You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Animals. If you don't have that, then DSOTM.
The first few Metallica albums,.... Megadeth Peace Sells or Rust in Peace ... Baby-Metal ... an original pressing of Led Zeppelin 1 (very happy to have that one, and it still sounds great for a 50 year old record),..... Van Halen 1 (again) ... Iron Maiden .... I've got some really cool options.

Motown

Jackie Brown Soundtrack,...

I've picked up some great albums...

(hopefully that link works to share)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Auditioning new audio gear, I go with stuff I almost never listen to, normally, like Hilary Hahn (violinist) and Norah Jones. I don't know why, but that's what I do.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I have this one at home (Bang&Olufsen) but it needs to be adjusted.
And who does that in 2019?
:dunno:

I used to be somewhat of a freak.
The record cleaning brush, the stylus cleaning mini-brush with the blue liquid...
I would record some of my LP's on a top of the line HK tape recorder to avoid playing them too often...
Good times.

All my LP's are in boxes now. My old receiver needs a new output transistor or something.
Eventually I will get everything running again.
But those records take a lot of space.

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah I have the brush, and the center weight (with a built in level), and the scale to measure the weight of the tone-arm, and the little sticky circle to clean the stylus tip...

..it's an addiction

...I was warned.

1576895115614.png

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I have this one at home (Bang&Olufsen) but it needs to be adjusted.
And who does that in 2019?
:dunno:

I used to be somewhat of a freak.
The record cleaning brush, the stylus cleaning mini-brush with the blue liquid...
I would record some of my LP's on a top of the line HK tape recorder to avoid playing them too often...
Good times.

All my LP's are in boxes now. My old receiver needs a new output transistor or something.
Eventually I will get everything running again.
But those records take a lot of space.
I love vintage B&O stuff. I don't own any at the moment, but I am eyeballing it constantly. In the 9th grade, one of my friend's dad had the Beosystem and it was straight out of the future. Their speakers kinda suck (but look cool) , but you can swap in some Dynaudio and keep things all in the Danish family.

cmh6122

Reaction score
Do not know how many times I heard DSOTM (without alteration) through the JBLs that were hooked to the Kenwood reciever that my older brother brought home from VN.
In my time was a gunbunny so have been freed of all pretense that my ears can differentiate between between a good solid state and a tube amp.
Though I doubt anyone in my household besides Maddie (a canine buddy) could hear the difference have no doubt that as good as digital has gotten it still be only an approximation of what analog does. Wonder what sound would be like if the same energy had gone into improving analog technology as has gone into digital.
"The world wonders"

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Do not know how many times I heard DSOTM (without alteration) through the JBLs that were hooked to the Kenwood reciever that my older brother brought home from VN.
In my time was a gunbunny so have been freed of all pretense that my ears can differentiate between between a good solid state and a tube amp.
Though I doubt anyone in my household besides Maddie (a canine buddy) could hear the difference have no doubt that as good as digital has gotten it still be only an approximation of what analog does. Wonder what sound would be like if the same energy had gone into improving analog technology as has gone into digital.
"The world wonders"
I have a friend here very much into vinyl who's been an audiophile and collector since 'back in the day'. And he swears the level of quality in speakers, amps, and turntables is so high these days you can build a complete system for under $1,000. that rivals the uber-expensive systems of yesterday.

He's talking about when you'd spend $3,000 just on the speakers.

He's actually one of the guys that most got me into collecting vinyl, he knows so much about the systems and how they work it's a bit bonkers.

MLP is a goldmine for knowledge though. There really does seem to be people here that know everything about everything.

parts

Reaction score
I don't always go vinyl..but when I do i use my old Rabco Harmon Kardon ST7

Into Nakamichi 600 pre..to SAE 250 Watt with DQ10 Dalquist speakers and DQ1 sub.. Then split to 10" Sonab bottom firing from 100W SAE..of course SAE parametric..and clip/scratch remove unit..Nakamichi 1000 3 head..Sony CD 6 changer..and a Sony linear table
A little "pushy" but back when folks would party and enjoy.. Still pumps some mean sounds..

Last edited:

Malikon

RIP Atomic Punk
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looks like the Orbit U-Turn, very nice.

I found what I was looking for though. Maybe in a couple years I'll get another turntable.

I definitely think there's a law of diminishing returns with this stuff on the higher end where you start spending a ton of money for a potentially tiny increase in "quality" that might not even be all that perceptible.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I don't always go vinyl..but when I do i use my old Rabco Harmon Kardon ST7

Into Nakamichi 600 pre..to SAE 250 Watt with DQ10 Dalquist speakers and DQ1 sub.. Then split to 10" Sonab bottom firing from 100W SAE..of course SAE parametric..and clip/scratch remove unit..Nakamichi 1000 3 head..Sony CD 6 changer..and a Sony linear table
A little "pushy" but back when folks would party and enjoy.. Still pumps some mean sounds..
As much as I think of myself as a 'tube' guy, I seem to have a lot of high end Nak stuff hanging around. I still use my Nak CD1 as a transport. A 30+ year old Nak tape deck (Dragon) will cost you >$2k... They must have been doing something right.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
looks like the Orbit U-Turn, very nice.

I found what I was looking for though. Maybe in a couple years I'll get another turntable.

I definitely think there's a law of diminishing returns with this stuff on the higher end where you start spending a ton of money for a potentially tiny increase in "quality" that might not even be all that perceptible.
It's the 80 - 20 rule!

At a certain point, yo have to spend 80% more to get 20% more in results/value.
Worth it? Not sure.
But that's where the fun is! LOL !
Not even sure about the fun either.
Whatever, vinyl is cool.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Outstanding, Mal! But I hate seeing this stuff. The audio geek part of me is just dying to get back into vinyl, but the practical side of my brain says it's a fools errand. It's not going to take much to push me over the edge.

If I pick up a turntable it would likely be an old Thorens or Marantz.

The first time I heard JBL hifi speakers was listening to DSOM my freshman year of college ('72). Life has never been the same since.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When you're ready to jump to some serious speakers we'll have to talk about JBL.

The vinyl rabbit hole is nothing compared to the one you went down when you started your stereo system. It won't be long before were talking about tri-amping.

Latest Threads