Your thoughts on 2x10 cab to loaded with Weber's

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
Currently have a 2x10 cab with a Weber Classic(now called vintage) Alnico 10A150-25w in it rated at 8 ohms. Absolutely love the tone I get from this with my Phaez HRM/Hotcat 25w. When I picked up this cab I only had 1 10" speaker. Now I'm thinking I should go for 2 Weber Classic Alnico 10A150-25w @ 16 ohms each(for 8 ohm load). Expensive though. Do you think Weber would take my Weber Classic Alnico 10A150-25w for a trade to reduce some of the cost? How do you think 2x10 10A125-O 30w's would fair with this amp? Only difference is "later/smooth breakup" on the 10A150's. Any other suggestions you guys might have please feel free to mention. Maybe I should just leave it alone if I'm digging the tone. I also pair this up with a 1x12(with Weber Classic Alnico 12A125-30w) when needed...:cool:

Really looking forward to your thoughts/experience on this:)

Buggaluggs

Reaction score
You could get a recone for $25 and change the ohm rating (and output watts too if needed). Why not just get another 8Ω speaker and run them in series for 16Ω total?

hipofutura

Reaction score
GP, I like your 10A150 idea. I have a pair of 12A150 alnicos in a closed back cab for my HRM Dumble clone. These are my favorite speaker for this type of amp. Everyone one who has heard it, has been VERY impressed with the tone, compression, and impact of the speakers.

A pair of 10A150 speakers would be great with your HRM/Hotcat. However, if it were mine, I'd go with a 2x12 setup. Your amp has the power to nicely drive such a cab.

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
You could get a recone for $25 and change the ohm rating (and output watts too if needed). Why not just get another 8Ω speaker and run them in series for 16Ω total?

Actaully Buggaluggs, I sometimes pair up this cab with a 1x12 8 ohm cab so I need this 2x10 cab rated at 8 ohms.

GP, I like your 10A150 idea. I have a pair of 12A150 alnicos in a closed back cab for my HRM Dumble clone. These are my favorite speaker for this type of amp. Everyone one who has heard it, has been VERY impressed with the tone, compression, and impact of the speakers.

A pair of 10A150 speakers would be great with your HRM/Hotcat. However, if it were mine, I'd go with a 2x12 setup. Your amp has the power to nicely drive such a cab.
You think the 50w or the 25w. Your right though, with this amp these have been the best tone I've heard. Paired up with the 1x12 it should push alot of air! I really like these cabs I've got, so I might have to stick with the 2x10. Then may get a 2x12 built in the future and ditch the other 2 cabs....

hipofutura

Reaction score
You think the 50w or the 25w. Your right though, with this amp these have been the best tone I've heard. Paired up with the 1x12 it should push alot of air! I really like these cabs I've got, so I might have to stick with the 2x10. Then may get a 2x12 built in the future and ditch the other 2 cabs....

Mine are 50W as the HRM Bluesmaster is a 50W amp. I'd go with the 25W version for your amp. You won't get that sweet alnico compression with the 50 watt speakers.

There are a couple pics of my cab in this album. Acoustic insulation really makes a difference!

My Les Paul Forums - hipofutura's Album: Amps

Buggaluggs

Reaction score
Weber will recone your 8ohm 10A150 as a 50W or 25W 16ohm for the regular $25. I'd say that's your best bet then.

I have a 10A125 that I'm not using enough. Great sound. However, my 12A125 is probably my vavorite sounding speaker

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
Mine are 50W as the HRM Bluesmaster is a 50W amp. I'd go with the 25W version for your amp. You won't get that sweet alnico compression with the 50 watt speakers.

There are a couple pics of my cab in this album. Acoustic insulation really makes a difference!

My Les Paul Forums - hipofutura's Album: Amps
There's something I havn't done yet...with both cabs, acoustic insulation. What's the type your using on your 2x12? Easy to find?
Agreed on the 25w...need that "sweet alnico compression":)

Weber will recone your 8ohm 10A150 as a 50W or 25W 16ohm for the regular $25. I'd say that's your best bet then.

I have a 10A125 that I'm not using enough. Great sound. However, my 12A125 is probably my vavorite sounding speaker
Ah, that's what you meant...sorry. Yes, a great idea then. Will do.
I also have the 12A125 30w in my 1x12 and yes, that's my sound.:thumb:
They seem to balance out well together when I'm using both the 1x12 and 2x10(er...1 10").

