You have more than 1 Les Paul -- do you set them up the same or differently?

David Garner

Reaction score
When I acquired my 2nd, by trade, I decided I wanted one to be "vintage" and one to be "hard rock." They didn't stay that way, but I also didn't want them to be identical. So I have one set up as a sweeter, cleaner blues machine, and one set up as a snarlier, angrier rock machine, but both have unpotted PAF style pickups and the same basic hardware and wiring. For me, I like a particular sound from a Les Paul. Variations on that theme are good, but I couldn't spend much time with one of them being set up for stuff like 80s metal and more modern tones. It ended up being something I just wasn't after.

I considered setting one up for slide but I haven't (yet?) done that. Right now, I enjoy the slight sonic differences between them.

I've seen others who set them all up the same way. "I have 10 Les Pauls and they all have Bare Knuckle Mules" or whatever.

What's your preference?

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I have one with Bareknuckle Mules :D (well an Epiphone LP anyway) and the other has the standard Gibson P90s, so they sound quite different to start with. For some reason the Epiphone needs 10s on it rather than the 9.5s on the GT otherwise the Epi feels too loose, so I guess they are set up differently too. Not for the lack of trying different adjustments, but that's what seems to work for them and me.

Have to say that I do tend to play the same stuff on both of them though (whatever we're learning for our next gig).

I too don't understand the having 10 of (whatever) guitars if they are pretty much the same, perhaps bar colour differences or some minor spec changes. Perhaps someone who gigs a lot and needs some backups/different tunings, but otherwise I can't understand it.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont even use same setup on same guitar...that is a weird question.

You should setup depends on the song, or the tone you need specifically for the notes you are playing. It’s a musical instrument not a racing car....

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
All my LPs are different sound wise as all my guitars and that is some 20+ instruments. Some are strung with 10s and some with 9s....... Playing setups vary.... but pretty similar. I do play them differently.... my fingers will produce different sounds..... harmonics, vibratos, muting can all be different on each........ Nothing is dead on the same.

dsmcl77

Reaction score
I have three. Set up are more or less the same and same 10-46 string brand.

1993 LP Standard: covered 490/495 pups, 60 slim neck
2002 LP studio with, ebony fretboad, swiss cheesed and uncovered T Top replica pups, .59 neck
2009 LP studio with ebony fretboard, chambered and EMG 85/81 pups, 50's neck

All sound very different... in a Les Paul kind of way. That's why I have them.

ARandall

Reaction score
I choose the setup based on how the individual instrument best reacts to string gauge and tuning. Some just sound better with certain string gauges, or sound fuller/less muffled/clearer.....whatever - at regular tuning or 1/2 step down.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I have an Epi and a Gibson they are set up quite similarly, but im a newbie so im gonna get my luthier buddy to set mine up the way he likes his once I have an idea than I will do it myself Im ok with the action as of now:hmm:

Mockbel

Reaction score
My R8 has BurstBuckers and I love it for clean and blues stuff... The Traditional has Classic 57 pickups and I prefer it for rock and high gain tone

dspelman

Reaction score
Setup (strings, action, etc.) is the same.
But the guitars are different.

This one has neck-through construction with a Floyd, a 16" radius, 1 3/4" nut width, jumbo frets, a hot '57 in the bridge, a sustainer, a Fast Track II in the neck, etc.

This one over here is a neck-through without a Floyd and with a 12-16" compound radius, jumbo frets and Suhr Aldrich pickups.

Then there's this one, which is a set neck with a shaved neck heel (like the previous two), a thinner and chambered body (and the same pickups as the first one), but a 12" radius, medium frets, a 1 11/16" nut width and a Floyd.

There's this one, with an extended neck, 14" radius, 24 frets, a Floyd and some kind of AlnicoV pickups, and this one over here that has the same neck (14" radius, 24 frets, Floyd) but has a Sustainer and a Super Distortion in the bridge.

This one has a 27" scale, 24 frets, 14" radius and...wait... strings.

And this one has P90's, a 14" radius, jumbo frets and looks similar to that one over there, which has an Aldrich pickup in the bridge and something else in the neck and...

brianbzed

Reaction score
When I acquired my 2nd, by trade, I decided I wanted one to be "vintage" and one to be "hard rock." They didn't stay that way, but I also didn't want them to be identical. So I have one set up as a sweeter, cleaner blues machine, and one set up as a snarlier, angrier rock machine, but both have unpotted PAF style pickups and the same basic hardware and wiring. For me, I like a particular sound from a Les Paul. Variations on that theme are good, but I couldn't spend much time with one of them being set up for stuff like 80s metal and more modern tones. It ended up being something I just wasn't after.

