You're officially a vinyl collector when....

rogue3

Reaction score
the subwoofer and the built in EQ in the amplifier is amazing. I can make the room thump like a low-rider at a stoplight! :laugh2:

When I was a kid my parents are like, "turn it down!" Now I've got my daughters texting me, "Dad it's too loud it's shaking the house!"

:laugh2:
That is so funny! and endearing.;) . Save the texts and frame them.I used to get that response from my daughters when i was holed up in the basement cranking a Hiwatt Halfstack, lol! They would come home flash the basements lights,and yell dad,we can hear you from the street!... Well...yeah! :cool2:

Now,10 short years later,my daughters are coming over this christmas, wearing Megadeth and Queen t-shirts expecting to hear it loud.With christmas turkey!
So,basement with PA.a few halfstacks,music out,along with my vintage vinyl collection.they won't be disappointed.
They've changed and it seems i am to blame!

...turntable is still on the bucket list,but i keep deviating(drooling at a Gibson Hummingbird):naughty:

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
I have a friend here very much into vinyl who's been an audiophile and collector since 'back in the day'. And he swears the level of quality in speakers, amps, and turntables is so high these days you can build a complete system for under $1,000. that rivals the uber-expensive systems of yesterday.

He's talking about when you'd spend $3,000 just on the speakers.

He's actually one of the guys that most got me into collecting vinyl, he knows so much about the systems and how they work it's a bit bonkers.

MLP is a goldmine for knowledge though. There really does seem to be people here that know everything about everything.

Alright Mal, I need to know what components your friend is referring to...

I need to do some upgrading

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just get a Linn and be done with it. That should use up most of your money for the next few years. :)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looks like the Orbit U-Turn, very nice.

I found what I was looking for though. Maybe in a couple years I'll get another turntable.

I definitely think there's a law of diminishing returns with this stuff on the higher end where you start spending a ton of money for a potentially tiny increase in "quality" that might not even be all that perceptible.
No???? Really???? Ya think??? :run:

Bwaaaa-haaa-haaaa!

One of us. One of us. One of us. One of us.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Now you've done it... I can see Mal heading out to Home Depot to buy a jug of glue!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lol,...no

I mean maybe
Get a good record cleaning system. Spin-Clean is an example of such. No need for multi-hundred $$$ systems.

Get an anti-static gun.

Get a good brush (do NOT cheap out here).

Get some premium record liners.

Get some premium jacket covers.

scrumm21

Reaction score
Still using my 1978 Phillips 212 turntable.... I dug it out 2 years ago...replaced the drive belt and been reliving my past lol. Actually got another 212 turntable that has Never been out of the box ( bought a drive belt for it too for the day it gets used) When I 1st got it back in '78 I played it thru two 4' Towers loaded with Eminence speakers. Used to put em on the back patio and rock the neighborhood lol

b118a158-09f5-11e6-81e1-85723440354f.jpg

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
some think belt drive is quieter since the motor is removed from the platter.

I wanted direct drive because it's stable, the belt wont wear out or get loose, the spinning speed stays consistent,.. and because most reviews I read say you never actually hear the motor anyway.

belt drive is a higher end system, and the one's like the U-Turn and the Pro-Ject that were posted here do look seriously cool and they should all be high-end parts. The belt will eventually loosen though and need replacing,.. the records will stop spinning at the proper speed.

They're seriously classy and awesome looking.

Either one will play records though.

Seriously I have a $50. plastic turntable I bought basically as a joke, just because I wanted to hear the first Van Halen album on vinyl. Now that little turntable plugged into a nice amplifier and speakers and sub-woofer, sound amazing. So to my mind there's no way a turntable that costs $200-$300, or $500 is going to sound "bad".

...that being said there's turntables that cost thousands. :shrug: ... I guess you just get the best you can afford, or the most you actually feel like spending.

The one I got is direct, it has lights built in (the strobe light for timing, but also a cue light so you can see the top of the record in the dark if you want to jump to a certain track). It has the lever arm, anti-skate, a speed slider, the configurable weight on the back of the tone-arm,.. the platter is a solid aluminum, it has a dust cover... all in all I think it's going to be a great player.

And I can always buy a 'really nice=expensive' cart and headshell to put on it if I want to later. But all the reviews I read say the cart that comes with it is actually pretty good. That stylus alone is worth what my entire (current) turntable costs right now. :laugh2:

I'm pretty excited to get the new turn-table. :dude:

Caoimhin

Reaction score
I have a cheap 100.00 all-in-one unit but I'm looking to upgrade. I'll need a stereo/receiver too. I don't mind paying for good equipment but there's no way I can afford Macintosh so what other good brands are out there?

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
some think belt drive is quieter since the motor is removed from the platter.

I wanted direct drive because it's stable, the belt wont wear out or get loose, the spinning speed stays consistent,.. and because most reviews I read say you never actually hear the motor anyway.

belt drive is a higher end system, and the one's like the U-Turn and the Pro-Ject that were posted here do look seriously cool and they should all be high-end parts. The belt will eventually loosen though and need replacing,.. the records will stop spinning at the proper speed.

They're seriously classy and awesome looking.

Either one will play records though.

Seriously I have a $50. plastic turntable I bought basically as a joke, just because I wanted to hear the first Van Halen album on vinyl. Now that little turntable plugged into a nice amplifier and speakers and sub-woofer, sound amazing. So to my mind there's no way a turntable that costs $200-$300, or $500 is going to sound "bad".

...that being said there's turntables that cost thousands. :shrug: ... I guess you just get the best you can afford, or the most you actually feel like spending.

The one I got is direct, it has lights built in (the strobe light for timing, but also a cue light so you can see the top of the record in the dark if you want to jump to a certain track). It has the lever arm, anti-skate, a speed slider, the configurable weight on the back of the tone-arm,.. the platter is a solid aluminum, it has a dust cover... all in all I think it's going to be a great player.

And I can always buy a 'really nice=expensive' cart and headshell to put on it if I want to later. But all the reviews I read say the cart that comes with it is actually pretty good. That stylus alone is worth what my entire (current) turntable costs right now. :laugh2:

I'm pretty excited to get the new turn-table. :dude:
Correct!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Mal, someone mentioned that the front end is critical. I agree....not much different than recording studio philosophy really where the mic and the mic preamp are crucial.
The analogy is the turntable and the phono preamp. I don't know what you're using for a phono pre at the moment (integrated in your receiver?) , but I just want to flag your attention to this little gem I found. If you can solder it's an easy couple of of hours to assemble and boy does it sound great!
Very clever engineering. High voltage tube phono preamp. Mrs G and I listen to vinyl every weekend and this pre is a giant killer. Yuuuggge bang for the buck.

Cornet3

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Last time I counted I had more than 2,000 vynyl albums and more 7" & 12" singles.
The last time I counted was in the 70's.
One day I'll be bored and decide to put the time in all over again.

Currently I have twice as many CD's than that (still prefer physical to MP3's).
Rewards of buying with a salary, compared to pocket money.

:dude:

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Mrs G and I listen to vinyl every weekend and this pre is a giant killer. Yuuuggge bang for the buck.

Cornet3
Hi Freddy,
How are you cooling those tubes when they're on?

PS.
Freddy, remember I saw Mrs. G. first (MLP rules).
:naughty:

Latest Threads