You're officially a vinyl collector when....

Malikon

Here come old flat top He come groovin' up slowly
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
you see this in a movie and get triggered....

1576889968445.png

I'm just like,

"WHY? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!?"

1gzlx2.jpg

I'm watching the movie like, "oh that's a pretty cool turntable! Are the speakers built in? Is that like a big old turntable system with attached speakers? I wonder if...."

2 seconds later I'm like...

why-would-you-5c6361.jpg

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my own system is coming along, I just got the subwoofer and speaker stands this week...

20191220_200406.jpg

the final piece (a really good turntable) I'll pick up in 2020. Probably in January or February. I'm looking at the Audio Technica 120x, but the U-Turn Orbit Plus in (limited edition) dark purple looks really cool too.

I probably will go with the AT though. I like the sleek modern look of it.

the vinyl collection is coming along nicely too....

20191220_200834.jpg

I was warned by MLP that vinyl collecting is an addictive rabbit-hole,.. .and MLP was right. It is.

They sound so good though

Last edited:

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
the subwoofer and the built in EQ in the amplifier is amazing. I can make the room thump like a low-rider at a stoplight! :laugh2:

When I was a kid my parents are like, "turn it down!" Now I've got my daughters texting me, "Dad it's too loud it's shaking the house!"

:laugh2:

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
you see this in a movie and get triggered....

View attachment 427751

I'm just like,

"WHY? WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!?"

View attachment 427752

I'm watching the movie like, "oh that's a pretty cool turntable! Are the speakers built in? Is that like a big old turntable system with attached speakers? I wonder if...."

2 seconds later I'm like...

View attachment 427753
So what happened in the movie? I don’t know the reference.

I had to look up the two TTs you mentioned. I’m not so much of an audiophile that I knew the models. Of the two, I’d probably go with the AT too, if for no other reason than that it has the dust cover. I’m kind of obsessive about getting dust on the stylus and dragging it around the discs.

Our TT is a direct drive too. The real audiophiles prefer belt drives, but I’ve never been able to detect the motor noise. Ours is an 80s pioneer that we bought from a vinyl co-op our nearest big city is unique enough to have. It was refurbed by the owner, a dude VERY passionate about vinyl. I eventually upgraded the stylus to an Ortofon Super OM, and bought a scale to properly set the stylus force.

Our TT doesn’t have a built in pre-amp, so I found a decent Denon receiver at a pawn shop. The only thing that receiver gets used for is the preamp, and routing signal to our outside speaker set up. The next upgrade I have in mind is building a tube pre-amp for it. I’ve built a couple guitar amps and think it’d be a fun project.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
I've been looking at this one..

View attachment 427760

and this one...

View attachment 427762

I think I'd be very happy with either. Plus I can always upgrade the cartridge later down the road.
I guess I saw the wrong UTurn. Belt driven, comes with a dust cover, and has an Ortofon OM on it to start with.

That’s probably the direction I’d go. That’s a lot of turntable for the money.

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
looking at pics just now I just noticed that Sweetwater actually had the Audio Technica in stock, so I ordered it.

The final piece of my system will be here tuesday. :dude:

...to think this all started just because I wanted to hear Van Halen 1 on vinyl,.. and then it snowballed from there.

It's taken close to a year to get all the components together. Though to be fair it's because I kept buying records instead of stereo components. :laugh2:

Whoo I'm psyched!

I guess I saw the wrong UTurn. Belt driven, comes with a dust cover, and has an Ortofon OM on it to start with.

That’s probably the direction I’d go. That’s a lot of turntable for the money.
Yeah an MLP member here turned me onto them, they look really cool. I went with the AT though, it has a lever arm and the built in lights, and the dots for setting the timing speed too. The AT has a lot of cool features too.

Though the plexi-glass platter and the cool colors that U-Turn offer for the Orbits and damn nice too. And my friend loves his Orbit. I've been going back and forth between the two for a couple months.

Our TT doesn’t have a built in pre-amp, so I found a decent Denon receiver at a pawn shop. The only thing that receiver gets used for is the preamp, and routing signal to our outside speaker set up.
I'm really digging the Sony amp I got. It has blutooth too, and a remote and EQ. So I can sit at my desk and if the mood hits me to hear the stereo I have the remote on my desk and can just stream music from my phone. It's pretty sweet!

So what happened in the movie? I don’t know the reference.

His fingers on the vinyl took me out of the movie and made me want to yell at him. :laugh2:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
my own system is coming along, I just got the subwoofer and speaker stands this week...

View attachment 427755

the final piece (a really good turntable) I'll pick up in 2020. Probably in January or February. I'm looking at the Audio Technica 120x, but the U-Turn Orbit Plus in (limited edition) dark purple looks really cool too.

I probably will go with the AT though. I like the sleek modern look of it.

the vinyl collection is coming along nicely too....

View attachment 427757

I was warned by MLP that vinyl collecting is an addictive rabbit-hole,.. .and MLP was right. It is.

They sound so good though
Love the Greta!

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Keep your eyes peeled for a used Rega Planar 2...

If you're going to be an audio snob, you need to spend the most money on your 'source'...
I went with this...

it's a HUGE step up from the turntable I have now. .. which honestly was a cheap 'toy' I bought just to listen to the Van Halen album I bought.

But then I realized I couldn't really hear the bass,.. then I start researching about amplifiers and RIAA curves and...

...yeah I got carried away after that.

However things are sounding really good now, and that's still with a 'toy' player,.. so I'm sure once the good player comes in, I just have to swap out the turn tables. I have a good Sony amp, subwoofer, and speakers now... so I just swap in the new player,.. do the fine tuning to get the arm weight set and make sure the table is turning at the right speed... and I think it's going to sound great.

Now to decide which album shall be it's virgin ride!

Have you put the Greta through an external cab? I played one through a 4x12 and it was magical.
oh yeah, through my 2x12, and it sounds amazing.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I went with this...

it's a HUGE step up from the turntable I have now. .. which honestly was a cheap 'toy' I bought just to listen to the Van Halen album I bought.

But then I realized I couldn't really hear the bass,.. then I start researching about amplifiers and RIAA curves and...

...yeah I got carried away after that.

However things are sounding really good now, and that's still with a 'toy' player,.. so I'm sure once the good player comes in, I just have to swap out the turn tables. I have a good Sony amp, subwoofer, and speakers now... so I just swap in the new player,.. do the fine tuning to get the arm weight set and make sure the table is turning at the right speed... and I think it's going to sound great.

Now to decide which album shall be it's virgin ride!

oh yeah, through my 2x12, and it sounds amazing.
AT is an industry standard. The AT's we used to listen to in our basements in the '80s sell for big bucks, today.

Good music is like good wine...if you like it, it's good.

Latest Threads