Yet Another Grover to Kluson Thread

Johnny Znuff

Reaction score
Newbie here... I've been a bass player, but switching over to guitar. 'Just traded my bass rig on a '93 tobacco Standard Plain Top. She's got a few bumps and bruises here and there, but overall pretty nice. Good original frets. I knew when I first laid eyes on her that the replacement BLACK Grovers would have to go, preferably for a more classic-looking Kluson type. So I just went through the whole learning process of bored holes and conversion bushings. I think I'm comfortable with the Gotoh bushings with the oversized flange to cover the Grover washer indent. But as I began removing the Grovers, I've noticed that when they were installed, they were apparently torqued in too tightly, and the surrounding lacquer bubbled up around a few of them (outside the zone of the washer). I mean, it's not awful, and I'm going to proceed regardless... 'Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to polish/ remove/ clean the bubbled lacquer before I started loading the new bushings and tuners...
Thanks!
album.php

album.php

Johnny Znuff

Reaction score
full

I'm not, but, hey, if there's something I can do to make it nicer, I'll do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

scozz

Reaction score
Congrats on the new LP! :thumb: I agree with Tim, I wouldn't worry about it either. BTW, that's a sweet looking LP, I don't know what the previous owner was thinking putting black tuning machines on it?? :shock:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I wouldn't really do anything to the bubbled laquer save a quick rub down.... you might make it worse.

Johnny Znuff

Reaction score
I actually found some other forums concerning the same issue. Some guys are swearing by "sweating" a little super glue up underneath the bubble(s). Others say a headstock refin is the only answer. I may "experiment" with some super glue in an area that I'm sure I can cover up (with the bushing)... But other than that, I got this LP to play, not to prop on a pedestal and admire. Guess I can live with a few bubbles... Thanks for your replies...

Latest Threads