Your "Desert Island Discs".........

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
"Desert Island Discs" is a BBC radio programme that has been around for as long as I can ever remember. It has a very simple format. A well known person is invited into the studio and asked to assume they are to spend the rest of their lives in solitude on an imaginary desert island. They are allowed to pick eight pieces of music to take with them. In addition they are given The Bible (or an appropriate work relevant to their own religion) and the complete works of Shakespeare. They are allowed ONE luxury which must NOT enable or assist them in leaving the island and a book of their choice.

These little shows give a real insight into a persons life. For example, Dave Gilmour took the Koran and an accoustic guitar. George Foreman took a book of poetry by John Burroughs and a pillow!

I'll give you an example.........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_lm3E4BvFk[/ame]

All four parts are on Youtube.:thumb:

McCartney, Gilmour they have all done it and make some interesting choices. Sitting alone for the rest of my life wouldn't be all about guitar music, I would need memories of home, family and friends and as such these eight pieces of music are very hard to compile. But I've done my best and these are mine.

The theme to "Dads Army" sung by Bud Flanagan. - Growing up in post war Britain, this type of music was always sung by my dad in the bathroom every morning. Whatever song he was singing always finished with the line "and never kiss your granny while she's shaving!"

Shirley Bassey. Diamonds are forever! - I love Shirl'!!

Gerry and the Pacemakers. Ferry cross the Mersey. - Reminds me of my mum, stood at the sink, washing up the Sunday dinner and singing this song.

La Boheme. Pucini - Just beautiful music.

The Beatles. A day in the life. - Nothing captures that moment in time like this song.

The theme to the 60's tv show "Robinson Crusoe - Because I'm on a desert bloody island! And I love it!

Jose Feliciano. Come on baby light my fire. - Reminds me of a wonderful time in my life.

Snoop Dog. Boss's life. - Took my kids and some mates away. They played Snoop constantly and after three days I was singing it too, so this is for them.

My book would be "Wind in the willows" by Kenneth Graham. I have read it a hundred times. Loved it as a kid, loved reading it to my kids and it so reminds me of the English countryside.

My luxury would be a lifetime supply of single malt whisky. Sat around my camp fire at night, Shirley Bassey on the turntable and a large single malt in the glass, flicking over the pages of "Wind in the willows"............it don't get much better than that!

It was a tough choice between the scotch and a guitar but I figured I could try and make a guitar!:laugh2:

El_Greco

Reaction score
Why the hell would they give them Shakespeare?
If I were to spend my life on a deserted island I'd rather have last years Playboys :D

single cut 54

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Although not in chronological order ,these records all bring back great memories and happy days.

lovin' you ain't so easy, Michel Pagliaro (reminds me of an Old Mate of mine)
Days , The Kinks (Ray Davies at his best)
Taxman, The Beatles (almost everything from revolver
Would do)
My old School, Steely Dan (
Wide eyed and legless, Andy Fairweather Lowe (we've all been there)
Reasons for waiting, Jethro Tull (So different from the rest)

Fire and Water , Free
The Stumble, Greeny with Bluesbreakers (Thats the first time I'd
Heard of Greeny )
Shit I ain't even mentioned Queen.

My book would be The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner,
also a Childrens book that I read in the ealy sixties but still love.

I'd really need a nice knife for whittlin' ,so that would be my Luxury.

kluson

Reaction score
here we go then
Highway Star - Deep purple , brings back so many great memories
Hungry Eyes - Sad Cafe, brings back the early days of meeting nmy wife and what a voice Paul Young had , such a sad loss and such a shame, he's no longer with us .
Sunny Side of the Street - Trapeze, cause my Dad loved it!, me too
Still in Love with You - Thin Lizzy, if I can only have one then this will be it, great memories of life on the road
I'll be creeping - Free , So many memories with this one
Disco Stomp - Hamilton Bohannon i loved it as a tiddler and later stolen by Slash
All in your Mind - Stray - because we were mates
you've got to hide your love away - The Beatles, first album I ever had, memories of the old Dansette, Christmas in the front room , only time we ever went in the front room, Happy Childhood.

Luxury, :- 00028 EC, while away the hours
Book:- The Prophet - Khalil Gibran, got me through many a rough patch

Hemply

Reaction score
Just my Lowden... I'll take care of the rest!:thumb:

kluson

Reaction score
Although not in chronological order ,these records all bring back great memories and happy days.

Would do)
Wide eyed and legless, Andy Faiweather Lowe (we've all been there)

Fire and Water , Free
Heard of Greeny )

wow Terry I read that as a kid too, did you also read Devil in the Fog - Leon Garfield, how about " the Onion man" ?

wow Terry I read that as a kid too, did you also read Devil in the Fog - Leon Garfield, how about " the Onion man" ?

Jason

Reaction score
My object of comfort would be an acoustic guitar, hand built just for me. My religious text would be this:

51rtPKDQOzL._SS500_.jpg

Yes, I must cheat the system. :laugh2: I need a blanket!

And one song that would be mandatory for sure:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q[/ame]

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why the hell would they give them Shakespeare?
If I were to spend my life on a deserted island I'd rather have last years Playboys :D

it's probably so you don't have to spend a whole lot of time gathering firewood :thumb:

single cut 54

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Dave, I've never read the Devil in the fog or The Onion Man. I think ''Moonfleet'' and ''The family from One end street '' are the only two other books that I read as a Kid.Ha Ha

BMS

Reaction score
If there was a instructional disc called, "How to get of a desert island" that would be the one I'd pick. :laugh2:

Jason

Reaction score
The guy was one of a kind, to be sure. I love the guitar, but I have to admit the human voice is nearer and dearer to me as far as instruments go...

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would take the Tao Te Ching and be very glad I had Shakespeare...matter of fact it is my life long ambition to have throughly read both with as deep a possible understanding of them...(this is my quick answere)

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
I'm glad you spared us the long one, Saint!!!!:naughty:

Just kidding!:thumb:

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Actually Saint, you are one of the people whose "Desert Island Discs" I'd really be interested to see and listen to.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you spared us the long one, Saint!!!!:naughty:

Just kidding!:thumb:

lol...what you don't like the bard? (to be a bit more corpreal...Hey, I am with you, sex can be more enlightening then any book I have ever read....)

Cookie-boy

Reaction score

Would do)
Wide eyed and legless, Andy Faiweather Lowe (we've all been there)

Fire and Water , Free
Heard of Greeny )

Got to love some AFL! And yes, we've all been there!

I went for the scotch as my luxury as I was counting on you building the guitar!!!!:laugh2:

Latest Threads