Yes or...

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I saw them in Philly, back in 74. They really blew my mind. Of course, at the time my mind was probably already altered, slightly - LOL. But, what an amazing assembly of extremely brilliant musicians. As a young teen, exploring music beyond ubiquitous "rock" - Yes was almost orchestral and spacey. Their initial impact on me was positive.

Yet, over time, just like with Rush... the monotony of the abysmal vocals, combined with endless droning on of musical self-indulgent interludes, drove me away. It became just flat out, mind numbingly boring to me.

And that screeching voice??? Fuck me!

Again, they were musically brilliant. Relevant? OK, sure. Why not? But, unlike the Floyd, another band cut from similar cloth, Yes' songs were just awful, even the "hits".

Sirius/XM should start a new channel: The endless, boring, screeching bands of the 70's. :laugh2:

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I saw them in Philly, back in 74. They really blew my mind. Of course, at the time my mind was probably already altered, slightly - LOL. But, what an amazing assembly of extremely brilliant musicians. As a young teen, exploring music beyond ubiquitous "rock" - Yes was almost orchestral and spacey. Their initial impact on me was positive.

Yet, over time, just like with Rush... the monotony of the abysmal vocals, combined with endless droning on of musical self-indulgent interludes, drove me away. It became just flat out, mind numbingly boring to me.

And that screeching voice??? Fuck me!

Again, they were musically brilliant. Relevant? OK, sure. Why not? But, unlike the Floyd, another band cut from similar cloth, Yes' songs were just awful, even the "hits".

Sirius/XM should start a new channel: The endless, boring, screeching bands of the 70's. :laugh2:
I’m the opposite: I hated them from day one. I liked rock, I liked early Springsteen, Iggy, Rainbow, Deep Purple andbands that could play a good song in under five minutes. Then I got their greatest hits, and actually enjoyed those songs, which made me delve further into their catalogue. Over time I grew to appreciate what they were doing. Then when some of theirlive stuff showed up on YouTube and I could see that they were an honest to God live performance band then I became a fan.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "formative" Yes memory / opinion :

When I was in High School, the Cheerleading squad was practicing their dance routine to "Roundabout" directly opposite the open classroom that I was a Teachers Assistant in. Many, many times, on repeat. I came to love that song. Simply for the visuals.

fry

Reaction score
Ive never been a fan...
I totally get that. Prog rock isn’t for everybody. I can take it in small doses, but it usually ends up just being a lot of noodling, kind of soulless.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
There is a lot of YES that I do like. In fact, really really like. And other stuff just seems like everyone is just playing their own thing. In their own timing.

It's was mostly Squire and Wakeman's playing that drew me in though. White is also a good drummer and I think he often gets overlooked.

I have to admin that I do prefer Rabin over Howe . Rabin seems more playful and less stiff in his playing than Howe. And he can play Steve's parts flawlessly. I think Howe, the Crypt keeper himself, is leading the latest cover band that call's themselves YES.

People often speak of Yes and King Crimson together. Perhaps, because Bill Bruford was in both bands. But I could never 'get into' what ever it was they were doing. A few memorable songs, but tough to listen to.

The new stuff Yes has put out without Anderson (and now Wakeman and Squire) is very unmemorable.
I might still go see, live, whoever is playing in YES. But they better not charge classic line up prices.

KTM

Reaction score
Long time Yes fan. I've seen them a couple of times. Including once "in the round" great show.

Meatwad

Reaction score
Longtime fan here.

I was lucky enough to have been turned on to them by one of my guitar teachers in my formative years, and he taught me "Mood For a Day" way back when..... I still play that one to this day.

I wore out a few copies of Yessongs, yet.......I've never worn a cape.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes on Yes.

Again, something about Brit rock, and especially Brit prog rock that appeals to one's musical taste as well as musical intellect. Great musicianship.

DavGrape

Reaction score
YES at Cobo in '76 was amazing, Uncle.
Really cool lasers, had never seen laser light show before.

Those pods overhead moved up and down, and had lights built into them.
unnamed.jpg

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I think Yes may be technically the greatest prog-rock band ever.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was stationed in Subic Bay Philippines used to hang out with the bands that played out in town. There was this guitarist "Roland" who was phenomenal. One day hanging out partying he picked up an acoustic and played this note for note. Great times and memories from the 70's.

I was there from '78 till about '83 with 2 years beach det in Cubi. Some great bands in Olongapo. There was a girl that played acoustic in the bars named Josie I think. Played Puff the Magic Dragon.

Latest Threads