Your top three tips for beginner guitarists

Dick Banks

Reaction score
Rules:
  • 3 tips only. I appreciate you will have many more.
  • Beginner guitarist = someone who has up to one or two years of guitaring under their belt. This is arbitrary, I admit it. Arguing over this detail is missing the point. Please don't or I will fling poo at you.
  • no wrong answers, just be honest and try not to fight. I mean it's not like we're a hate sub or anything (lol).
For the record, while I am shite at guitar I am not looking for these tips for myself. For some reason I find this topic interesting. Helping newbies is probably my favourite activity on this sub.
My tips:
Learn the major and minor scales as soon as possible.
Practice with a metronome. Slow and perfect.
Practice as regularly as possible. 30 minutes a day is better than 3 hour weekend binge.
1. Get
2. A
3. Gig

Nothing like "man I gotta get this down before I have to play it in front of other people" to get your chops up, QUICK.

And when the lights come on, and you hit that first note, MAGIC!

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
practice and know the open chords, and then the standard bar/power chords

learn where things are on the neck major/minor/penatonic scalewise, and know that it's the same past the 12th fret

if learning on electric exclusively, then USE the amp. doesn't have to be on very loud, because the amp will let you know very fast if you hit the wrong string or aren't pressing down all notes well. An un-amped electric won't tell you the 'dink' note very well.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Get your guitar set-up. Seriously, when I was teaching, most newbies had guitars that were on the lower end of the scale, nothing wrong with that, but the set-ups can literally spell the difference between wanting to play and someone just giving up because it's too hard. And that usually is because the nut is cut too high. As proficient guitar players we know how difficult that can make it....but just think about a beginner, trying to fret notes and chords with a high nut....it's totally frustrating for them.

KTM

Reaction score
Quit while you're ahead and save yourself tons of cash and time wasted.

LP121

Reaction score
Learn to tune your guitar

Don't practice till you get it right, practice till you can't get it wrong

Jam with others

Nickhalen

Reaction score
1. Learn all pentatonic caged shapes

2. Learn a picking strategy that doesn’t limit string changes.

3. Jam along with blues standards to develop ear.

rogue3

Reaction score
Just one.get instant gratification. copy a lick or a short lead line from a favorite tune.keep it simple. Play it to death till you are ready to move on.then learn a new one.Work this into your practice as part of the routine.
The gratification you get from copying and sounding close to a simple lead line(or...maybe...bang on!)will motivate you to also play what are essentially boring exercises to improve your technique.

...and of course what everyone else said.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a guitar that looks cool and plays well, you’ll play it more often
Take a half dozen lessons or so so you can learn the fundmentals
Never be ashamed of how bad you suck while learning, all the greats sucked at one time too, they just practiced like maniacs to find themselves musically.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
One suggestion in addition to the ones above, Learn to set up your guitar. This includes trust rod adjustment, bridge adjustment, and getting the strings the right height at the nut. About 90% of guitars I have bought or played had the strings too high at the nut.

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
THEORY
THEORY
THEORY

God I wish somebody had drilled that into my skull way back when. Knowing theory makes literally EVERYTHING about playing easier and better. Once that gets ingrained, the rest is simple. Your fingers just know where to go. Wanna change the mood of a piece? There's a mode for that. Learn the modes of the major scale and you will be MILES ahead of everybody else

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
  1. Grow your hair long, and don't shave for days at a time.
  2. Wear sunglasses, even at night, and never, ever look anyone in the eyes.
  3. Say "cool", "baby", and "man" a lot.

dave b

Reaction score
Just ask someone for directions to Carnegie Hall. They will tell you everything you need to know.

.......and have fun along the way.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rules:
  • 3 tips only. I appreciate you will have many more.
  • Beginner guitarist = someone who has up to one or two years of guitaring under their belt. This is arbitrary, I admit it. Arguing over this detail is missing the point. Please don't or I will fling poo at you.
  • no wrong answers, just be honest and try not to fight. I mean it's not like we're a hate sub or anything (lol).
For the record, while I am shite at guitar I am not looking for these tips for myself. For some reason I find this topic interesting. Helping newbies is probably my favourite activity on this sub.
My tips:
Learn the major and minor scales as soon as possible.
Practice with a metronome. Slow and perfect.
Practice as regularly as possible. 30 minutes a day is better than 3 hour weekend binge.
I like your posting style. You will fit right in here, buddy!

Welcome to the forum.

Stay away from politics. Read the sticky at the top of the backstage.

Enjoy this place.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1. If it's not fun, sell all your gear and do something else.
2. You will never become famous and rich. Learn to deal with it.
3. See #1.

Latest Threads