"Yellow Ledbetter" Pickups

RYAN1987M

Reaction score
Hello,

I've unexpectedly come into a project! I was offered a great deal on a body and neck that I could not refuse - essentially I managed to snag an unloaded Classic Player '60s Strat.

Anyhow, what I envision for this guitar, sonically at least is - Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter".

To me, the tone at the beginning of that song is the quintessential Strat sound - and that's exactly what I'm after!

I'll be playing through a '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue (and I have a Barber Gain Changer for some added dirt).

So, given my gear, which pickups can I put in this shell of a Strat that will get me as close as possible to that "Yellow Ledbetter" Strat sound?

- Fender 57/62's?
- Fender 69's?
- Fralin Vintage Hots?
- D. Allen 69 VooDoo's?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - I'm open to suggestions!

Ryan

rabidhamster

Reaction score
At least one of the strats on that recording is a '59 with stock pickups. 57/62 will get you pretty close. Some of the other Fender custom shop sets might be a little closer, the fatter 50s sets. I forget the names now there are so many variations

Fralin should be able to wind you a set that nails it if you let him know what you want

stephenwz968

Reaction score
I'd contact Mick at Manlius and tell him what you're looking for, he'll set you up!

w.izzy

Reaction score
I would suggest J. M. Rolph pickups. wow

besides, i wanted to express that I enjoy more this subforum (almost type subreddit) more than the strat-talk itself..

Thank you very much

Latest Threads