"You can only play one at a time"

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
I think most of us who own a collection of guitars have experienced this silly statement a few times?

"Why do you need more than one?" "You can only play one at a time." "What's the difference anyway, this is a guitar and that's a guitar".
Usually this means "I have a different hobby so yours is pointless" or "I do not play guitar, so other people who do are wasting their money". It sometimes comes with some free, unwanted financial advice on what else you should spend your money on.

I can't be the only one?

So... tell me all the ways you've made this stupid conversation die. Post your stories, funny experiences, anything related to someone "not in the know" already coming to you with an opinion on how much you are allowed to own with their permission.

Recently I started replying "Throw out all your underwear... you can only wear one pair of underwear and socks at a time".

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
As I often say
"Hobbies are about denying DEATH ,do whatever you must to avoid contemplating the endgame, for some it is drugs...others SEX....some collect people...

I have 18 guitars + 60 pedals +7 amps and I STILL brood. I actually use all mine,I play gigs with whatever strikes me...maybe ESP?Hamer?.....I also record with endless variations...Big Muff +Strat,+Silvertone amp..

Life is about variety.

questionman

Reaction score
Usually when I ask what they do and spend money on in their free time its "hiking" or "kayaking" or "mountain biking" to which I reply "ok I have all that too, what else?"

Then they shut it and move onto something else, like why it was a mistake for me to buy a house when renting is so much easier

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
This thread inspired me,I need more,I think I'll get MRS.FEZZ to buy me a new Harmony 5 watt amp....Hell,I may ask for a Schecter PT also,I have many songs to record.......I was just sitting here thinking about my skull---just waiting for my flesh to rot--MOCKING ME! I need mucho distraction! TAKE ME AWAY FROM ALL THIS DEATH!

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
Go axe a mechanic how many wrenches he has.
I don't understand why it's such a problem with guitars. Maybe it's just the people I meet or something.
Before I used the underwear thing I used to say "Go ask a golfer why he needs so many clubs"

This thread has taught me one thing, the solution is to find a wife :rofl: .

I get a new guitar and the first thing most of the people I know ask is "How much?". Nobody asks "do you like it? are you enjoying it? does it sound good?" :hmm:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
This. Nobody else matters. As long as she's not tripping over them on her way to bed.....all good.
dave, also never have FUZZ pedals where her feet can hit them while folding my clothes-PUSH THEM WAY UNDER!
I don't understand why it's such a problem with guitars. Maybe it's just the people I meet or something.
Before I used the underwear thing I used to say "Go ask a golfer why he needs so many clubs"

This thread has taught me one thing, the solution is to find a wife :rofl: .

I get a new guitar and the first thing most of the people I know ask is "How much?". Nobody asks "do you like it? are you enjoying it? does it sound good?" :hmm:
lespaul, ONLY if she is a "good wife" too many fickle gals out there. Mine wants me happy 24+7-pretty hard task considering I'm a doomed POET- she constantly 'checks" my mood- realizes I must stay creative. She bought me my Asheton V and my Page dragon+++++SEX.....c'mon a no brainer!

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Sounds like most of the people you know (much like myself) are not musicians.

Those don't sound like any of the responses I would get from the few musicians I know.

They would ask how much . . . it just wouldn't be the first question.

Latest Threads