YEEHAAW! Co-Worker's sending over a Dumble!!

flquacker

Reaction score
LOL...well sorta.

One of our late shift techs has got quite the amp and guitar collection.

Ran into him the other night and got to talking...7 or 8 years ago he got into what's been described on here as "builderampitus" :wow:

He went on to tell me how he just couldn't stop building the kits once he had done his first. He's completed (2) 5E3's , "and (2) 18 watts", and the Dumble clone.

He owns (3) old Fenders and a Mesa....."and a few others".

The question I got is, how many were selling the Dumble kits 7-8 years ago?

He can't recall who he got it from, but he did mention the 18 watt came from Canada. Trinity maybe?

Anyway, he got so consumed in building them...he never spent much time playing them!! Quality wise, I can say he is meticulous in his work and I'd expect the amps to be A+ builds.

This is gonna be fun.....I hope :applause:

flquacker

Reaction score
Is that for my reading pleasure?

Or, are you making an implied assumption of my character?

:)hmm:)

Quill

Reaction score
Funny; when I hear or read "Dumble", I think of this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7OINxfKZW0]YouTube - peace on my mind[/ame]

But you guys, you carry on with your wallowing fun.

I can't wait to hear what our op has to say about the amp - flquacker! Come back with a report! And I'd like to know about the dumble clone kits, too!

I can tell you the folks at Trinity are first rate; they make a beautiful 18-watt kit, but I have a hunch that their 15-watt head kit is in or at the level of flat-out indisputable heart-pounding sonic beauty of the Dumbles - and, if I fail in the attempt to discover a dumble clone - which I suspect might be brutally hard to assemble anyway - I'm gonna build that one.

There is Ceriatone, and those who've built a Ceriatone kit or two say they are great - and they have something called an "HRM" that is apparently scarily dumblesque. One might even say, dumblelic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61jK5BjYBz4[/ame]

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
Seems "Brown Note" has been making kits for a while, that may be the one.

Looking forward to your journey.
Post clips or even better, vids.

:D

Hamtone

Reaction score
I dont get the fan fair. I think they are great, really rare, and expensive. I dont understand though what makes them super duper, to so many guys. Im not saying they are bad, not even a little I think it would be great to have one, but I dont get the ridiculous price tag.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Funny; when I hear or read "Dumble", I think of this:

YouTube - peace on my mind

But you guys, you carry on with your wallowing fun.

I can't wait to hear what our op has to say about the amp - flquacker! Come back with a report! And I'd like to know about the dumble clone kits, too!

I can tell you the folks at Trinity are first rate; they make a beautiful 18-watt kit, but I have a hunch that their 15-watt head kit is in or at the level of flat-out indisputable heart-pounding sonic beauty of the Dumbles - and, if I fail in the attempt to discover a dumble clone - which I suspect might be brutally hard to assemble anyway - I'm gonna build that one.

There is Ceriatone, and those who've built a Ceriatone kit or two say they are great - and they have something called an "HRM" that is apparently scarily dumblesque. One might even say, dumblelic.

YouTube - Robben Ford - How deep in the blues Live 2007

The "HRM" (Hot Rubber Monkey) is actually a mod that was done to the Dumble amps. The Ceriatone version is an OTS (Over Tone Special). The Dumble was called the Over "Drive" Special (ODS). You could get the "HRM" mod for that model, which made the amp a bit more "rock n roll" or a better crunch than the standard Over Drive Special.
I am no expert, that is just the info I got while surfing around on the Ceriatone site, and Wikipedia.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
I dont get the fan fair. I think they are great, really rare, and expensive. I dont understand though what makes them super duper, to so many guys. Im not saying they are bad, not even a little I think it would be great to have one, but I dont get the ridiculous price tag.

They do have a very distinct sound, they have a ton of body, and a transparency and depth that is unmatched in any other amps I have heard. The clones come close, some closer than others. I find mostly the slide players like them..Lindley, Sonny Landreth, and there is a bunch more. The slide players like them because of the clear and smooth distortion coupled with GREAT note separation, and touch sensitivity.

flquacker

Reaction score
Gonna pick her up tonight, so we shall see.

He mentioned it as being about 20 watt :hmm: Maybe a Trinity....

I'll post up a quick pic or two IF, 1) it isn't embarrassing 2) I consider safe to plug in :)

Hamtone

Reaction score
They do have a very distinct sound, they have a ton of body, and a transparency and depth that is unmatched in any other amps I have heard. The clones come close, some closer than others. I find mostly the slide players like them..Lindley, Sonny Landreth, and there is a bunch more. The slide players like them because of the clear and smooth distortion coupled with GREAT note separation, and touch sensitivity.

Yep I get that and they are great but damn the price of a real one WTF?:laugh2: Studio magic would fix a 2k amp :cool:

hipofutura

Reaction score
Yep I get that and they are great but damn the price of a real one WTF?:laugh2: Studio magic would fix a 2k amp :cool:

They are great amps, but there are others equally good. The price is pure hype. No different than a Les Paul from the 1950's. You have to remember Dumble only made a hundred or so.

flquacker

Reaction score
Seems "Brown Note" has been making kits for a while, that may be the one.

Looking forward to your journey.
Post clips or even better, vids.

:D

Winner!

Gonna be a fun weekend :naughty:

DLiteODS.jpg

hudpucker

Reaction score

You mean the TC-15? It's basically a 15w DC-30 with an EF86 channel as well. Very Voxy. I have one. Cool amp but not in the Dumble camp at all.

ApostleTone

Reaction score
As soon as you said it was around 20 watts that gave it away as being Brown Note - I believe they are the only ones who make a 20w kit.

And the Ceriaton OTS is a great amp and I have no plans on getting rid of mine any time soon. It was THE sound I've been searching for.

Latest Threads