You guys ever buy a guitar listed oversees on Reverb?

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always purchased guitars on Reverb listed in the USA or Canada. Never bought anything from Europe or elsewhere. I've always thought it seemed sketchy. Is it? Anyone have good/bad experiences?

jaqueh

Reaction score
the really cheap ones from no review sellers in europe, especially germany are all scams and you can't actually get your money back

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have to pay a tax, tariff or import fee over and above the selling and shipping price?

smk506

Reaction score
Did you have to pay a tax, tariff or import fee over and above the selling and shipping price?
It depends on a few things.

From what I can tell under $800 and there’s no import fee or duty. Over $800 and there is. If you receive via fedex, they pay the duty and bill you after the fact. If it’s an American made guitar returning to the country of origin, there should be no tax…I think. That hasn’t happened for me yet but I believe I’ve read that a few times.

In the cases where I’ve been billed for import fees from fedex it’s always been a pretty small amount, maybe $100 on a guitar that cost me $1500 to get here. It’s worth considering, but in my case/opinion it’s well worth the money considering the MIJ guitars are so damn good and so much cheaper than the equivalent US models.

mjross

Reaction score
Purchased a Zerberus Hydra from a gentleman in Amsterdam. Just took a lot longer to get it than I thought it would and we thought it was lost for a while. However, in the end it all worked out.

thxphotog

Reaction score
I bought a Setzer Gretsch from The Fellowship of Acoustics store in the Netherlands through Reverb. Amazing transaction, great communication etc. Shipped to L.A. and I had it in a couple days. I was nervous as hell because it's not what I would consider a 'tough, sturdy' guitar, but it arrived meticulously packed and is perfect.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I bought my 2014 CV50 60th Anniversary Aztec Gold Stratocaster from Hong Kong in Dec 2021. Got here in 7 days. I've had slower shipping stateside.

shobotan

Reaction score
Purchased a new SG Standard earlier this year off Reverb from a vendor in Paris, France. Seller was excellent, guitar travelled 17000kms (SYD, AUS) without a blemish. The reaming from customs was a bit rough but expected. Still 10% cheaper than one sourced locally.

zhollywood

Reaction score
If you are purchasing a guitar overseas through Reverb, first check the seller’s website. I recently purchased a LP Custom from Japan and found it for about $500 less plus cheaper shipping costs on their website.

When it arrived via DHL in only 3 days, I had to pay up just under $200 in import duty fees.

Last edited:

DrRobert

Reaction score
Back in the dark ages, before Reverb, before Ebay, before Mylespaul or Birds and Moons (the Gear Page) I used to answer ads from the Bargain Finder online. I was linked up to a guy in England that had a weird PRS and a vintage Special he wanted to sell at a good price. We arranged a money order! and he sent them to me on an airplane (he had connections) to Chicago where I picked them up. It was a great experience. I also bought a bunch of tubes and a Gibson GA79RVT chassis off a guy in England that never came. It was a terrible experience.

Payment and shipping can be fraught going back and forth. Shipping can take weeks, cost a lot, and stuff can simply disappear. That said, if you pay with Paypal or a CC you can probably feel pretty safe from that point of view. Insurance on stuff shipped internationally can be a lot, it's probably better if you have Heritage insurance on all your instruments and just add the new guitar before shipping. UPS and Fedex both charge to clear the package thru customs-anywhere from $50-300 in my experience. Postal service doesn't charge, but they limit the size and weight they'll accept.

Is it a good idea? If you've got the safeguards in place and the money makes sense, why not?

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought one from an authorized dealer in Germany. I had a good experience other than waiting forever for the shipment to come (during COVID). I found the guitar on Reverb, reached out to the dealer by email directly, then waited for a day when the exchange rate was a little more favorable and ended up saving a decent amount over buying through Reverb or through a US dealer.

est54

Reaction score
I have bought multiple guitars from Japan and had great experiences each time. I think you need to do a little research to make sure that your buying from someone reputable but I would be afraid to buy from them.

One-Eyed Jack

Reaction score
I've purchased three guitars from overseas, two from Switzerland (an Andy Summers Tele and a vintage '65 Strat) and one from Australia (Custom Shop LE Telecaster). The Swiss sellers were individuals and I dealt with them through Reverb. The Australian seller was a music store that I dealt with directly. I looked up their music store online, just as I would for a retail store in the US, and I called and spoke with the store manager - it's only few dollars. They have a lot of Fender Custom Shop inventory and had been in business for 35 years. All three sales turned out fine, except I had to pay $500 customs duty on the Fender CS Tele that was made in Corona, CA. That was a huge surprise. Do your due diligence, use Reverb for personal sales, check out overseas retailers online before purchasing. Using a credit card may provide you some protection.

gazzie

Reaction score
I've always purchased guitars on Reverb listed in the USA or Canada. Never bought anything from Europe or elsewhere. I've always thought it seemed sketchy. Is it? Anyone have good/bad experiences?
As someone from Europe (UK) I resent your insinuation we're sketchy! Ha ha! I would say the same thing back at you, I would never consider buying something from USA/Canada on Reverb or eBay. Not because you're all dodgy, but too much can go wrong between the item being shipped and received if buying from abroad. My mate bought a seriously expensive Fender bass from USA and it arrived in pieces - probably 50 pieces! Literally smashed to bits, even though it was in the proper case. God knows what happened to it. Of course that could happen if buying in the same country - but sorting it out is sooo much easier! And also crazy import duties.

23adrock

Reaction score
I have. Twice. No problems other than import hassles and time.

If it’s a US made guitar (Gibson), you can do the “US goods returned” form and save a ton on import duties. It’s a pain but I’m 2/2 on it working.

Latest Threads