You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
Back in the early 90s I sold a lot of my records that I had CDs of. A couple months ago I finished replacing the Zeppelin vinyl that I sold.

I also just ordered a new stylus for my 30 year old turntable and 20 year old phono cartridge. $116 for the stylus, I hope it's worth it. The cartridge is a really good one but since it's 20 years old or so replacement styli are hard to find and expensive. I thought of replacing the cartridge but I couldn't find a new p mount cartridge that was as good as my old one.

Last edited:

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Found out tonight the used Beatles record i bought for less than $5.00 is actually worth like $1,500.

I have the stickered over Second State Butcher cover (stereo). Pretty awesome.

Not selling it though, I put it on the turntable and listened to it.

Screenshot_20200424-181618_Opera Touch.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Yeah you like those young 'daddy issues' girls. :laugh2:
First question when I meet my daughter's (She's 20) friends is "So, who has daddy issues?" "Ever envisioned a career grasping a brass pole?"*

*For the record, I generally chase 30-something women.

Boss 302

Reaction score
A bit perverse, to admit this here.
I am listening to this right now, on mp3. :cheers2:

Don't worry, I have it on vinyl as well.
I just haven't set it up yet, looking for the right cabinet.:laugh2:

Not that I am looking to hard, the lock down here sucks.
You feel like a criminal, just going on a "BS" shopping trip. :rofl:

pnuggett

Reaction score
Found out tonight the used Beatles record i bought for less than $5.00 is actually worth like $1,500.

I have the stickered over Second State Butcher cover (stereo). Pretty awesome.

Not selling it though, I put it on the turntable and listened to it.

View attachment 457419

What a steal. Person must have been a complete moron to sell it for 5 bucks.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It was listed as a 1976 RE but it has the stickered cover. They only stickered the first run that had the butcher cover (1966). The rest were printed covers.

Pretty neat. I assume the original owner just didn't know the history of this album.

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
This is my turntable, a Technics SL-DD22 from around 1990. Still works great. The cartridge is an Audio Technica from the mid 90s. As mentioned a few posts back I just ordered a new stylus, should be here in a few days.
20200425_123329_resized.jpg

At the end of February I was in Vermont on a ski trip and came across this in a bookstore so I had to buy it. My teenage son picked up a Gorillaz picture disc there too.
20200425_123513_resized.jpg

Last edited:

six-string

Reaction score
This is my turntable, a Technics SL-DD22 from around 1990. Still works great. The cartridge is an Audio Technica from the mid 90s. As mentioned a few posts back I just ordered a new stylus, should be here in a few days.
View attachment 457762

At the end of February I was in Vermont on a ski trip and came across this in a bookstore so I had to buy it. My teenage son picked up a Gorillaz picture disc there too.
View attachment 457759

back in the80's i owned a similar Technics table. they are built like tanks. but as you are finding out, those plug in cartridges are not easy to come by. especially now. but if you've got a new stylus and it still sounds good....might as well enjoy it.
haven't heard the new Ozzy LP but i've seen it advertised. cheers!

Emmitt Fitzhume

Reaction score
back in the80's i owned a similar Technics table. they are built like tanks. but as you are finding out, those plug in cartridges are not easy to come by. especially now. but if you've got a new stylus and it still sounds good....might as well enjoy it.
haven't heard the new Ozzy LP but i've seen it advertised. cheers!
I think the stylus should be coming today or tomorrow then I'll play my new Ozzy record. I have listened to it on my phone since it included a digital download. It's got some good songs on it.

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've always loved vinyl. Back in the late 80s, early 90's, my turntable of choice was the Technics SL-1200. It was a beast and sounded amazing. I don't recall the cartridge I was using at the time. That model was of course the DJ standard as far as turntables were concerned. I remember paying around $500 for it new back then. We'll add another $100 or so for the sylus.

I look on Amazon to see what shit's going for now and see this lunacy.

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yup. Prices are insane. (you can find them for less than that but they're still over $1,000.)

AudioTechnica is the next best thing.

My AT120 is a lot like that Technics 1200,

sdsds.png

so is my Reloop RP-7000

fgff.png

I have to say my AT1240 though has become my favorite, and it's the one I was least excited about at first because the design of it looks so modern and rounded. But it's a hell of a great player. Very tank like, and it has the best cue-lever out of all 3 (all metal, no plastic) ... and I like the blue strobe light versus the red and white of the other two players.

Also Reloop charged me an extra $55. for the dust cover, while the AT1240 came with one at no extra cost.

audio-technica-at-lp-1240.png

.... and yet I still think about a U-Turn Orbit,... because I have a sickness apparently, and the U-Turn Orbits look like fantastic turntables.

Last edited:

Ed B

Reaction score
I've always loved vinyl. Back in the late 80s, early 90's, my turntable of choice was the Technics SL-1200. It was a beast and sounded amazing. I don't recall the cartridge I was using at the time. That model was of course the DJ standard as far as turntables were concerned. I remember paying around $500 for it new back then. We'll add another $100 or so for the sylus.

I look on Amazon to see what shit's going for now and see this lunacy.
Check Craigslist. They're regularly $400, most of the time with a cartridge. Though you'd probably want to swap. They're still beasts and still sound amazing. I bought an original MKii about a year and a half ago.

ACEit

Reaction score
I have a technics sl-1500 and about 500 vinyls.. all led zeppeling's, most of the firts pink floyd's.. deep purple.... since I replaced my main amp with an HT without a Phono in... I have to buy a preamp..

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... and yet I still think about a U-Turn Orbit,... because I have a sickness apparently, and the U-Turn Orbits look like fantastic turntables.
And maybe a little bit because you know someone that has one ?

The Orbit is really good. But nothing necessarily "better" than what you already have ? Really, it just looks cool. Oh, also a good Metal Cuing lever. And I actually "miss" the strobe for speed "verification". But that just opens the door for "accessories" ?

Latest Threads