Your Thanksgiving Cluster Fk.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
We had a nice Thanksgiving here in Seattle with my wife's parents and uncle. My 7 year old daughter absolutely adores her Nana, and didn't see her at all for a year and a half because of Covid, so she was delighted and the whole thing was lovely.

My original plan was visit my family in Connecticut, where I grew up, for the holiday. I haven't been for the last year and a half because of Covid. However, when it turned out the cost was roughly $2300 for plane tickets/rental car/taxes and fees etc, I decided it was too expensive and bailed. Pre-Covid it would be roughly $1000 to go there for a week. My brother typically blows it out for holidays and has a big feast with lots of people. The plan was to do only family this year, but it was still fifteen people or so.

The day before Thanksgiving my brother and his 22 year old son (both two-shot vaxxed) each tested positive for Covid. My brother (59 years old and pretty overweight) is currently pretty sick with a 103.5 fever. His son seems to have the sniffles and "kind of a sinus thing." Of course, Thanksgiving was cancelled.

My brother will probably be fine: one hears that if you're vaxxed and you do get sick, hardly anyone actually dies of it. The terrifying thing is that my 91 year old Dad intended to go to that gathering. He has received the booster shot, but still.

I'm sort of vibrating with this weird anxiety. I mean, I think that's what this is: anxiety that my Dad dodged a bullet, and that I dodged a bullet too, I guess. Maybe anxiety is the wrong word. It's a strange feeling, anyway.

In Seattle it feels like this Covid thing is over, or ending anyway - there's apparently a 90% vax rate here. But this situation suggests to me that it is not over at all, and that is a great big bummer.
Order the Reuben.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
We had a nice Thanksgiving here in Seattle with my wife's parents and uncle. My 7 year old daughter absolutely adores her Nana, and didn't see her at all for a year and a half because of Covid, so she was delighted and the whole thing was lovely.

My original plan was visit my family in Connecticut, where I grew up, for the holiday. I haven't been for the last year and a half because of Covid. However, when it turned out the cost was roughly $2300 for plane tickets/rental car/taxes and fees etc, I decided it was too expensive and bailed. Pre-Covid it would be roughly $1000 to go there for a week. My brother typically blows it out for holidays and has a big feast with lots of people. The plan was to do only family this year, but it was still fifteen people or so.

The day before Thanksgiving my brother and his 22 year old son (both two-shot vaxxed) each tested positive for Covid. My brother (59 years old and pretty overweight) is currently pretty sick with a 103.5 fever. His son seems to have the sniffles and "kind of a sinus thing." Of course, Thanksgiving was cancelled.

My brother will probably be fine: one hears that if you're vaxxed and you do get sick, hardly anyone actually dies of it. The terrifying thing is that my 91 year old Dad intended to go to that gathering. He has received the booster shot, but still.

I'm sort of vibrating with this weird anxiety. I mean, I think that's what this is: anxiety that my Dad dodged a bullet, and that I dodged a bullet too, I guess. Maybe anxiety is the wrong word. It's a strange feeling, anyway.

In Seattle it feels like this Covid thing is over, or ending anyway - there's apparently a 90% vax rate here. But this situation suggests to me that it is not over at all, and that is a great big bummer.
i understand your being anxious.actually had it august of 2020 but didnt know it until i gave blood last november and found out i had antibodies.have had two shots of pfizer,so has the wife but i have the feeling that crap is just gonna keep mutating...like a bad horror flick or a nightmare where you cant wake up.

meatball

Reaction score

Did you pick up any items on that shopping Spree at Nordstroms ???????

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My father had emergency heart surgery that didn’t go well last week and is in inpatient rehab right now. I’m in Alabama, he’s in Rhode Island. My father was there for me when I had my heart surgery, so I owe him. I was finally able to get on a plane Wednesday thus leaving my wife and kids to have Thanksgiving on there own. That part sucked. Saw my Dad yesterday morning and he looked frail like I’ve never seen before. Then I went to the hotel and took a nap. Woke up feeling horrible, headache and sore throat. Wasn’t able to go to the scaled down dinner that was happening with my sister and have spent most of today asleep in my hotel room sick. This stinks.

Man that stinks!
Get better soon.
When you get home I suggest an infusion of Plexi!

IC XC
NI KA

TXOldRedRocker

F IT ALL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one sibling. A sister. She's a loser and I can't stand her common law husband. She doesn't get invited, to anything. I host holidays, birthdays, etc. I have no clue what she does on any of those days. We rarely communicate. Problems solved. (Mostly)
Oh, and she lives about 8 miles from me.

