Yngwie Bashes Ibanez Guitars

LPJNoob

Reaction score
I think he's an amazing player, but he's wrong here IMO. I've played 1 Ibanez before(a Jem IIRC) & enjoyed it. Love my LPJ and wouldn't trade it for anything, but Ibanez are REALLY good guitars as well. Surprised he trashes them so much, considering he's good friends with Steve Vai(who plays Ibanez).

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I love Yngwie as a player, but god damn I cannot stand him as a person. He gives me the impression that if you looked up the word gatekeeper in a dictionary, you'd find a picture of him next to the definition.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
As someone who's had a couple Ibbys and a couple Strats, I can completely get him hating Ibbys.

It's like going from a Les Paul to an Eclipse or somthing. They're very Les Paul-y looks wise, but it's a completely different guitar. Add Yngwie's Yngwie-ness to that, and they are bad copies.

I started with Ibbys because they fixed all the "problems" with a Strat, and have traded my way through all the super strats, until I wound up with a hot rodded Fender and a CS Charvel that feel more straty than pretty much ever Fender I've played.

Malikon

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My favorite Strat is a Charvel.

My Ibanez was nice until the weather changed then all the frets popped up. Now even with the action way higher than I'd like there's still buzz and dead spots.

Bummer. It was fun until that happened

Mark_the_Knife

Reaction score
Yngwie probably has not played either the original Joe Satriani Chrome Boy, or its reissue (below).

This has a bell-like clarity on virtually every note / fret position. I heard Joe playing the basswood prototype in midtown NY and he wowed all the music aficionados. In NYC, every concertgoer is an expert, right? I would have gotten him to sign my first gen Chrome Boy, but the case was huge, and I did not feel like carrying it on the subway.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
If he is referring to the pointy headed Jem style guitars that Vai used to play then I kind of agree. Every one of those I tried had no tone. And I don't remember seeing many strat copies. Their semihollowbody AS line from the early 80s and some of their 70s Gibson LP and firebird copies were pretty cool. That being said, I don't really care about his opinion. Isn't his favourite strat a 70s maple necked one? I have only played a few 70s strats but I would take an early 80s Tokai, Greco or Fernandes over the 70s strats I have tried /owned.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Ibanez has made awesome basses. Their high-end Soundgear basses from the 90's ans early 2000's were an incredible value, and sounded really good. No idea how the newer ones are. They've made good guitars, too, but I've never played one that I thought was exceptional, like their basses. That's just me, though. Some people absolutely love them. I don't think many of those people hang out at MLP.:)

BKS

Reaction score
I love my 88 ibanez artstar the rest i had my hands on sucked for me.... But than they are just not for me.
Glad he was honest about not surviving 5 minutes on stage with a les paul.... Looser haha.
That said.
... I don't own one Fender... Guitar :laugh2:

I love yngwie malmsteen always a funny guy :rofl:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Quote:
“I’m an original, very purist kinda guy,” he added, “that’s why I use Marshalls, Ferraris–whatever. I like the original stuff."

Scalloped fretboard?

:dunno:

Oh, and Fuck you Yngwie!
:laugh2:

Sorry, is Yngwie your "original" name?

(born Lars Johan Yngve Lannerbäck )
:facepalm:

ARandall

Reaction score
Everybody has their own opinion. It doesn't take too many words before poorly reasoned opinions and trollish behaviour becomes obvious.

Mockbel

Reaction score
My 1992 RG550 Ibby is one of my best and favorite guitars... Still that’s Yngwie.. ha can say whatever he wants :)

MCT

Reaction score
I think he's an amazing player, but he's wrong here IMO. I've played 1 Ibanez before(a Jem IIRC) & enjoyed it. Love my LPJ and wouldn't trade it for anything, but Ibanez are REALLY good guitars as well. Surprised he trashes them so much, considering he's good friends with Steve Vai(who plays Ibanez).

His argument about being a “purist” his pretty funny, considering how many effects he uses for his sound. What exactly is he considering “pure?” Even his amp- I’ve heard Marshalls called many things, but “pure” isn’t one of them.

The guy’s certainly got a ton of opinions, but if every opinion is truly like a certain bodily orifice, well, he’s just a big giant one of those.

Gclef

Reaction score
Ibanez makes up almost 1/2 my meager collection.

I have 3 rgs and an artcore as73g.

But my warmoth "strat" is by far my best, fastest, most awesome guitar.

The as73 and an rg520qs are really really good too.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
He's probably pissed that Ibanez wouldn't make him a signature model.

Great technical player, has all the taste of a jar of spit, and has anybody see a pic of him from the last two decades?

Latest Threads