You're officially a vinyl collector when....

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just looked at Amazon.ca and $170 for the 100 LP size!
Yeah, I bought one, as a "starter", because my main storage was over-flowing. About the time I got it, and decided that these crates were a better solution and I was going to need several more, the price shot up. They are still worth it, for the portability, alone. But I artificially limit my record expenses, or I could go crazy, and this is now a "necessity" that is affecting the Record purchase budget.

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought one, as a "starter", because my main storage was over-flowing. About the time I got it, and decided that these crates were a better solution and I was going to need several more, the price shot up. They are still worth it, for the portability, alone. But I artificially limit my record expenses, or I could go crazy, and this is now a "necessity" that is affecting the Record purchase budget.
Yeah I’m trying to keep my spending down as well. Thinking about the ol faithful Kallax from IKEA now...

pnuggett

Reaction score
Ya - Amazon.ca keeps trying to sell me that one but I can't justify the cost for the "half size".
I'll probably do an Ikea run or perhaps just build something
Or get the IKEA and build it.

Ed B

Reaction score
I'm in a "temporary" storage phase. Once I set up the basement the way I'd like. I'm either going to build or buy something. Something furniture like. Until then. I have these.

If you go with these crates know that they're thin. I put a piece of wood on the back so they don't bend. I also have them on the floor. Not stacked. Not sure how they'd hold up if stacked.

I love Mal's crates. I'm just not spending that.

KevinM

Reaction score
Thorens

find one used

Yep. Back in the 70s I had a Thorens belt drive with a really compliant Grace cartridge. Damn! That thing could track anything. Even the cannons on the red label 1812 overture. Lost it in a divorce. Still have all my vinyl though. That said, I don't think you can beat a good streaming device for fidelity. I've done a lot of A/B/C comparisons between vinyl, CD and Sonos using Google play streaming. Streaming is the way to go and is so much more convenient

Fracture

Reaction score
Yep. Back in the 70s I had a Thorens belt drive with a really compliant Grace cartridge. Damn! That thing could track anything. Even the cannons on the red label 1812 overture. Lost it in a divorce. Still have all my vinyl though. That said, I don't think you can beat a good streaming device for fidelity. I've done a lot of A/B/C comparisons between vinyl, CD and Sonos using Google play streaming. Streaming is the way to go and is so much more convenient
completely agree, my Thorens was so nice that a very reputable mid / hi-fi shop made mine' disappear' on a $35 clean and adjust special -----assholes

Try Tidal - I bought a refurbed Vault (look back upstream for links)
they even offer something for mobile apps now + they're adding video

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah the Odyssey crates are fantastic and I know I'm going to need a couple more. But the price almost doubling at once is total bullshit. :mad:

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
I finally ordered a better record player, an AT LP120.

I also realized how bad I have the vinyl disease that I'm considering buying a $130 record to break in my turntable when it gets here.
I - and this is no joke - timed my purchase of a new Turntable to have it arrive on the same "Release day" of the Super-Deluxe Abbey Road re-issue. And the same UPS driver delivered both packages at the same time.

It's a sickness. But I don't want a cure.

Malikon

she's so heavy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I finally ordered a better record player, an AT LP120.

I also realized how bad I have the vinyl disease that I'm considering buying a $130 record to break in my turntable when it gets here.

It's a good player.

Soon you'll be looking at Ortofon carts and stylus :laugh2:

Ed B

Reaction score

Latest Threads