You will inevitably buy one simply because of what it is

smurph1

Reaction score
Before I get started, I will admit I haven't been here very often as of late. There's reasons for it. Good reasons. But they're not important as far as this thread goes.

This is.

If you are reading this, you have either bought a Gibson Les Paul...

....or you are going to eventually buy a Gibson Les Paul. There's no two bones about it.

It's not about the quality, it's not about how well it plays, it's not about the tone. This is all just a bunch of crap.

YOU will eventually buy one simply because of what it is....which is a Gibson Les Paul. Anyone who is even semi-serious about guitar will inevitably flirt with ownership as a rite of passage.

And if you're HERE, you're more than casually interested in the model.

Truth be told? Pshah. The more guitars I play, the less impressed I am.
But that isn't the point. Maybe you have an Ibanez, an Epiphone, another clone, or even something comparable like a high end ESP or a Tokai or whatever...

....it doesn't matter.

It's like buying a classic muscle car. That's all that will do. You won't be satisfied with something that is just as fast, or is even faster or handles better than the '69 Chevelle or the Shelby Mustang Cobra....

..because of what they aren't.

..and in truth, you'd probably be doing yourself a huge favor by ceasing the endless justifications for buying one. There are none, other than "it's a Gibson Les Paul", you have the cash, and you want it just for that reason alone.

Are you paying too much? Damn straight you are. But does it really matter? Probably not.

Peace.
True Dat!!:) I DO LIKE THE TONE THOUGH!!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You sure about that?

beautiful guitar, but the toggle switch placement is ..... 'special'

stop playing and reach behind the bridge to switch pups? no thanks.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
pics of girlfriend?

Sure...I am a lefty though.....

the_sentry-albums-guitars-stuff-picture40878-face3.jpg

the_sentry-albums-guitars-stuff-picture53499-dscn2264.jpg

And yeah...I have one of these, too. :laugh2:

the_sentry-albums-guitars-stuff-picture53498-dscn2256.jpg

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to wade. I'm not going to dive. I'll find a Gibson LP when I do.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
when it's time the right one will come to you, Fett

:)

brianbzed

Reaction score
That is exactly right Sentry! I bought my first Les Paul because it's A LES PAUL!!!! I saw my earliest guitar heroes play them on TV ( Peter Frampton,Pete Townsend,Jimmy Page,Joe Perry,Brad Whitford,Skynyrd.....even those posers in Kiss-not heroes to me). Same story with a Fender Stratocaster ( because of Jimi Hendrix!), but I have never fallen in love with that instrument.....oh well.... :applause:

EVH9442

Reaction score
beautiful guitar, but the toggle switch placement is ..... 'special'

stop playing and reach behind the bridge to switch pups? no thanks.

Got me with the low blow there! But then again, couldn't you say the same about SG's or Double-Cutaway Les Pauls?

BEACHBUM

Reaction score
You don't care about price, quality or paying for things you don't want. You must have a Les Paul.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Got me with the low blow there! But then again, couldn't you say the same about SG's or Double-Cutaway Les Pauls?

wouldn't know since I rock a Les Paul,..the superior, perfect guitar.

:laugh2:

seriously though, that PRS is really nice looking. :thumb:

EVH9442

Reaction score
wouldn't know since I rock a Les Paul,..the superior, perfect guitar.

:laugh2:

seriously though, that PRS is really nice looking. :thumb:

Hey, I rock a Paul too man. But if there's one thing PRS surely does better than Gibson, it's wood selection. Gibson has some nice tops available, but you pay an extra thousand or two for it; PRS has some exquisite wood back there, and they sure know how to make 'em POP! :slash:

eeprete

Reaction score
I have an Epi Les Paul (and not ashamed to admit it).... It's extremely nice, but yes at the end of the day it's still not THE ONE that made this whole crazy interest/hobby/obsession what it is today.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
Sheesh. I just sold my LP for a profit, and bought a Hello Kitty Strat. What should I do. Please....tell me the direction one must take to achieve true happiness. :laugh2:

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Sheesh. I just sold my LP for a profit, and bought a Hello Kitty Strat. What should I do. Please....tell me the direction one must take to achieve true happiness. :laugh2:
Begin by starting a thread about your crisis...

Your welcome

Lightningflash

Reaction score
I agree with the op. Gibson LP's are not the best value out there, maybe not the best playing either. They are really good guitars but inevitably we buy them because of the stigma attached to them and for the name. Most of u guys that gig know that 99% of people at a club or cantina that you're playing at wouldn't know if u were playing an esp or an epiphone as long as it was shaped like a lp, the crowd thinks you're playing a lp.

LP Bob

Reaction score
I bought my 2009 LP Trad Pro because it played and sounded incredible...it lived up to the hype. That's all that's important...sound, playability, looks, versatility with coil-taps, stays in tune with locking Grovers..what's not to like. Sort of like Led Zep...some legends lived up to the hype. It sounds bigger and better than my 1992 CE-24 PRS, which is a light, comfy, stable, fantastic sounding and playing axe all around. The LP Trad Pro was like upgrading from a .22 to a machine gun, or a walmart wrench to a Craftsman. It's a serious, professional tool that delivers. That being said, Gibson is known for some QC consistency issues that PRS doesn't seem to have, but when you play a good LP, you can feel it's a serious instrument that's ready to party.

gt5litre

Reaction score
I have a 2013 LP Standard and happy I have it. I am considering an Agile Goldtop for a guitar to keep on a stand in the living room. Put the right pickups in it it will comp the same tone as my Paul. So Pesky you keep keeping on with your Agile, it will do you real fine!

My next guitar will be a Coral Pink Jaguar and after that an American Standard Tele in Crimson Transparent. Gas is such a devil and an angel too!

Brent

LenPaul

Reaction score
you will buy a new one simply because it is what it is, even if it isn't.:D

Latest Threads