Last edited:

irocdave12

Reaction score
Thanksgiving always represents the same thing to me every year and thats getting pissed off. We have one family member that thinks roasted brussel sprouts with crispy bacon is the quintessential side dish for thanksgiving. He is regarded a VIP in the family so naturally its a must have. So we don’t live with the sweet smell of turkey and gravy at thanksgiving The sprouts overpower all the other foods by the factor of 10 and we all spend the night sitting in a house that smells like it shit itself. The topper was this morning. We live in a townhouse separated by cement firewalls and when you get a real pungent smell going occasionally it will creep over into the neighbors house. Came out front this morning saw our neighbor who asked if I was feeling ok because it smelled like we all shit ourselves over in her house too.

rogue3

Reaction score
I took Wednesday off from work so wifey and I could leave Wed a.m. from northern Mich to drive down state to Detroit area (4 hr drive) to spend TG with family.

Just as we're driving into Auburn Hills (.5 hr. from destination) mom calls me and says my sister and BIL have covid, TG is cancelled.

Turns out dumbass BIL who is vaccinated thought his one injection was akin to the Starship Enterprise deflector shields that would forever protect him from the bug. When he started feeling poorly a week ago he thought it was a cold and didn't get tested. Well, he contracted it and passed on to my sister.

Wifey and I spent the night in motel and drove back next day. Thanksgiving dinner turned out to be a bowl of chicken soup and a reuben at the Country Inn Restaurant.

Am I the only one, or did any of you have a bad acid trip on TG?
...but still alive Uncle Vinnie.good health. :cheers:

(just had my third...a booster.all good here).

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Mine sucked.

My GF and I were sick with a cold so we didn't want to join the big family gathering across town. We ended up having to cook a few items and bring them over for a drop off anyway, so they made us up some to-go plates.

Aside from that we are also in the middle of moving into our old house so we stopped by the old one to grab a few items left over there. On the way home she gets the bright idea to stop at the bar for a few.

Long story short, she gets too drunk, I have to leave my truck there and cart her ass back so she can pass out....at 6pm mind you, and then I unload everything.

Ended up being too pissed off to take a bite of anything. On top of that, the bartender called me and asked if we were coming back to have some of the catered Thanksgiving dinner that just arrived there lol.

Two dinners hand carried to us and not a bite.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was pretty somber but wonderful. We drove up here to Cleveland to spend it with my wife’s family because her mom went into a nursing home and wasn’t feeling very happy about it, we invited the whole family to come over to her place and about 18 of us celebrated a great day and there was enough food the feed all the homeless in Cleveland.

My dad hasn’t been feeling well due to some liver issues and last evening he passed away. We didn’t have the all american father son relationship due to some bad decisions both of us made in our lives but it still stings a bit.

Thanksgiving was wonderful, Black Friday not so much

Tone deaf

Reaction score
It was at my parents' and 4 of us siblings showed up with 10 grandkids in tow. It could have been a sh*t show. There was the normal friction caused by one difficult sibling (not me). We managed to have a great time Wed and Thurs. The dishwasher broke on Wednesday night. I had to patch it together while half in the bag.

mdubya

Reaction score
Mine sucked.

My GF and I were sick with a cold so we didn't want to join the big family gathering across town. We ended up having to cook a few items and bring them over for a drop off anyway, so they made us up some to-go plates.

Aside from that we are also in the middle of moving into our old house so we stopped by the old one to grab a few items left over there. On the way home she gets the bright idea to stop at the bar for a few.

Long story short, she gets too drunk, I have to leave my truck there and cart her ass back so she can pass out....at 6pm mind you, and then I unload everything.

Ended up being too pissed off to take a bite of anything. On top of that, the bartender called me and asked if we were coming back to have some of the catered Thanksgiving dinner that just arrived there lol.

Two dinners hand carried to us and not a bite.

JMHO - it might be time to rethink the gf.

mdubya

Reaction score
Mine was pretty somber but wonderful. We drove up here to Cleveland to spend it with my wife’s family because her mom went into a nursing home and wasn’t feeling very happy about it, we invited the whole family to come over to her place and about 18 of us celebrated a great day and there was enough food the feed all the homeless in Cleveland.

My dad hasn’t been feeling well due to some liver issues and last evening he passed away. We didn’t have the all american father son relationship due to some bad decisions both of us made in our lives but it still stings a bit.

My condolences JTM.

Tone deaf

Reaction score

Wow. Sorry to hear that.

Roberteaux

This Space For Rent
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

My sincere condolences to you and your family, JTM.

You hang tough now, hear? You gotta do that for the rest of your family, and your dad would be proud to see you standing up to it-- hard as it is, I know.

--R

Roberteaux

This Space For Rent
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My own Thanksgiving was... hectic.

I had to make guest appearances at three dinners, eat a large enough sample at each that others were satisfied that I was satisfied and were not offended... and I came home with a tryptophan hangover.

Crashed (but did not burn) on my easy chair while posting to MLP!

--R :p

Latest Threads