You're officially a vinyl collector when....

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had all varieties of shipments from Amazon. Last few albums have come packed in a double-walled mailer sealed, and then packed inside of a larger box. Nothing has arrived damaged but I knock on wood.

The worst issue I had was with an album I ordered that was never delivered. Trying to get Amazon to "replace" that lost item sent me into a customer service spiral, where they wouldn't ship me a new one until I "Returned" the defective item (Missing !). I ended up just buying it a second time. I was pissed, but I got over it.

Ed B

Reaction score
I've returned a few from Amazon, but they usually arrive perfect. 2 were delivered this week. Both in record boxes. One inside a bigger box. One in a plastic bag. Not the bubble wrap bag either. Still, no issues.

The beauty of Amazon is they'll take em back without hesitation. Unlike Bill's experience. My replacements have shipped immediately. With the promise that I'll return the original within a couple weeks. More often than not I'll have both copies in hand.

It's my #1 resource for new vinyl. I love it.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Unlike Bill's experience.
In that specific case, it was most likely my error, in how I tried to deal with Amazon using their CS process. I could have gotten worked up, and pushed the issue, and I'm sure it would have gotten resolved. It just wasn't worth the aggravation to me, as the cost of the album (a current, new one that was readily available) wasn't worth my time or energy.

Otherwise, Amazon been 'berry 'berry good to me.

Malikon

I'm gonna let you down And leave you flat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's weird with me with every order there's a return/replace button. I just click the button and they send a replacement right away.

Only once have I ever had something not show up (or get stolen) but they replaced it.

Oddly it was the very first thing I ever ordered from them so I imagine it looked really sketchy but they still replaced it.

Ed B

Reaction score
I've had returns on other things that were accepted without hesitation but weren't so quick. I returned a TV last year. It arrived with a broken screen. I asked for a refund, not a replacement. It was a 3rd party seller. Usually Amazon refunds me shortly after the item is scanned at UPS. Being 3rd party they wanted it back before it was refunded.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
.....and when my 8 - track broke. :)
....oh man I’ve got boxes of 8 tracks I haven’t played since the 90’s!

Last time the machine broke it swallowed my Pink Floyd Ummagumma 8 track. I was so pissed I havent touched them since.

Something about that sound and just playing em. There was an 8track in the families 72 Buick Le Sabre way back too.

Funny how late 90’s they were touting super hi fidelity and surround sound as the thing, downplaying mp3s and look where we are today.
Compressed files are the thing! Lol

Love the 8 track sound. Think I’ll be looking for a new player soon.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a functioning 8-track machine since probably '84
Last time I actually used an 8-track was maybe '92....

I'd had several stereos stolen from my cars.
Insurance company said that they were not covering any more.
I bought a couple of 8-tracks at the swap meet... tossed a couple on the passenger seat and stuck one on top of the dash mat with velcro.

Never had another problem with break-ins.

Somewhere in the garage or storage unit, I probably still have Ted Nugent (self-titled), Toys in the Attic, and Cheech & Chong's Wedding Album.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
Most of the time they come in those mailers. Sometimes they're loose like you saw.
Once i got one loose in a big plastic envelope.

Amazon is retarded
When I got the other 2 BabyMetal albums, I got one packed in the mailer and the other one was loose underneath it. But none of them have been messed up yet.

But right now, I'm waiting on 2 shipment of records off Discogs, a very expensive record off Ebay, and I just ordered 5 more off Amazon.

I'm not saying I have a problem, but...

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Too lazy for pics but today I picked up:

The Beatles- Let it Be Naked
The Who - Live at Leeds
Monster Magnet - Spine of God
Czarface - The Odd Czar Against Us

So nice.

six-string

Reaction score
i received a copy of the 45 RPM (2 disc) release of the Doors LA Woman from Analogue Productions last week.
man oh man does it sound GREAT!
i should point out these are ALL analogue mastered direct from the original tapes, cut at 1/2 speed on virgin 200 gram vinyl.

here's what the Doors original producer had to say about this reissue.

"I received test pressings today for both Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman. I have to tell you that these are the very best pressings I've heard in many, many moons. Great plating and your compound is so quiet that I clearly heard every fade out to its conclusion with no problem. Doug (Sax) and company did a lovely job, the tapes sound pretty damn good for being almost 50 years old and his system is clearly the best...You should be very proud of what you and your troops are doing." - Bruce Botnick, The Doors producer/engineer
AAPP_75011-45__78318__03042020034253-8573.jpg

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just got a batch of collector sleeves for the records. Some of the records (like the Beatles Red and Blue) just came with cardboard sleeves and I kept wondering whether the cardboard will scuff up the record?

So i just bought some of the plastic sleeves that have rice paper wrapped in plastic.

Most of the reissues these days come with a nice plastic sleeve so it seems odd to me that some records still come with a hard cardboard sleeve you're supposed to store the record in.

... and some of them are really tough to get the record out of, like the cardboard sleeve is just barely wider than the record itself.

six-string

Reaction score
Yes definitely save wear and tear on your records by using a good quality sleeve. Some folks remove any inner cardboard sleeve and/or inserts, lyric sheets etc and store them separately to make it easier to put the record in/out of the main sleeve.
I agree about some inner cardboard sleeves can be very tight and difficult to handle. And of course put your precious vinyl at risk. Often the cardboard just splits over time anyway.
Lots of options for inner sleeves. I recommend the rice paper in plastic variety.
518Ic8YNO3L._AC_.jpg

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

BornToLooze

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I was going to listen to a record, and as soon as a dropped the needle, it jumped off the record and landed on the platter and broke my stylus off.

Looks like it's time for a Ortofon Red and a bunch of how to set up your turntable videos, because apparently I did something wrong when I set it up.

Ed B

Reaction score
Ouch. Seems like a better door has already opened. Good luck.

pnuggett

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure what happened, but I was going to listen to a record, and as soon as a dropped the needle, it jumped off the record and landed on the platter and broke my stylus off.

Looks like it's time for a Ortofon Red and a bunch of how to set up your turntable videos, because apparently I did something wrong when I set it up.

Sounds like something may have been set too high.

Latest Threads