Your Best Discount at Guitar Center?

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
In the last 8 hours I have been to 5 guitar shops and played a little over a dozen Les Paul's and the one that stuck out was a 2019 Les Paul Standard Goldtop. One guitar center offered 15% off for a dents and dings discount while another offered me 10% on a 2020 50s Tobacco burst that was basically unplayed. I didn't press for more discount at the time on the TB but I imagine I could have gotten more discount had I tried. I'm not sure how I feel about them charging full retail for a 2019 model, is that common practice?

Just curious if any of you have had success haggling with GC before? If so, what kind of discount did they offer you?

Last edited:

Benniator

Reaction score
I still get at least 15% off at their sister site, Musician’s Friend, through my sales guy. I assume GC is the same since they share inventory.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
15% off a dents and dings?

15 off is standard on new in box.

I'd hit the used market from a reputable seller first if that's all they'll offer.

IMHO

Red Beard

Reaction score
Guitar center always gives 10% off on new guitar purchase
It should be automatic
So if you like the gold top you should get the 15% scratch an dent then 10% for new guitar purchase
Just sayn thats where id go
But i wouldnt buy a guitar on discount alone it has to ne something you like an want
Just sayn

uncajoey

Reaction score
In negotiating the price of any goods, one needs to be ready to pull the trigger at that moment or walk. Going from shop to shop fishing for discounts hen you haven’t even decided on the guitar is wasting time. Pick the guitar that you want, then talk price. Everyone here seems to thino 15 off is the target, so go fo that price on the one You really can’t live without.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not my best deal at GC but it was pretty good........ I bought this 2012 R9 a couple of years back for the soul purpose of doing a Historic Makeover by Kim....... since the makeover would replace the fretboard with a brazilian rw fretboard i didn't care this had the bi-layer board (actually i don't even know if this one has one, never removed the nut to check)..... but it sounds perfect the way it is, i didn't want to change a thing....... so no makeover.

This is a mint example, no wear at all.....GC had a tag for $3500..... I walked out the door for $2700.... maybe because it hung on the wall for a year or more.
500D905F-7C80-49E0-96BC-678DE2024A06.jpeg

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
New, I will wait until Sweetwater or the like has that “call for extra savings” thing they do on certain models. Prices are too low to advertise because the manufacturers feel it will damage the brand. You can get 25-33% off.

But used guitars......
My best deals ever have been when somebody was selling their guitar at guitar center.

When I hear the “x is the best we can do”, I tell the customer (out of earshot from employees) “Hell, I’ll give you $50 above that right now”.

I guess some people think this is a dirtbag move? I really don’t care. The seller got more $ in his pocket than selling to GC.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I usually get at least 15-20% off at GC. The last guitar I purchased from them was my Les Paul Custom, which was 15% off the original $5499.

PauloQS

Reaction score
Best savings I got at GC was on a 2017 Standard T during their guitar-a-thon, which was the last one with significant savings. I think I got the guitar for a little under $2,000. I can usually get 10%-15% off and still be able to finance it. If I’m not financing, depending on the month and model I can get 20%. My 60th Anniversary R9 I got a price match kind of deal. I’m lucky to have one of the few good GC around me. The people at my local store are spectacular. I actually became friends with a few of the sales people.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Sweetwater and the other online heavy retailers. However, I prefer to play a guitar before I buy it. Also, when I changed my mind in the past with Sweetwater, I still to pay the return shipping. This was back in either 2017 or 2018 and I actually changed my mind and return a Studio T to get a Standard HP. I have never got a bad guitar from Sweetwater, though, and I trust them to take care of me if I ever do.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
This was an $1800 dollar guitar from GC I got for $1280, which is about 28% off. I purchased it on a Black Friday sale, where it was on back order at the time and the first one they sent my got lost by UPS during delivery where I had to wait like 2-3 weeks for them to try and find it. Needless to say that GC ordered me a new one, but there were none in stock at the time, so they gave me an additional like $125 off. I finally got this X-Mas present I purchased for myself in like February and it came with a faulty switch that did not work all the time. Anyway... she was definitely a player and I was already attached to her, so instead of getting it replaced, I just took it to a Gibson Authorized repair center and got it fixed right. I will have this girl (Johanna) for a long time to come.

lpstudiohp3.jpg

freak

Reaction score
I go to the same guitar center, deal with the same guy, every time. Depending what i get, it is usually 20%, but i do a lot of business there. I brought a 2019 les paul standard in may, got 20% off, and just brought a Gibson acoustic G-45, for 20% off. I think they get a few 'friends and families' discounts they can throw around. Got the same 20% of a 1965 Fender reissue a few years ago.
But yeah, 10% minimum.

Latest Threads