So I think I'll fire off an e-mail to weber and see what they say. Thanks guys for your responses! Always appreciated:)

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I put the insulation that Don has in his cab in mine. I only did 3 sides...the back, top, and one side. I did that because of a couple of recommendations I read on some other forums about insulating cabs. There are a lot of different views out there about it being done in a guitar cab. Celestion has on their website to "not do it" because it causes the cab to "lose sparkle"

That said, I didn't "lose sparkle", but that is why I only did 3 sides, to leave some hard surface in the cab. What I did notice was, less "rumble", and a clearer bottom, a thicker, more dynamic lower mid range, and just an overall more even tone across the spectrum...if that makes sense. I got the 1/2" stuff, they do make a 3/4" as well.

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
That thicker lower mid is what I'm looking for when recording on a recent project and I noticed it's a bit weak with my setup.I know what you mean...
I'm always ready to experiment so I'm going to try out both ways. The variables are endless though when recording so we'll see how that works out.

So what is this particular insulation/foam you guys are using? Would rigid fibreglass work? I got sheets of the 1/2" left over.

hipofutura

Reaction score
So what is this particular insulation/foam you guys are using? Would rigid fibreglass work? I got sheets of the 1/2" left over.

Did you really mean "fiberglass", or perhaps Styrofoam? It can't be rigid, as it's purpose is to absorb acoustic energy and convert it to heat. Fiberglass won't do that.

Use the stuff in the link RH posted. The louder you play, the more benefit it produces. At low volumes you won't notice a difference.

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
Did you really mean "fiberglass", or perhaps Styrofoam? It can't be rigid, as it's purpose is to absorb acoustic energy and convert it to heat. Fiberglass won't do that.

Use the stuff in the link RH posted. The louder you play, the more benefit it produces. At low volumes you won't notice a difference.

I can see how the foam would be ideal in a cab given it's density/thickness. Will definitely order some up. But the stuff I was talking about is basically this...I have the left over the FSK sided stuff in 1/2".

Thanks for the link and help!

hipofutura

Reaction score
I can see how the foam would be ideal in a cab given it's density/thickness. Will definitely order some up. But the stuff I was talking about is basically this...I have the left over the FSK sided stuff in 1/2".

Thanks for the link and help!

That will work. It's quite similar to what Fender used back in the day. The two disadvantages are: 1) It's much thicker than the acoustic foam. 2) It sheds over time and can get into the VC gap. However, I'd use it if I were you. If you're unhappy with it, just pull it out. Be sure to have the glass side facing the speaker. Not sure what the acoustic implications are of the foil backing.

GP_Hawk

Reaction score
That will work. It's quite similar to what Fender used back in the day. The two disadvantages are: 1) It's much thicker than the acoustic foam. 2) It sheds over time and can get into the VC gap. However, I'd use it if I were you. If you're unhappy with it, just pull it out. Be sure to have the glass side facing the speaker. Not sure what the acoustic implications are of the foil backing.

Well, after thinking about it might try it out but have already ordered up the acoustic foam. Shedding into the voice coil of my beloved alnico's doesn't appeal to me:D
The FRK is technically used face out. Low freq's pass through it but high freq will not. Thus it's effectiveness(so to speak) on low end bass trapping. Used mainly in corners, or out of way(from the sound source). Anywhere you need HF absorption you would not want to use the FSK sided stuff...as I understand it.

hipofutura

Reaction score
It's the low-mid freqs that cause the problem. Their reflections have a VERY noticeable affect on the back of the cone.

When you add acoustic foam to a cab it's like the sinus med commercial on TV where all of a sudden they peal away a fogging layer on the screen and the picture is instantly clearer and the colors brighter. You don't realize the problem until you see/hear the difference.

hipofutura

Reaction score
This only applies to closed back cabs, right?

Not necessarily. Undersized open back cabs will have the same problem. Blues Junior being a good example. It's just too small a cab for a 12" speaker. There will be acoustic reflections from the sides of the cab at high volumes.

Buggaluggs

Reaction score
Should we make a new thread called "Acoustic treatments of cabs" and paste in the last dozen or so comments?
This is interesting stuff. It might warrant a wider audience.

Buggaluggs

Reaction score
Is there a danger that adding an inch of solid on the inside of the cab will affect the sound because the cab is now a different internal volume? Or am I not getting this real well.

hipofutura

Reaction score
Is there a danger that adding an inch of solid on the inside of the cab will affect the sound because the cab is now a different internal volume? Or am I not getting this real well.

You're not really adding "solid". It's some sort of open cell material. There's far more volume than mass. You would not factor it into the internal dims of the cab.

Latest Threads