Your 1st guitar

NeptuneBlue

Reaction score
I know there's probably been a thread on it, but I was curious... who still has their first guitar? If you don't, do you regret parting with it?

Reason being, I just sold mine recently, and it got brought up in conversation with a guy I was jamming with who said that I shouldn't have. That and Praxis's new thread got me thinking... Personally I don't see it as a big deal - it was never played. It was just sitting there in a corner collecting dust for the past year and a half. I didn't even remember I still had it most of the time, or when I did see it that it was, in fact, my first. I'd even dare say that in my mind, all of it's sentimental value had faded, or perhaps gone into my #1 (which is my third) due to the circumstances under which I acquired it. Will I, in years to come, regret my decision?

Feel free to share stories or jerkoff comments - all are welcome :laugh2:

Lungo

Reaction score
Don't still have my first girlfriend either. Or my second. :thumb:

Howard2k

Reaction score
It was a cheap acoustic which I played for a few months and then gave up guitars for 30 years.

I don't miss the guitar at all, but I do wish I hadn't given up!

First modern guitar was an Epi Special II. Don't miss it one bit.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still got it, never sell it. '83 Matsumoku Vantage VE570. All original and still awesome :)

If it was junk, I'd sell my first, but this thing is pretty awesome.

Far Left:

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
Sounds like yours was not a 53 Strat or something great so unless you become a guitar hero and filmmakers want to take shots of your first guitar, it is just a matter of sentimentallity and that is up to you. I still have my first guitar, a "freight damaged" no-name acoustic I paid $30 for fifty years ago, but it is just a room decoration now. I do wish I hadn't sold my second guitar however, a '67 ES-330 sunburst.

twst1up

Reaction score
Fender bullet....FENDER, maybe an 82

dsmcl77

Reaction score
1984 Westone Spectrum III, model built only this year in Matsumoku.

Still got it, quite a nice piece of wood (maple and alder), but I had to change pups, hardware and electronics.

From the Westone website:

Spectrum III | Westone Guitars — the Home of Westone
Spectrum III

Production

Matsumoku, 1984
Description

This model was introduced in 1984 as a replacement for the Concord H-III which was discontinued, and is absolutely no relation to the Spectrum III that was introduced in 1987.
This model was likely dropped in 1985 with the introduction of the new Spectrum guitars.
Specs

• body: solid Alder
  • neck: one piece Maple
  • fingerboard: Rosewood
  • graphite nut
  • 25.5 inch scale
  • 22 frets
  • H/S/H pickups (2 Hammer I and 1 Super II)
  • precision Tremelo tailpiece
  • single volume and 2 tone controls
  • tone controls are push-pull switches for coil tap and phase adjust
Thanks to Jonathan Springall for the photos of his guitar

spec3front.jpg
spec3back.jpg

spec3bodyfront.jpg
spec3bodyback.jpg
spec3headstock.jpg
spec3neckplate.jpg

http://www.westoneguitars.net/history-2/horzline-small/

sk8rat

Reaction score
I dont still have it but I could go grab it if I wanted it back. its in a shed at a friends house, I cant imagine what shape it could be in though, the shed is about the size or an out house and has no door

only reason I regret getting rid of it is because it took me so long to get another one

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have it. Late 70's Memphis Les Paul copy. Took a ton of abuse over the years. Dimarzio Super Distortion in the neck and an Epi Classic bridge pickup. Also, finally found a use for those stupid amber knobs...

Still break it out every once and while for "old times sake."

dennis g

Reaction score
It was 1961, I'd just seen the Kingston Trio and realized they weren't working, they were having fun. Two weeks later told my Dad I wanted to learn to play the guitar. He said if that were the case, I'd need a Gibson. We (he) bought an entry level Gibby LG-0, that became the down payment on my first electric a year of so later. I'd love to have that guitar back.

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
I still have mine, but it just sits collect dust.

That being said, I really have no reason to hold onto it besides the fact that it has almost zero resale value because it's a Squier affinity strat, and a beaten up one at that. I really don't have any sentimental attachment to it, because I never really bonded with it, unlike my Epi. I doubt that I'll ever sell the Epi.

sonar1

Reaction score
I got rid of my first POS Kay after about a year (shortly after I was allowed to spend a bit of gramma's "College" money that was stashed for me in a bank account on a '61 Gibson J-45)!

The J-45 I regret trading for a trombone years later for our middle son's school band career (all two weeks of it).

:doh:

S. Rock

Reaction score
I got my first guitar when I was 14. wait ! that's a line to a song. but it is true.

I had wanted a guitar for a long time. my dad saw one in the Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate. he called a friend of his that played guitar and asked if it was a good guitar. the friend told daddy that it was one of the best guitars made. the guitar was a 1959 Gretsch Anniversary Model. this was in 1966. I have been playing ever since and I still have the old guitar too. when I take it out of the case and start playing, it's like visiting with an old friend. oh, my dad's friend used to play with Johnny Rivers when he was still in Baton Rouge before Johnny went big.

Attachments

• 1959 Gretsch G6124 Anniversary Model #4.jpg
    1959 Gretsch G6124 Anniversary Model #4.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 26

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
ESP Tele. Mid 80s. Bought new. Still have it.

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Wish I did. It was a Decca MIJ. I saw one ebay and bid on it but, it finally sold for about $365 or so plus shipping. My dad originally paid for my Decca about $50. I also got a little plastic junk amp. I believe it had a tiny tube in it. It sounded like shit unless you cranked it up. I miss my Decca. Someday when I'm more financially stable than right now I'll try to hunt one down again, if I can.

Latest Threads