Your favorite Throbak PAF and why?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

This year started with a fried neck pickup, turned into a complete overhaul of my '08 USA standard Lester, just back from a denibbing refret job.

It's all come full circle and I'm looking at pups again.

I contacted Jon and he confirmed my leanings towards the PG 102 set. Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with them, pros and cons compared to other models on offer.

I'm currently using a Duncan Antiquity with a full strength A2 magnet and another similar voiced PAF clone in the neck. Cover removed from the bridge for looks and a little more bite and a flipped mag in the neck for middle position magic. I run through a 5e3 clone with a clean boost in front for a little extra sizzle. Oh, VIP harness for pots with bumblebees.

So here's what I don't like, I find the current set doesn't really cut through a mix and even more, to get those real nice singing lead tones I have to crank my clean boost. I end up with way more saturation then I'd like, lose picking dynamics with the guitar volume full up, and have to roll back a considerable amount to clean back up. Not to mention the lack of that woody, hollow natural sound.

I'm feeling the PG102 with it's slightly hotter output and A5 mags will give the extra thump without having to add as much sizzle from the boost pedal and help retain some of the more nuanced sonics we expect from a PAF.

I'm a little all over the place with my playing, but predominantly play bluesy rock stuff, and my fave Burst sounds are the Rev Willy G, Peter Green, and Don Felder.

So while I try to save up some dough, what do you all think? What's been your experience with the different makes offered by the mighty Throbak? Having used Ants for years, the idea of an A5 and hotter wind scares me a little, thinking it might be ice pickey in the bridge and not the mellower highs I really dig myself. That said, I think for what I'm trying to get it's the best way to go!

So yeah, I'm leaning towards the PG 102. Which do you use, and why them over one of the other sets?

MCT

Reaction score
The PG-102 is one of my favorite PAF clones. It definitely has the output and bite to really stand out in the mix, but stays articulate when you turn back the tones and volume for rhythm playing. I actually did a (very unprofessional) demo vid of them, maybe that might help you in your quest:

A lot will also ride on the other parts of your setup, but insofar as pickups go, the PG's should have no problem cutting through the mix.

BigJim

Reaction score
I love the SLE MXV 101s, I have them in one of my Les Pauls now.

I have some sort of hybrid set (A2 neck/A5 bridge) that I need to install ASAP (I forgot the model).

I tried the 101+'s, but they were not as "sweet" as the 101s.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! "Sweetness" is definitely a quality I'm looking for. Appreciate the feedback!

NotScott

Reaction score
I have spent time with the MT-102B, Koss-301 pre-repair and the PG-102 with vintage wire. I like them all but I have the PGs in one of my LPs now.

The MTs are nice. They do everything well and are easy to dial in to get what you want.

The Koss nail early Free. I mean NAIL it! That bridge pickup kicks all kinds of ass and the neck pickup just sings.

The PG bridge pickup is one of my favorite PAF repros. It growls, honks and spits and is not picky about what it is in nor how it is set up. The neck is a bit smoother than I like and really takes some fine tuning on the bass side to dip out any mud and make it work well but when dialed in, this set does the Peter Green/Gary Moore thing perfectly.

jlee

Reaction score
I’ve had the Pre-T set and still have a set of PG-102s. The PGs are probably my favorite set of all time. Thinking of getting a set for a semi-hollow without the magnet flip.

Bridge has snarl, but cleans up great. Neck has a nice hollow, flutey tone. Middle setting is as expected. I’ve had a bunch of PG style sets from other boutique winders and these are by far my favorite.

cherrick

Reaction score
I asked Historic Makeovers, and Kim saidi they like the KZ-115, so I bought 2 of them. I'm stuck in traffic behind the F'ing 'Rona virus until I can get to my luthier to do the swap.
But, I am hopeful.

dc007

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only ones I have ever owned are the SLE MXV 101's. They are very nice

john550

Reaction score
I wanted to put unposted pickups in, I can attest to kz-115 are an absolute great choice !

I also bought the pg -102s for another guitar , With these, I tried some magnets . I like " IL made " unoriented long A5

magnet in the neck pickup better with my amp , like the bridge p/u as is !

(tried both sets in both guitars with 4 different amps )

I played both today , I like the kz-115 better ! enough to get another set .

Last edited:

MCT

Reaction score
PG-102’s, SLE-101’s, and KZ-115’s are all dynamite. ER-Customs were a little too low-mid-ish for my Les Pauls, but would probably rock in an ES-335.

I’ve been meaning to try the MT-102b’s...someday soon.

Latest Threads