You can buy only one guitar, 1999 classic or 2004 standard, same money both heritage cherry burst.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Get the Standard. Better value if you ever need to sell it, and I personally believe that the early 00’s Standards are some of the best built until the new 19’s and 20’s. You should be much happier with the components, hardware, pickups, everything. Most of us change pickups anyhow, so take that for what it’s worth, but the Standard is what you should buy unless you can play them both and the Classic just blows it out of the water.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Well for me looks aren’t the most important thing, and as others mentioned, and as I’ve learned over the years- sound and feel are the most important, at least as far as I’m concerned.

That being said, looks are still important for a variety of reasons which you seem to have already figured out, especially since you can’t necessarily try out both guitars.

But I would do just that if at all possible, you just never know!

Ive picked up an ugly duckling guitar more than a few times and been amazed at how sweet it sounded- a bolt on all “Maple” Cort for example offered for less than 200$ (which was a bit much at the time!)

But man did it ever Rip and Scream!

tmgcustom

Reaction score
A plain top Classic shouldn't be worth nearly as much as a flamey Standard. If you don't have a chance to play them, and are buying blind, I'd take the Standard. that way if you don't like it you can sell it for more money...

rogue3

Reaction score
I bought a guitar with a V2 neck as I loved the slim neck on my les paul DC, and they are great, when I play them I feel like I can reach everything I need too, now here's the rub, I have two guitars with club like necks, now after a session playing them, the thinner necks feel really weird, like cheap somehow, I know that sounds bizarre but it's the best way I can describe it. So necks? I have no idea any more, lol. I think, that I favour the standard, looking at the '99, seller claims non weight relieved, opinion on here disagrees with that so seller might be one of those types that say things to sell, not based in facts.
I claim similiar conflicting feelings over the years here too!

My tastes have been whatever guitar i was slinging at the time.I just went with it.

Today, comfort is something i am more aware of.And in retrospect,looking at the guitars i've kept,they tend to slimmer necks.
...But not skinny> as i tend to wrap my thumb around and like to have something to hold on to,sounds like woman,innit?:rofl:.
One exception,my 2010 R8. I like a chunky neck for a changeup,fun to play.But everyday player is a nice less chunky neck.No or minimal shoulders.My Fender deluxe telecasters are...perfect.that modern round slightly oval 9 to 15 radius. Next up are my late 80's lesters.Nice and comfortable.Back in the day i thought they were closer to chunky,like a 59. Then i got the R8. No contest,the R8 is a chunky neck.

The op will have to evolve there to see what he prefers.It is a journey,for me,anyway.

Last edited:

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I've played a lot of Classics, and almost every one of them were great guitars. I've also played a lot of Standards, with the majority of them being...so-so.

IMHO, depending on your "quality-cost" ratio, I'd say, go for a Classic.

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
Always pick the guitar that sounds and plays the best.

That being said, I think in 15-20 years, if guitars are still popular and relevant in modern music, the Classic will be worth more.

Brek

Reaction score
I am talking to the bank about a short term loan, dismissed the classic for now as just got my r8 back and the thicker neck is the sweet spot for at mo, so the 2004 standard is the one I will go after. Obs, if it plays like a dog will walk away. So why go to the bank? That’s a secret. Will post if it comes off.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
My favorite non-custom shop Les Paul was a 2004 Standard (broken in shipping, sadly). I've never played a Classic that I liked, NEVER.

Just FYI, some 2004 Standards had 60s necks, so if you want a thicker neck make sure that's what you're getting.

Moby Dick

Reaction score
They are both great choices.
I had a 2003 standard that I sold for a 2000 classic but sight-unseen, I would lean toward the standard because the pickups are nicer in my opinion, the flame top is a plus and the 2002-2005 standards are the last of the non-chambered/modern weight relieved Standards.

Either way is a good choice.

Kody

Reaction score
I have a 2004 standard. It can do mellow sweet sounds all the way to peeling the paint off the walls. Great guitar and I don’t think I will ever let it go.

Latest Threads