You only need 1...

RevWillie

Reaction score
From my perspective, I see FOUR pickups!

And yes, I'd need them all!

:laugh2:

There's one of each of the 4 major families: P-90, Fender single coil, mini-humbucker, and humbucker. :D

Okay Rev what's the lowdown with that Explorer.......haven't seen one(no pun intended) of those ever before Bill?

As Rich said above, it was built by builder/refinisher/restorer Clive Brown under the old Dwight brand name he purchased. Wonderful realistic aging and retro vibe, big comfortable neck, hot PAF-type pickup, wenge fingerboard that should darken nicely with a drop of oil, 7 pounds 6 ounces of resonant Korina goodness!

i-FRFBSGj.jpg

heheh

Title of the thread is "YOU only need 1...", so we are agreeing that it could have been "I only need 1...." :)

Personally, I need 2. :)

(For the record I love Jrs, am just playfully stirring the s$&t, and I owned a ratted out 59 TV Jr, I don't own a lot of guitars intentionally, so it had to go as I couldn't live without a neck pickup)
I don't ask much of my guitars but I do need 2 pickups. As someone said earlier, bridge PU's on a junior can't sound like a neck PU.
I respecfully disagree with the OP. I definitely need 2.

I look at it l!ke this....

"You only need 0ne"

:hmm:

One Gibson pup is sometimes....moAr than enough :D

and w!th two pups... :lol:

eVen... better :naughty:

I like 2 pickups most of the time too. Thanks for posting! :thumb:

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I like and need a big juicy hummer at the neck for slide, other than I am happy with any thing.

ColdCobra

Reaction score
Awesome guitars! But that explorer, whoa mama :applause: I bet it rips.

All my guitars are 2 pickup, yet I'm on the bridge pickup most of the time. Where did I go wrong!?

RevWillie

Reaction score
I know the Explorer Junior doesn't have a neck pickup but I can't get over all the great sounds coming out of this guitar. :D Tone on 10 is almost Tele-like or Junior sounding; tone on 6 gives you all the fat ballsy humbucker goodness you could ever want! Maybe no 'pure neck pickup tones' but some damn good approximations...

And gorgeous Korina! :thumb:

i-zBhntRX.jpg

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm not a big fan of 1 pickup guitars....but the pics in this thread are incredible

69 Goldtop

Reaction score
Having learned on an 56 junior, I lean toward the single pickup. Then in 84 getting a Phantom GT.
A single pickup makes me feel somehow limited. I guess i really like that cause it makes me work that much harder to get the tone I want. Yeah you miss that neck tone sweetness but I try picking forward a little. To get kinda a bell tone.
Plus dog ears sound a little better to me. And that long uninterrupted neck set.

To the credit of the neck pickup I no longer play either Jr. or Phantom. But remember where home is :)

Whooops ,forgot pic

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Jr heaven!!!!!

OBX351

Reaction score
Why not? Just roll back the treble for some woman tone. Some people speculate that these guitars have more sustain because there is no neck pickup magnet pulling on the strings. Phil X mentions it in one of his videos. Anyway this '63 SG/LP is INSANE sounding and one of my favorite guitars.

attachment.php

Attachments

• '63 LP SG Jr.jpg
    '63 LP SG Jr.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 290

DanL

Reaction score
I couldn't live without 2 pickups! The neck can never get the warm creamy tones of a neck pup and the neck pup can never get that same treble bite as the bridge. Sorry guys, I need 2!

Latest Threads