Your thoughts on my set up "problem?"

matchman

Reaction score
Looks like this will be taken care of under warranty...or replaced.
Its at the local authorized Gibson repair center.
Let you know how it works out.
adam

matchman

Reaction score
Well more than a basic set up was needed. (as everyone thought)
The Factory authorized repair center had to re leveled the frets. This was done on Friday he re-checked it after it sat over the weekend and he needed to go over it again. He claims the action is at or slightly lower than Factory spec. I get it Friday, and let everyone know how this (Gibson WARRANTY NO CHARGE) service was performed.
adam

matchman

Reaction score
well John @ String King (warr shop) could not get rid of the buzz with leveling the frets.(3x) I asked about doing a re-fret and level the finger board. He's opting to send it back to Gibson. (bet they don't pay shit for warranty work).
He is of the opinion they will not put the labor time into it to fix it and they will
replace it. He said Gibson is pretty generous with a nice up-grade.
This should he interesting as this is a un-common guitar. Not in production. Only the Custom shop Historical Limited all mahogney R-7 in worn cherry is close.

matchman

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in my ordeal.....
The LP was sent back to Gibson and all they did is Level (the entire fret board)
and do a set up. (quick turnaround time)
The strings were de-tuned (for shipping I suppose) . I tuned it and had fret buzz now frets 1-5 on nearly all strings. Sick to my stomach that I need to call Gibson and Bitch.
I though I would try one more time to adjust the truss rod. Back it off to .005 Got better...Backed off to .010 set the action to factory spec. --Its ok!!!!!!--
Guess what this leads me to believe about the local authorized repair center.
Anyways on a side note I looked in the volume/tone pot cavity expecting to see a PCB board ....happy to find conventional wiring ect.
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP!!!!
Adam

asher67

Reaction score
this may help......Good Guitar Tech Cleveland/Akron Ohio [Archive] - The Gear Pagethis post was over a year ago, but these people may still be around. i would contact them and see about a pro setup.good luck

The guys at Lay's have always been great. They worked on my Strat years ago, because Fender had me send it there for warranty work.

I presume that you are tuning to standard pitch. If you detune, then you might be going too light by using a .10 set, and a medium gauge string would help. Additionally, playing style can affect whether you'll have string buzz. A heavier picking style will move the strings more and can cause them to hit the frets, where lighter picking on the same set up will result in no buzzing.

Sounds as though you've tried everything else, though, so it couldn't hurt to have a pro look at it. There are enough threads here about less-than-adequate set-ups at the Gibson factory, and yours could have been one of them.

ehamady6

Reaction score
Check the height of the frets with a straight-edge. They may have worked themselves up a bit as the neck expands and contacts via temperature changes and could need to be levelled.

matchman

Reaction score
Maby I wrote my last post squrilly... but the "Gibson Factory Repair Center" fixed it under warranty im good now.
The" Local" Authorized Gibson repair center could not do a correct fret leveling.

Latest Threads