your opinion on a les paul studio

lpplayer

Reaction score
My LP Standard is certainly the "Holy Grail" of my collection. However, I absolutely LOVE my Vintage Mahogany Worn Cherry Studio. Both of them sound, play, and look great. But when I grab my Studio, I get the feeling that I really want to rip into this guitar. Maybe its the worn finish. Maybe its the difference in the price tag. And, of course its all mental and doesnt really matter. But playing the Studio is a slightly different experience for me over the Standard.

CARNAGE222

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a studio. They are great guitars. It cracks me up how people can put them down. I was reading the thread about the 2009 traditional that has a crack in the finish. At least two or three other traditional owners chimed about the same problem. I own a 2007 studio and have had NO problems at all. Not bad for a lowly:dude: studio.

Bill518

Reaction score
Studios Suck!!!!!! :fingersx:
Get a real LP!!!

No just kidding :laugh2:
I liked to get a White Studio one someday.

There are a ton of Studios on Craiglist and other placed used for
good prices.

B.

gtr-tek

Fumble Fingers
Reaction score
If you ask the same question in the Other Les Pauls section you might get the opposite response. Edwards makes a very nice Lester like. You would be getting the cosmetics of a Standard with the Studio price tag. Your call. Both are good and will hold their value, though the Gibson will have a broader appeal if you wish/need to sell it. :cool:

Ed Man

Reaction score
My Studio is my first and only Les Paul. Matter of fact, it's the reason I'm even on this site. I have some other nice guitars, but the studio opened my eyes to life with a Les Paul. It's the first guitar I grab now and has me seriously thinking of adding another LP to my collection. I would not hesitate to recommend a studio to anyone looking to add a LP to their collection, budget or not.

azzapeel

Reaction score
I have a studio 60`s mahogany. i prefer the 60`s neck. this guitar is ace, i`m never getting rid of it. my next guitar will also be a studio.(with a 60`s neck).:thumb:

Bill518

Reaction score
Mann,
If Studios were so good, why the heck did I pay so much for my Trad Pro!!! $%^#%

:laugh2:

B.

shiplett77

Reaction score
Studios are excellent guitars for the money, even after the changes they have made over the years. Jr.'s are pretty nice as well. All in all, for under $1K you can get a pretty solid guitar.

rockin'rolldad

Reaction score
I used to own a SB studio, great guitar, sounded awesome, played really well, light weight so it didn't break my back. I find most studio "haters" don't necessarily hate the guitar but rather hate the idea of an economy Gibson. With the release of the VM's and 50's/60's tributes ect studio's are no longer the "budget" Gibson so you're going to find much less hate on them now.

Deej

Reaction score
I like Studios (have 5 and 1 Custom). They play very well, sound great, and if you play them often, the cost doesn't hurt as much when you ding or scratch them. ;)

As much as I love Customs, I can't see paying that much for a guitar - I'd be too afraid to play out with it.

Depending upon your budget, you can go for a high end studio or save an extra $300-500 or so to get a Standard or Traditional. I always seem to opt for the high end studios in that scenario. The lower end studios are nice too, and in some cases only set you back $850.

But it all depends on your budget and how much you play. If you are looking for a collector's piece, go higher end. If you are looking for a player, grab a Studio.

dcooper830

Reaction score
I might as well pile on and say that I have a beat up old 1991 Gibson Les Paul Studio and it is nothing short of awesome.

It's extremely comfortable to play, and it has huge phat tone with plenty of bite.

Gratuitous photo:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
dc,

That is one nice looking Studio. Hang onto that one!

Classicplayer

germ_x

Banned
Reaction score
Nothing at all wrong with Studios. Who really needs binding (and especially for an additional $1000)???

Raidersfan

Reaction score
I might as well pile on and say that I have a beat up old 1991 Gibson Les Paul Studio and it is nothing short of awesome.

It's extremely comfortable to play, and it has huge phat tone with plenty of bite.

Gratuitous photo:

I had one just like it, except mine had the gold hardware, but traded it in for a Les Paul Standard. I wish I could go back and redo that again. Should've kept the Studio. Just as good, if not a better playing instrument than the Standard.

Blue Moose

Reaction score
I haven't owned as many LPs as lots of the guys on here, but enough to know that the Studios don't give up anything to a Standard or Classic other than cosmetics. And I'd argue that some (like my personal favorite Alpine White) can hang in there on aesthetics too.

The best sounding LP I ever owned was a Vintage Mahogany, just couldn't get used to the 50s neck. The like the 60s neck Studio I have now better than the Deluxe I used to own, and the Classic I've been playing for a couple of months.

I eventually WILL own a black Standard or Trad Pro with binding, but until then I will not feel slighted in the least with my Studio. Get it!

D_Strasse

Reaction score
I think Studios are great as well.

MY only issue is indeed the unbound neck and being the spaz player that I am, constantly zinging up and down the neck, the unbound frets started to bug me. My playing, my two cents.

Still, I am eyeing a 50s tribute as I am GASing really hard for a guitar with p90s, lol.

nauc

Reaction score
you cant go wrong with a Studio, i love mine. i always put off buying one cause i thought they looked lame without binding. so i first bought a Gibson SG Standard and after a while i got rid of it and bought my Studio. i actually like that it doesnt have binding now. id like to get an Alpine White one with gold too

heres my one and only...

Latest Threads