yeehar NGD 07 junior

rjshare

Reaction score
finally managed to get a 50s necked jr that i have been looking for for as long as i can remember! its an 07 gloss finish - very good condition, that has been upgraded with cts pots, a PIO cap, faber bridge and shed mutz nutz p90.

not been able to plug it in yet, but it sounds loud and resonant unplugged so can't wait for sunday's rehearsal :dude:

934115_10153070135846362_3931686884986728432_n.jpg

12565414_10153070135911362_2992809397100024148_n.jpg

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a sexy lookin' beast!! Gorgeous chunk of wood :)

Leroy

Reaction score
I miss my Jr.....

You might want to look at adding locking posts for the bridge too. Great mod and not to expensive either.

I hope you've got a great tube amp. Awesome combo.

Leroy

rjshare

Reaction score
I miss my Jr.....

You might want to look at adding locking posts for the bridge too. Great mod and not to expensive either.

I hope you've got a great tube amp. Awesome combo.

Leroy

yeah i have a melody maker with a wrap tail that i put some of the faber lock-down posts on which work well. i thought i might try some tone pros this time - just to see the difference.

as for my amp - i bought an ibanez tsa15 head not long back with a 2x12 marshall cab. looking forward to seeing how they go together :thumb:

endial

Reaction score
Excellent!

So, I'm taking from this that if I wanted a '50's necked Junior, this is the year I wanna shop for? And, while I'm asking, in your quest what others (years) did you find in regards to this, and what can you tell about it?

-Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on a b*tchin' acquisition! Damn handsome too.

rjshare

Reaction score
Excellent!

So, I'm taking from this that if I wanted a '50's necked Junior, this is the year I wanna shop for? And, while I'm asking, in your quest what others (years) did you find in regards to this, and what can you tell about it?

-Thanks in advance.

from what i can gather, there are no hard and fast rules for what had what and when re jrs and their necks. these gloss models were made from something like 2000 until 2010-ish and had mostly 50s necks (this one is sort of big but still isnt a baseball bat!) but i have seen some that are slim taper.

there was also some that were sold as a 58 reissue around 2010-11 which bizarely had a 60s slim taper neck (i have one of these as seen in my avatar - i am going to sell it because i hate the neck although i like the guitar) these were satin finish.

around the same time there was a change to the "normal" line which i think became all satin finish but had some new colours available (notably pelham blue)

there is also of course the bja model - which is 60s slim neck.

i have also seen an advert from sometime back in the late 2000s for a store exclusive (possibly musicians friend?) that had some of the satin finish juniors with a 50s neck.

conclusion: it could be fvckin anything when you see one for sale :laugh2:

i've been searching for ages to find a fat neck one that isnt a custom shop vos mega bucks version, they are out there but seem to be in the minority.

knowing my luck, gibson will bring one out next week!

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
finally managed to get a 50s necked jr that i have been looking for for as long as i can remember! its an 07 gloss finish - very good condition, that has been upgraded with cts pots, a PIO cap, faber bridge and shed mutz nutz p90.

not been able to plug it in yet, but it sounds loud and resonant unplugged so can't wait for sunday's rehearsal :dude:

934115_10153070135846362_3931686884986728432_n.jpg

These no-nonsense little things are just the shyt man!
Congratulations!
:thumb:
P.S.: Sounds loud and resonant: Bingo!
Not wanting to fall into the "Interweb debate" about unplugged vs plugged
but I find that resonant guitars just sound good, period.

yeah i have a melody maker with a wrap tail that i put some of the faber lock-down posts on which work well. i thought i might try some tone pros this time - just to see the difference.
as for my amp - i bought an ibanez tsa15 head not long back with a 2x12 marshall cab. looking forward to seeing how they go together :thumb:

You know this can't be "scientific" as they will not be in the same guitar
but let us know what you find just the same.

rjshare

Reaction score
These no-nonsense little things are just the shyt man!
Congratulations!
P.S.: Sounds loud and resonant: Bingo!
Not wanting to fall into the "Interweb debate" about unplugged vs plugged
but I find that resonant guitars just sound good, period.

yeah - i know it isn't the be all and end all what they sound like unplugged, but it is always nice when you strum it, then hold it up and put your ear against the back of the body and hear/feel the vibrations 15 seconds later. i havent got my amp here at home at the moment so i still havent even heard what it sounds like yet - also looking forward to hearing this shed pickup because everything i have read about them on line has been really positive.

