You have to put your hands on them...

Lannes

Reaction score
I set out on a mission this afternoon. I went to the local Guitar Center and when they asked me if they could help me, I told them- "I'm going to be playing a lot of your Epiphone Les Pauls today. Please bring me a few guitar stands, a tuner and a Fender Blues Junior, if it won't be too much trouble. They cheerfully (GASP!) did all that I asked and then left me alone (Double GASP!)

I then proceeded to play all the Epi Les Pauls in the store that I would remotely consider buying solely based on the top- altogether, about 12. Some were OK. Some were dogs. The jack on one was faulty. Eventually I narrowed it down to a Goldtop with coil splits and a plus top Vintage Sunburst with no coil split. The Goldtop, though the neck played like a dream, lost out as it sounded too thin even with the humbuckers on compared to the Vintage. As side note- all the coil split Epi's I played- about 8, sounded thin on humbucker compared to the Vintage. Maybe the Vintage is a little overwound...Don't know.

Anyway, I then A/B'd the Vintage against three random Gibson LPs taken off the wall. Yes, the fit and finish on the Gibsons were somewhat better and they have more....heft, I suppose. But the sound......

The Epi went head to head with the Gibsons and stayed right with them....same growl, same creamy neck pickup. Fretboard played like there was no tomorrow.

I came home with the Vintage for $499, a very happy camper. Yes, all told, it took me 3 hours to run through all the guitars I wanted, but I was really trying to prove something to myself- that being, Epi quality has improved magnitudes since I last bought one 7 years ago. Not across the board, but if you take the time to play and evaluate them, one can find a hell of an instrument for a fraction of what the big brothers are going for.

So...as an ex owner of 2 Gibson Les Pauls, I guess you could say my eyes were opened a lot today....and that's usually a good thing. :dude:

56GT

Reaction score
HNGD
now lets see those pics.

BTW - from the title of this thread, I was hopping it was going to be about some large tits. :D

davies

Banned/Not Banned
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
HNGD
now lets see those pics.

BTW - from the title of this thread, I was hopping it was going to be about some large tits. :D

While you're waiting...

davies-albums-general-pics-picture50790-birds.jpg

They may not be large, but they are great.

barricwiley

Reaction score
Congrats on the HNGD, AND, Congrats on doing it right - don't have to wish I'd done this or done that.:applause:

Fireproof

Reaction score
Awesome. Sounds like a good day of testing. Let's see those pics now!

Lannes

Reaction score
Sorry for being so late with the pics!!!! Crazyness at work (Vehicle theft.)

But before the pics- allow me to crown myself King Idiot. I'll explain- I was so enraptured with the humbucker sound on my new guitar, plus the fact that there were no little tags around the knobs, that I totally failed to notice that my Vintage Sunburst is a split coil model as well....just a split coil model that had a pair of balls apparently. They sound fine split and I can get close to Garcia's tone with the neck split and fiddling the Vox.

Anyway..on to the pics-

007.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

LesterKC

Reaction score
Congrats, beautiful guitar, and lovely rosewood fretboad!

LP-lover-1976

Reaction score
HNGD! And why can't everyone do this rather than ask everyone which one is better. As the title says you have to put your own hands on them. Way to choose the best for you man! Happly playing... and welcome to MLP!!

Lannes

Reaction score
Ran through side 1 of Fillmore East last night and Whipping Post/Mountain Jam tonight and still could not be happier with this guitar. :dude:

The new Vox Valvetronix is a treat too. Great sound and fun to fiddle around with.

IanMak3103

Reaction score
HNGD + extra bonus surprise on the coil tapping!!

I used to be one of those who'd ask opinions, but now,
I've learnt to go for what feels right, and I totally love the 2 LPs I've got right now.

Hope you'll love yours, too!

LP-lover-1976

Reaction score
Yeah, Vox is a real sweetheart. I have that one's lil brother, the VT-15. For a small amp it sure talks pretty. Can't beat tube amps in my opinion.

Is that the AC-30?

Lannes

Reaction score
Nope, it's the VT20. An AC30 would be a little too much for me these days. My wife and daughter would probably run me out of the house and I'm not in a band now anyway. It's a fun little amp- A hybrid with models to mess with.

I was messing around with it last night and put it on the model that is Brian May's modded amp, hit one chord, and I was like, "Holy shit! That sounds just like Brian May...lol. :laugh2:

Latest Threads