I considered setting one up for slide but I haven't (yet?) done that. Right now, I enjoy the slight sonic differences between them.

I've seen others who set them all up the same way. "I have 10 Les Pauls and they all have Bare Knuckle Mules" or whatever.

What's your preference?
I have seven...all strung 9-42...all with stock pickups, except "Old Yeller"...she has a vintage 1986 SD JB in the bridge position. If I need radical tone differences, I've got the amp and a pedalboard!
09 (3).jpg
09 (3).jpg09 (3).jpg

grumphh

Reaction score
Any guitar i own is set up by me, and i set them up to where the individual guitar has what to me is the best compromise between playability* and "tone" - so every guitar is set up (and occasionally tuned) differently, except that all my guitars have 010's on them for convenience.

EDIT: I misunderstood the term "set up" as used in the OP - in any case much the same as the above applies to my guitars regarding pickups etc, it depends on the guitar: Pretty much every guitar i have (currently 9 electrics) is in some way different from the others, even the same model of guitar.
E.g. i have two Gibson LP's and one japanese LP copy - One Gibson has the original 70's pickups in it, one has "Dirty Fingers" and the copy has a weird combination of an old SC Höfner in the bridge and a Maxxon minihumbucker in the neck.

I want them all to sound different, to me, not being a pro player who needs consistency and replaceability, that is the point of having multiple guitars...

* The way i attack the strings makes it necessary for me to have a relatively high action, as otherwise the tone suffers noticeably - i could set them up lower and still be buzz free, but with my playing, if set to low the tone thins out noticeably :(

Last edited:

boola1

Reaction score
Yes, my R8 is stock with the custombuckers and I changed out the 59 tribute pickups from my 14 Traditional. I don't need 2 guitars trying to do the same thing.

In the Trad I put a JB in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck which makes it a nice rock/metal machine. Actually I'm extremely impressed with the Ducan 59 neck. It's also better suited to my quite bright/tight sounding Trad.

Both guitars use the same strings (9-46) and both have 50s wiring (I switched the Trad), I can't understand the point of modern wiring :)

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Recently I started using 10-52 on some guitar, which lacks punch on the bass strings. It's a cool option as doesn't seem affecting relief, you can barely feel the difference since we are talking about low strings only, and the tone does improve quite a lot if you have a guitar which tends to be dull and thin on the bass side, like I have with some Les Paul.

Yeah, each guitar it's a different animal, you can't really setup all the same...and imho, it's always good to keep changing things here and there, along the time, since guitars aren't a static thing.

It's great fun. :thumb:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
For setup, as in action and hardware, mine are all the same. I make my differences with pickup types. One humbucker, one p90, one minihumbucker.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess the real challenge would be to take any two of my guitars and have them be sonic twins. Even my Les Pauls have different fret boards (rosewood and ebony) as well as necks (maple,hog,fat and skinny).... and all have different pickups (57s,T-Tops,Burstbuckers,Custombuckers,490s, and P90s). Lots of tone to choose from. :cool:

mdubya

Reaction score
Setup (string gauge, height, action, neck relief, etc) is as close to the same as possible.

If I were steady gigging in a band, two guitars as close to the same as possible would be a priority; a #1 and a backup.

Since that is NOT the case, I like to enjoy the differences between my guitars. 2 with P-90's - ES330 and SG, 2 ES335's - one slim 60's neck and one fat '59 neck, ES LP with MHS buckers - as much like the ES 330 as it is like an LP, non-reverse Firebird with full size humbuckers - my defacto SG standard, Ibby FRM 100 with noiseless singles - my defacto strat :eek2:. Viva la difference.

I change guitars more often than I change amp (modeling) setting. This week I have been swapping guitars with the Super Reverb amp model being the constant.

NotScott

Silver Supporter
Reaction score

All my LPs have different necks, different pickups and sound different. However, they all get setup with the same strings and the same action. The only thing that changes are pup adjustments to dial in each guitar to do its thing best. I want all my guitars to feel similar but sound different.