Your headstock break - how'd it happen?

J.T.

Reaction score
So, I see lots of Gibsons with headstock breaks of one type or another. I also own a couple of guitars that are repaired. But I've never actually broken one (nor do I hope to!). I'm curious as to the common causes of them. So, for those of you who have had the displeasure, would you care to share your story? Thanks, in advance...

CaseyJr.

Reaction score
Cat jumped over the banister and destroyed my Epi's 'stock.

WahChickaWahWah

Reaction score
My old studio fell face first out of it's stand on stage while I was playing my Strat.

My standard got knocked over by a drunken bandmate.

politenessman

Reaction score
My old studio fell face first out of it's stand on stage while I was playing my Strat.

My standard got knocked over by a drunken bandmate.

thats all it would take, just 1 fall out of a stand? i know that its different construction but when i was a kid a i had an sg special that must have fallen 50 times. and didnt break. (i would brilliantly leave it leaning on things like a wall)

Dirk$Diggler

Reaction score
Got a Gibson LP Classic i the mail with a broken headstock once! :mad2:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I had an incomplete crack work into my old 73, caused by a lack of strap-locks, I think; it suffered one drop. I was lucky, the volute did its job and didn't realize it was cracked until a couple of weeks later when tuning instability made me wise.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
They're generally the result of doing something stupid.

I've had a few for a few decades, and they're all intact.

WTF are you guys doing?

Something stupid, I'll bet.
+1.

I've been playing for over 20 years, owned more than a few guitars, and have never put so much as a scratch on any of them. The sad part is, I don't even try to "baby" them.

Maybe I'm just lucky?:hmm:

Latearrival

Reaction score
I read somewhere (I think it was the Gibson manual) that you can break a headstock if the guitar is in it's case, stood on end, and falls over! - so don't stand your case up vertically!

It is a combination of shock and string tension that does the damage. Peronally I think Gibsons are prone to neck breaks because of the angled head-stock. The break occurs in line with the wood-grain.

Catthan

Reaction score
My first guitar at 12 yrs old, a LP copy, had loose or no threads in the top strap screw hole..

So on my HNGD it crashed the floor with the headstock while I was walking around the house acting rockstar-like.

It didn't crack the neck surprisingly but left a really nasty dent.
Or maybe it cracked as this guitar developed all sorts of tuning and set up issues.
It's been 15 years and I don't remember.

My SG special fell a few times but nothing tragic happened. And it has a really thin neck and scarf joint, much thinner than a 60s LP neck.

another incident with my strat on stage was when our percussionist who at the time had grown a fat ass tried to reach his place walking through a narrow spacing and his ass knocked the strat down off the stand. It fell freatboard facing the floor and left a stupid dent on the 4th fret. The stupidest mark I've ever seen!
My dog also peed on that strat (case) the day I brought it home from the US while I put it down to look for my keys. Maybe the poly smell..

Half of the content in this post is irrelevant but I thought I'd share 'cause it's funny and it showcases the stupidity factor.

All the best

mikey see

Reaction score
My 69 SG broke because the dumbass seller shipped it from Mexico to Virginia in nothing but the original flimsy case. He didn't even pad the inside.

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
My band flew to Los Angeles a few years back. I was playing bass at the time. My Fender landed intact. But my guy's LP Standard had a busted head. Horrifying, it was. We don't really know how it happened. Perhaps being chucked about by the luggage guys or from air pressure. I don't know if the air pressure thing is a myth or not but at any rate the headstock was ****ed.

He eventually got it repaired and all's well but for the scars.

Job-Job type Job

Reaction score
I read somewhere (I think it was the Gibson manual) that you can break a headstock if the guitar is in it's case, stood on end, and falls over! - so don't stand your case up vertically!

It is a combination of shock and string tension that does the damage. Peronally I think Gibsons are prone to neck breaks because of the angled head-stock. The break occurs in line with the wood-grain.

That sounds reasonable to me.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
God, some of the stories in here are shocking!

Mines either in my hands, lying next to me or in it's case. No stands for me. If I can't put it back in its case but I need to do something else (toilet etc) then I get a friend to hold it (quite literally, if they put it down, i get pissed) . I'm starting to think about taking it with me just incase :L

27sauce

Reaction score
My '94 Standard has had THREE breaks, and doing 150+ gigs a year since 2000, only one was gig related.

The first was a fly out gig in 2004, I opened the case up at the airport, and there it was, headstock hanging off. I try to avoid checking guitars, but many times I have no choice.

second time was a mere two months after getting it fixed. I was at home trying out my new '58 Tremolux, and while leaning over my strap lock failed, head first in to concrete. It was Dunlop that I guess thin inner pin never locked it self... Good news was that it was a new break, first repair intact.

Third was in '09, after setting it up I laid it next to me on the couch. I got up and accidentally dragged the guitar off. Head first in to hard wood floor. Again, a new break, two previous repairs in tact. Supid.

Latest Threads