player and cds.

873440-4147f45f-vpi-classic-1-turntable-black-oak-with-upgraded-ss-clamp-mint.jpg

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seeing the Pioneer receiver @six-string posted remined me I have something similar that's been bagged and stored for years upon years. It's a Pioneer SX-3700 from the early 80's when they started making things digital and ugly.

I'm not much of a Pioneer fan as I never liked their cheap MDF cabinets covered with wood-grain contact paper.

It's in very nice condition considering it's been stored in a bag since the 90's.

Pioneer_SX-3700_2.jpg

Pioneer_SX-3700_3.jpg

Pioneer_SX-3700_1.jpg

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Window-shopping last night I saw this on our local craigslist for $55. They were well respected and often compared to Dual. It's a German made ELAC Miracord 750. I'd buy it, but I know I'll never use it, and I don't really have room.

ELAC_Miracord_750.jpg

six-string

Reaction score
Window-shopping last night I saw this on our local craigslist for $55. They were well respected and often compared to Dual. It's a German made ELAC Miracord 750. I'd buy it, but I know I'll never use it, and I don't really have room.

My older brother had an Elac Miracord back in the early 70's. You are correct. They were well reviewed tables and stiff competition for Dual at the ttime. I seem to remember my brother traded it for a 72 Telecaster Custom.
Certainly that table would be a great deal for $55. Might need a little tune up but a great music maker.

fett

Reaction score
you can use an LP to make a control cavity cover for a Kramer guitar. :rofl: :hippie:

Deftone

Reaction score
All that old gear are so tactile. More knobs and buttons.
I love the VU meters. This one isn't tube but it sounds warm, listening to classic rock radio on it takes me back. Hope we can get the turntable working. My wife still has all of her old vinyl.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I can’t be the only one GASn for that “loudness” button on an old receiver? Loved those!

(My first intro to effects and tubes really, in a way, which boosted a low LP signal, rounded out the bottom and sort of masked the hiss of the high end a bit on old cheap turntables!)

What about this beast setup?

7417B191-226D-4245-B377-07C6F0AF1FDD.jpeg

fett

Reaction score
My '70's Sansui 9090db receiver has lots of buttons and knobs and switches and Dolby. I paid $4.00 for it. Time can play hell with the contacts. I learned this the hard way. Make sure the volume is way down when dicking around with them. :hippie: BTW. I attempted to use a record to make a cavity cover. It was very old vinyl and became very brittle. I couldn't cut it. I have about 5 or 6 hundred more. I'll find one that will work.

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Anyone know why the tone arm would come down onto the record, then immediately lift back up, and return the resting position? Then it repeats and it just keeps doing this, over and over.

I'm scanning an online manual now...

Skeletor

Reaction score
Anyone know why the tone arm would come down onto the record, then immediately lift back up, and return the resting position? Then it repeats and it just keeps doing this, over and over.

I'm scanning an online manual now...
What make/model?
I think my Dual did something similar when the steuropimpel (spelling?) Fell apart

fett

Reaction score
Older auto and semi-auto turntables have all kinds of gears and arms with slots and cams and very old lubricant. Sometimes, the cycle will not complete and goes TILT :hyper: Keep trying it and it might loosen up. Otherwise......

fett

Reaction score
I have a PL-350. I fool around with it and I haven't broken anything. I can't offer any advice. 530 I meant.

Last edited:

Latest Threads