Your headstock break - how'd it happen?

Howard2k

Reaction score
No straplocks. The strap had fallen off several times before but I had always caught the guitar on the way down. This time, not so much, I was on the phone and distracted. It then landed at a bad angle on my metal wah pedal with a sickening crunch.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Personally I think Gibsons are prone to neck breaks because of the angled head-stock. The break occurs in line with the wood-grain.

It's this:

LP_cross_section.jpg

Not much wood left around the truss rod route. It sounds great - just have to be careful not to bump it!

drpietrzak

Reaction score
I have not had it happen yet. I am pretty careful. In using them they get dings and such. At some point I will probably do something stupid as well. It goes without saying.

politenessman

Reaction score
God, some of the stories in here are shocking!

Mines either in my hands, lying next to me or in it's case. No stands for me. If I can't put it back in its case but I need to do something else (toilet etc) then I get a friend to hold it (quite literally, if they put it down, i get pissed) . I'm starting to think about taking it with me just incase :L

thats not a bad idea. hendrix practised 6 hours a day, most of it in the bathroom. he liked the acoustics.

elcajon64

Reaction score
I had UPS bust one for me. And not just any old Les Paul, but a real 1974 Standard. I was able to collect the insurance and keep the guitar. I had it fixed for 20% of the amount it was insured for (and kept the rest), and sold it again for 60% of the original sales price.

cmcgov

Reaction score
I was playing my es 125 in the living room, plugged in. And some people in the house didn't want to hear me playing, so I threw it across the room and the headstock, neck joint, and back of the body were broken/completely detached. I'm not sure how it landed, it hit my baby grand piano on the other side of the couch. Either way I fixed the guitar and for 30 years no one in the house has told me to stop playing.

Lurko

Reaction score
I was playing my es 125 in the living room, plugged in. And some people in the house didn't want to hear me playing, so I threw it across the room and the headstock, neck joint, and back of the body were broken/completely detached. I'm not sure how it landed, it hit my baby grand piano on the other side of the couch. Either way I fixed the guitar and for 30 years no one in the house has told me to stop playing.

So they didn't want you to play and you broke your own guitar and piano? :confused:

I guess you showed them.:facepalm:

timgman

Reaction score
never broke a LP.. sg's ? ohhh they were cheap and I was drunk!!!!!

cmcgov

Reaction score
So they didn't want you to play and you broke your own guitar and piano? :confused:

I guess you showed them.:facepalm:
Yeah guitar broke but the piano is fine. This happened 45 years ago, I then simply repaired the guitar and still use it today.

etrigan69

Reaction score
I've had one for 6 months. Fell off the stand fell forward on to the carpet. Heard a sickening CRACK! Looking to get it repaired soon....

IMG_20111117_012238.jpg

Latearrival

Reaction score
"Fell off the stand fell forward on to the carpet."

Jesus! How fragile can these things be?

etrigan69

Reaction score
"Fell off the stand fell forward on to the carpet."

Jesus! How fragile can these things be?

I was stunned. I've launched Kramers, Strats, Ibanez across rooms! (Well not that bad but you know) While I've had some sickening dings in them I've never had a break like that. First Les Paul tip I would give is don't put the suckers on a stand. If you ain't playing it' case it. Hindsight is 20/20....

IMG_20111117_012251.jpg

On a sidenote, anyone know a good repair guy in The Los Angeles/Orange County area that doesn't charge rockstar prices for repairs? Funny, I'm quickly finding most repairmen here are pretty much setup guys. Maybe a fretjob but this kind of stuff, not so much. Plus it's just a studio. Cant really lay a ton of cash into a $700 guitar.

Reaction score
I'd contact MLP's BCR Greg for a quote first.

However, locally......I know 2 places that can pro repair your guitar.They're both in the San Fernando Valley.....worth the drive,though.

| Eric's Guitar Shop, Inc. | 8101 Orion Ave. #21 | Van Nuys, CA 91406 | 818.780.7191 |
8101 Orion Avenue # 21 Van Nuys, CA 91406-1438
(818) 780-7191

or

GuitarBassPro!, Bass Guitars Amplifiers Pro Audio and accessories
Amp Shop The-Bass Exchange
13701 Ventura Boulevard, Sherman Oaks, CA (818) 817-9566
ask for Tina Wood

Spaceacex

Reaction score
I had a close call when me and my bass player's headstocks clashed on stage. Got a little ding but thats it. whew

etrigan69

Reaction score
Thanks I'll keep them in mind but the Valley is a little far for me. I have concidered BCR because his work is amazing, but shipping would probably be close to $100 off the top. Like I said it's a 90's LP Studio. Just not cost effective to lay too much into it.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I was stunned. I've launched Kramers, Strats, Ibanez across rooms! (Well not that bad but you know) While I've had some sickening dings in them I've never had a break like that. First Les Paul tip I would give is don't put the suckers on a stand. If you ain't playing it' case it. Hindsight is 20/20....

IMG_20111117_012251.jpg

On a sidenote, anyone know a good repair guy in The Los Angeles/Orange County area that doesn't charge rockstar prices for repairs? Funny, I'm quickly finding most repairmen here are pretty much setup guys. Maybe a fretjob but this kind of stuff, not so much. Plus it's just a studio. Cant really lay a ton of cash into a $700 guitar.
Andy Brauer, but he is not cheap.
He is, the best.
Ask Slash! :)

straybeat

Reaction score
That will eventually happen to me. Somthing Stupid. :thumb:

That will probably happen to me too. I'll be playing, then I'll slip and fall, and instead of breaking my hip I'll break the headstock. :laugh2:

Latest Threads