You can buy only one guitar, 1999 classic or 2004 standard, same money both heritage cherry burst.

Brek

Reaction score
Which one? Damn’d if I can decide.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
My number 1 is an 07 HCB classic with 496/500..totally stock other than the nickel covers and bigsby...

I’m biased but I’d take a turn-of-the-century classic over any and every guitar I’ve ever played...

-Chris

tmgcustom

Reaction score
A little more info would be helpful. Is the Classic a Plain top, Plus top, or Premium Plus top? Is the Standard a Plus top?
Are the weights of each comparable? Condition of each comparable? Both all original? I'm surprised to see that the Standard is the same price as the Classic. These things might help us with a more useful answer for you...I own both Classics and a Standard. love them both.

truckermde

Reaction score
I forget.

Do '99 Classics have those snot-green inlays?

laterider

Reaction score
If the 2004 is a 50's neck its a clear decision. If a 60's I still think it would be the better choice if general condition of both is the same.

JMP

Reaction score
Are you able to play them? I don’t think one is inherently super to the other.

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Coin toss for me - both great guitars, but if given the opportunity, I’d play them both and go with whatever felt best...

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy either of them without more details.
The info you’ve given isn’t enough for me to make a decision really. Not a fan of cherry bursts though, I like plain honey or tobacco.

Brek

Reaction score
The 99 classic is a plain top, the 2004 standard has a very nice flame, both within travelling distance, but ones north and ones south, so makes for a long trip. I am leaning to the 99 as it is solid back, and I believe not weight relieved. If I had sold my d-18 I wouldn’t even be asking the question. I would have, assuming they played right got both. The 99 is advertised at a higher price, but I would only buy at £1500, the 2004 is on for £1475. The top on it is insane for a standard. The 99 though looks to have quite a plastic look to the back lacquer. Cannot really see through to the grain. The 2004 looks more like a reissue with aniline, can see the grain clearly through it. It’s one not aniline but it’s a good looking finish. Damn, still no closer.

Last edited:

Injector

Reaction score
Pricey. I sold a mint 2019 50s Standard for £1350 earlier this year.
Out of the two you mention and if you can't demo them.both I would buy the one in the best condition. If they're both the same then I'd buy the one that looks best.

Brek

Reaction score
Pricey. I sold a mint 2019 50s Standard for £1350 earlier this year.
Out of the two you mention and if you can't demo them.both I would buy the one in the best condition. If they're both the same then I'd buy the one that looks best.
Will talk to guy selling the 04 and see if he will come down. The 99 is in a shop, they have reduced from £1995 to £1675, I was thinking 1500 for that one. In terms of looks the, 2004 wins hands down. But I am swayed to the 99 due to historical elements.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
I love Classic's but I have to recommend the Standard here.

Gibson refreshed the Standard in '02. Better bodies and tops, pickups etc....they are a high point of USA line Les Pauls up until '05 or so. Lots of people hold them in really high esteem. The standard should have a beefier neck too. From a resale perspective the Standard should hold value much better than the classic.

You should go play the Classic if you can though. Some of them are amazing. My '01 Classic can hold its own with CS guitars after I gave it new pickups and harness.

The '99 will be Swiss cheesed weight relieved but the rest of the spec's are really nice with the exception of the pickups (they aren't great, everyone swaps them). The number one thing to check on a Classic is the neck stiffness, if it is even a little floppy, then hands down get the Standard. However I think the lumber they used in Classics back then was really top shelf for tone, they surprised a lot of people, most just couldn't get past the skinny neck.

rogue3

Reaction score
Whatever you do,choose the one that feels and sounds right.I think,today,i'd be more inclined to the 60's neck shape,but you never know with gibson.It depends on who was shaving the neck at the time.If it is as billed,the classic would have more currency with me,all other things being equal, just because of the slimmer ,less chunky neck.ymmv.

Brek

Reaction score
Whatever you do,choose the one that feels and sounds right.I think,today,i'd be more inclined to the 60's neck shape,but you never know with gibson.It depends on who was shaving the neck at the time.If it is as billed,the classic would have more currency with me,all other things being equal, just because of the slimmer ,less chunky neck.ymmv.
I bought a guitar with a V2 neck as I loved the slim neck on my les paul DC, and they are great, when I play them I feel like I can reach everything I need too, now here's the rub, I have two guitars with club like necks, now after a session playing them, the thinner necks feel really weird, like cheap somehow, I know that sounds bizarre but it's the best way I can describe it. So necks? I have no idea any more, lol. I think, that I favour the standard, looking at the '99, seller claims non weight relieved, opinion on here disagrees with that so seller might be one of those types that say things to sell, not based in facts.

Latest Threads