Your thoughts on these amps

Weaver

Reaction score
Hey, I just went to a music shop played through a Mesa Boogie Electradyne, Lonestar, and Dual Rectifier

Also a Marshall JCM200, Orange Rocker 30, and a Badcat.

Would like to hear what you guys think of these amps.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
they all kick epic ass and make me drool. :slash:

Benjammin

Reaction score
I don't think you could go wrong with any of them :thumb: what style(s) are you into?

muddywinter

Reaction score
I had a Mesa tremoverb for a short while and I loved it but It was to much for what I needed so I got rid of it.I wish I had kept it I definetly made a mistake getting rid of that.Hopefully I can try out a lonestar in the future

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Badcat is probably the best quality out of all those you mentioned above, and a more "vintage" voiced amp line than any of the others you mentioned. If you are a "rocker", from regular/classic up to hard-rock and beyond, the Rocker 30 is pretty unreal. GREAT amp. I imagine the Mesa is a great blues to hard rock amp, and of course bullet-proof quality being a Mesa too. I'd love to try one. Are any of these amps potentially on a shopping list of yours? If so, you gotta try out a Vintage Modern from Marshall too. I have no idea why these don't get universal love from all the Marshall lovers here. Jeez, the combo I play sounded so sweet at low up to high volume, I would buy one in a heart-beat if I had the dough!

Weaver

Reaction score
Badcat is probably the best quality out of all those you mentioned above, and a more "vintage" voiced amp line than any of the others you mentioned. If you are a "rocker", from regular/classic up to hard-rock and beyond, the Rocker 30 is pretty unreal. GREAT amp. I imagine the Mesa is a great blues to hard rock amp, and of course bullet-proof quality being a Mesa too. I'd love to try one. Are any of these amps potentially on a shopping list of yours? If so, you gotta try out a Vintage Modern from Marshall too. I have no idea why these don't get universal love from all the Marshall lovers here. Jeez, the combo I play sounded so sweet at low up to high volume, I would buy one in a heart-beat if I had the dough!

Well the Badcat has a nice tone but is just not up there with the mesa boogies, orange is nice but it's not quite up there either, I played through a Marshall and it's great but it also did not give me the clarity the mesa boogies did. Man the electra dyne, the dual rectifier, and the lonestar are quite the insane little bastards....you've gotta try them I just wanted to know if anyone had any problems with these amps...also fender twin reverb( a vintage one) is an insane amplifier. Also, the electra dyne is insanely versatile, and man the dual rectifier roadster is a beast.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh I know, they are great amps for sure. I just recorded a new tune at a studio using their Mesa Triple Rectifier head and 4x12 straight in and it was beastly for sure. Loved it for its tightness. Tell you what though, its an acquired taste definitely. I'm embarrassed to say, but where it not for some microphonic tubes in my lowly Soldano designed 20 watt Jet City combo, I might have used that boosted over the Mesa! I'm serious, the Jet City had a bit more presence in the mids and sings a bit more. But, can't complain, that Triple Rec was tight!
If you're a mega metal guy, than yeah the Mesa is gonna put it out. Hard rock though, Damn do I love the Rocker 30. I'm such an amp freak lol!

BigB

Reaction score
I recently went down to a local guitar shop and messed around with a Badcat and that amp was beyond awesome. That would be my choice.

>Photi G<

Reaction score
It's funny, because the Electra Dyne is actually a Marshall clone, and it sounds BETTER than a Marshall! :laugh2: I'm also [fixed:thumb:] biased towards this amp, cause i have some major GAS for it right now. I've heard some small issues with them, however. Unlike most modern Mesa's, it doesn't have a Solo Output control for a volume boost, so you'll have to rely on a boost pedal if you're playing out. Second, it's HEAVY (well at least the combo is-75lbs). Third, it's LOUD. Fourth, Mesa has changed the Simul-class power circuit to 45/90, rather than the old-school 15/75 that was found on older Boogies, and to some extent, the MKV. And Fifth, it runs HOT. But if none of those bother you, then go for it! Amazing amp, and these shortcomings are nothing at all compare to problems that lesser-quality amps will give you.

Weaver

Reaction score
It's funny, because the Electra Dyne is actually a Marshall clone, and it sounds BETTER than a Marshall! :laugh2: I'm also [fixed:thumb:] biased towards this amp, cause i have some major GAS for it right now. I've heard some small issues with them, however. Unlike most modern Mesa's, it doesn't have a Solo Output control for a volume boost, so you'll have to rely on a boost pedal if you're playing out. Second, it's HEAVY (well at least the combo is-75lbs). Third, it's LOUD. Fourth, Mesa has changed the Simul-class power circuit to 45/90, rather than the old-school 15/75 that was found on older Boogies, and to some extent, the MKV. And Fifth, it runs HOT. But if none of those bother you, then go for it! Amazing amp, and these shortcomings are nothing at all compare to problems that lesser-quality amps will give you.

Nah none of those bother me at all it's an EXTREMELY versatile amp and the mkv is a great studio amp but if you want to practice with it then gig...forget it man.

Weaver

Reaction score
Oh I know, they are great amps for sure. I just recorded a new tune at a studio using their Mesa Triple Rectifier head and 4x12 straight in and it was beastly for sure. Loved it for its tightness. Tell you what though, its an acquired taste definitely. I'm embarrassed to say, but where it not for some microphonic tubes in my lowly Soldano designed 20 watt Jet City combo, I might have used that boosted over the Mesa! I'm serious, the Jet City had a bit more presence in the mids and sings a bit more. But, can't complain, that Triple Rec was tight!
If you're a mega metal guy, than yeah the Mesa is gonna put it out. Hard rock though, Damn do I love the Rocker 30. I'm such an amp freak lol!

Eh I'm not feeling the hauling around a cab and a head kind of thing right now, go jam and I have to haul that around....I'd rather get a smexy combo at this time.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I used to play with a guy that had a small hand truck and his rig was set up and strapped to the hand truck. He would just wheel the thing in, put it where it needed to be, and plug it in. You do have to get it in the van or truck but that wasn't very hard. Especially with another set of hands.

noisemaker

Reaction score
orange rocker + zvex box of rock = such a wide range of gain you'll shit your pants

Latest Threads