You know this can't be "scientific" as they will not be in the same guitar
but let us know what you find just the same.

yeah, it's not really a comparison for sound so much as for ease of use and quality of construction. i think that having the tailpiece clamped tight is what makes the biggest difference - the brand/construction is going to have a negligible effect to be honest - of course i will share my thoughts back here when i get them though, you know, just because! :thumb:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
yeah - i know it isn't the be all and end all what they sound like unplugged, but it is always nice when you strum it, then hold it up and put your ear against the back of the body and hear/feel the vibrations 15 seconds later. (...)

Funny you should mention that.
It's a thing I do with any guitar I seriously try.
I even did it two days ago with my 62RI, just for the hell of it.
Hadn't played it in a while and did so unplugged after my son asked me to see it.
When I put it to my ear my 4 1/2 yo son went: "What are you doing, daddy?" with a strange look on his face.
-"I just listen to it"... was my answer.
:D

Gmal

Reaction score
Juniors rock! I'm sure that P90 will scream like an angel. HNGD!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
Excellent!

-Thanks in advance.

if you want big necks get a 2015.got mine cheap,without robotune and for $333 new i couldnt pass it up.at least play one before you decide you hate it.

rjshare

Reaction score
if you want big necks get a 2015.got mine cheap,without robotune and for $333 new i couldnt pass it up.at least play one before you decide you hate it.

It is true that there have been some absolutely steaming deals on the 2015s, buy that neck is a very different type of big! I did try one but the neck is very wide and flat - and a slim taper. Still, I'm glad you like it :thumb:

endial

Reaction score

from what i can gather, there are no hard and fast rules for what had what and when re jrs and their necks. these gloss models were made from something like 2000 until 2010-ish and had mostly 50s necks (this one is sort of big but still isnt a baseball bat!) but i have seen some that are slim taper.

there was also some that were sold as a 58 reissue around 2010-11 which bizarely had a 60s slim taper neck (i have one of these as seen in my avatar - i am going to sell it because i hate the neck although i like the guitar) these were satin finish.

around the same time there was a change to the "normal" line which i think became all satin finish but had some new colours available (notably pelham blue)

there is also of course the bja model - which is 60s slim neck.

i have also seen an advert from sometime back in the late 2000s for a store exclusive (possibly musicians friend?) that had some of the satin finish juniors with a 50s neck.

conclusion: it could be fvckin anything when you see one for sale :laugh2:

i've been searching for ages to find a fat neck one that isnt a custom shop vos mega bucks version, they are out there but seem to be in the minority.

knowing my luck, gibson will bring one out next week!

Dude,

Thanks again for this. It really has alerted me to the game I'm going to have to play in any search for a (proper-necked) Junior. Thankfully, I've found recently that I am quite adaptable to a pretty wide variance in neck sizes, but to me a Junior just has to have that hunk of mahogany barn-beam neck behind it for that magical feel (and that TONE).
Also, armed with the above information I will know to be patient, and not hurry to grab the next available Junior just because it's there.

I'm really glad you found one for yourself. Rock the snot out of it!

PINKO

Reaction score
I've owned a few Jr's now. They're a totally different animal, buying used, than LPs. There's little consistency between years and specs, its not as easy to say, "I want a 2008, that's the year I'm going to buy"

I currently have a satin finish 2009. Seriously, in the top three of greatest guitars I've ever owned. BUT, I bought it sight unseen and went by the description, which was lacking. I'd also read that that year had totally different specs than mine actually has.

I got a satin finish with a thinner 60s neck. Not my bag but I love it all the same. I was expecting a gloss finish with a 50s neck.

And thus, I am forever on the hunt for a pre 2010 gloss finish with a 50s neck.

OP, great find! She's a beaut!

Latest Threads