Your favorite "other" Gibson?

dspelman

Reaction score
My "other" non LP Gibson favorites include '70's L5S, an L6S, two 335s (one is a '67 ES-335 12-string), a Super 400, an ES-5 Switchmaster, an old '59 doubleneck, my resurrected ES-175 ('49 single P90 pickup in the neck position) and a few more.

SASouth

Reaction score
My "other" non LP Gibson favorites include '70's L5S, an L6S, two 335s (one is a '67 ES-335 12-string), a Super 400, an ES-5 Switchmaster, an old '59 doubleneck, my resurrected ES-175 ('49 single P90 pickup in the neck position) and a few more.
I’d like to see some pics. Especially of the Super 400 and the ES-5. I have an L6S too in Cherry Sunburst and a ‘59 ES-335 Reissue.

dspelman

Reaction score
I’d like to see some pics. Especially of the Super 400 and the ES-5. I have an L6S too in Cherry Sunburst and a ‘59 ES-335 Reissue.
I've actually never taken any of the Super 400 or the ES-5, and they've pretty much been in storage for a while. I'll have to get to it! My L6S is black (with an ebony fretboard!). The cherry sunburst versions are pretty rare, I think, so congrats on having one. There's a silverburst at the local GC, but I think it's going to be on the wall for a while. I got lucky with mine; it's pretty much pristine. When I bought it I was expecting some dings here and there, but it must have been under a bed all this time.

The L5S:

The 335-12 has been around the world a couple of time and the chipboard case (authentic Gibson) has come apart. It's not the chipboard that let go, but the thread that held it together has rotted over time..

That chew on the headstock has been there since about '68. There are a few other dings here and there. Awesome neck on that sucker. It's like playing ribbons.

dspelman

Reaction score
Here’s some pics of my L6-S. It has been lucky enough to make it to me without being modified beyond all recognition.
I know, right? Yours is gorgeous! When I was looking for a good one, I kept finding "upgraded" L6S with the six-way pickup selector turned into a three-way, the pickups "upgraded" to SDs, the bridge "upgraded" to some standard LP thing, and the mids rolloff "upgraded" to an additional volume control (or some other thing). Usually the pickguards no longer have a point, or are warped or some aftermarket thing subbed in. I was just lucky (as were you, apparently), and the price was very right, but I was still prepared for a lot worse condition than what I got.

I think it was because the L6S wasn't all that popular when new, and it never really got to expensive vintage status. But with the fairly thin body and wide cutaway (and 24 frets) it's actually a very comfortable guitar to play in the upper frets. The nut width is a bit narrow (1 9/16ths on mine) but the string spacing quickly becomes standard as you move up the neck, and with the bevels and tummy cut, it's a surprisingly comfortable guitar to play. Even though it's solid maple, it's surprisingly normal in weight and seems even a bit light (haven't weighed mine yet). Most of the clearcoated maple ones have really ambered up. Yours looks NOT to have had that happen. I think one of the Doobie Brothers played a CSB L6S for a while. Yours looks really good! I think some of these have brass nuts.

The L6S was *never* a cheaper version of the L5S, and you can't put an L6S in an L5S case (or vice versa). The L5S has a very different cutaway shape, a very different neck (22 frets), a body that's carved both top and bottom, a ton of binding, ordinary electronics and pickups. It's also an all-maple guitar, like the L6S, but it never had a pickguard. While I love the L5S, the L6S is a much more interesting guitar for the period.

SASouth

Reaction score
I got my L6-S at a decent price in its original case. It’s not guitar that I play a lot but every now and then I pull it out for a couple hours and remind myself why I bought it. I dig it partly because it is so wicked clean, but also because of the different tones I can get out of it.

Your L5S is very nice. I’ve always liked the L5S. My favorites were the ones that have the L5 trapeze tailpiece and humbuckers. I’ve never been able to find one in a price range that I could justify to myself. Maybe one of these days. There have always been other guitars I’ve wanted just a little bit more than an L5S.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was lucky to find an "unupgraded" 73 block L6-S like I had new from 73 until about 95.

Your sunburst is gorgeous.

Pic pending the time to make some nice ones, here is the seller's pic until then..

uhxzxezs3owjtyieo9ih.jpg

SASouth

Reaction score
That’s cool. Does the maple fretboard really brighten an already bright guitar?

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's pretty snappy, and has a strident sound that I've found only on some maple tele necks so far. Since it's the guitar I "grew up with," I was never really sure it it was the wood/finish or the electronics. It certainly spoiled me for glassy slick fretboards. A nice play polished ebony is my next favorite.

There was one like yours on Reverb a while back that someone else scored while I was getting offers refused by the seller :)

SASouth

Reaction score
I got mine from Guitar Works in Evanston, IL. I don’t remember how I ran across their web site but when I saw the pics I had to have it.

I’d never run across one in cherry sunburst before and I was around back in the day when L6-S’ were new guitars.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweet looking axes! Here are the other two I have at the moment:

20160525_021753a.jpg

The Maple 78 came wired like the reissue with Gibson 49x pups. I bought the Ebony one as a guide to restore the maple one. These came along before the 73 block Custom came into my life.

Last edited: