You're officially a vinyl collector when....

HearHear

Reaction score
I have to believe that the Universal Music fire of 2008, which destroyed a building containing thousands of original master tapes from famous artists across the spectrum, will make certain mint vinyl records that much more valuable. A lot was lost in that fire- original master recordings of Duke Ellington, Bing Crosby, Chuck Berry, Neil Diamond, Elton John, the Carpenters, Janet Jackson, Nirvana, Tom Petty, Police, Sting, and thousands of other master recordings we’re lost. I’m no recording expert, but I believe as time goes on mint vinyl will be the closest you‘ll be able to get to those original master recordings. Especially the ones recorded in the ‘50’s and 60’s.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
I picked up Bullets and Revenge by My Chemical Romance.

It's not just a phase mom.

six-string

Reaction score
Got a few new audiophile pressings in the mail this week.
First up...Mobile Fidelity "One-Step" 45RPM version of Yes- Fragile.

This was absolutely outstanding sonically. Each instrument is so clear and life-like. a very vivid, uncompressed "live" sound. These ultra high fidelity releases are not for those on a budget...but most enjoyable.

Next was the Mobile Fidelity 45 RPM version of Dire Straits first LP.
Although not as dramatic an improvement over earlier versions, still a great audio treat. Being able to hear the separation of each of the different guitar parts on various tracks is nice. The track "In The Gallery" really grabbed my attention. Tight bass and fine drum work.
MFSL45UD1S-012-2.jpg
MFSL2-466-2.jpg

Malikon

I'm gonna let you down And leave you flat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got a few new audiophile pressings in the mail this week.
First up...Mobile Fidelity "One-Step" 45RPM version of Yes- Fragile.

This was absolutely outstanding sonically. Each instrument is so clear and life-like. a very vivid, uncompressed "live" sound. These ultra high fidelity releases are not for those on a budget...but most enjoyable.

Next was the Mobile Fidelity 45 RPM version of Dire Straits first LP.
Although not as dramatic an improvement over earlier versions, still a great audio treat. Being able to hear the separation of each of the different guitar parts on various tracks is nice. The track "In The Gallery" really grabbed my attention. Tight bass and fine drum work. View attachment 439482View attachment 439483
Interesting, I never heard of those. They look about $50.?

I guess that's worth it for a great album.

(I'm embarrassed by what I paid for some of the Japanese stuff. :laugh2: )

six-string

Reaction score
They can squeeze a full side on at 45?
No. 45 RPM versions of LPs are split over 2 X 12 inch LPs. the average side is about 12-15 minutes maximum.
The advantages or reasons they produce these type of pressings is they are cut from 1/2 speed masters of the original analogue source, and at 45 RPM using 180 gm or 200 gm vinyl the background or noise floor is significantly reduced.
i can honestly say that on my system, these play back with black silence between tracks.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Got my new steuropimpel installed (off to Google?) Along with new belts and my old (maybe 1980?) DUAL turntable is back in action. The Project/Klipsch I bought a while back will be delegated to being a spare.
Picked up a Picture disk today - live Motorhead.
Pink Floyd on the platter tonight.

Malikon

I'm gonna let you down And leave you flat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fantastic album!!

I've picked up Shut Up and Play your Guitar (boxset), and Sleep Dirt,.. but I still like Hot-Rats the best. It's just a great album.

bilbarstow

Premium Member
Reaction score
@Shred Astaire do you limit yourself to purchasing Red (pink-ish ?) vinyl so that you have color coordination ? (Something that I'd definitely believe about @Malikon :naughty: )

Latest Threads