Year three in new house, learned my Halloween trick or treat lesson.

NRBQ

Reaction score
So this is my third year in my house and I finally learned my Halloween lesson. There's lots of kids in this neighborhood, so in year one I bought a whole bunch of high quality candy (that means chocolate) for the kids I expected would be trick or treating. I opened the door, put on the front porch light, and nothing, not only didn't anyone trick or treat, didn't even see one kid in a costume the whole day. Year two, bought some but much less candy for the kids again, again not one kid came to the house. So this year I learned my lesson, bought no candy this year, bah humbug. The times they have a changed, when I was a kid candy procurement was priority one, we didn't use paper bags, we took our pillow cases cause they didn't bottom out. What happened to kids priorities, or is it the parents afraid to let their kids have at it? Everyone's scared or the kids are just lazy and fat already. I'm not expecting anyone this year, but if they do show up, I guess it's a cup of loose cheerios or some pork chops.

Oh hell I was only going to give out apples with razor blades and some pot edibles so it's probably for the best anyway. What a shitty way to grow up today, missing out on such a great tradition. I can still remember going thru the booty and separating the good stuff from the crap, swapping this for that with friends etc. Cool people gave out chocolate, jerks gave out candy corn or licorice. Oh well guess Halloween is old news now, still it's a sad turn of events for such a great holiday. I mean really how many days a year can you knock on anyone's door and get free candy? WTF is wrong with people today.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
I loved Halloween when I was a kid in the 80s. It was a big event! Seemed like the whole village of Hammondsport was in on it back then. If you were young enough to Trick or Treat, it would take a while to hit the whole town. If you were older, you could roam around with shaving cream gangs - TP'ing and soaping windows.
It was so much fun no matter what your age was.
I hope they've continued on with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone the way of everything else.
"Trunk or Treat"... what a bunch of new age baloney. I hate that term... I'm glad I don't have to deal with that stuff.
The last time we had Trick or Treaters was when we lived in Five Points (Denver) over a decade ago - and that crowd was mostly high school aged kids without costumes. It was ridiculous, but at least it was something.
Now that we're out in the boonies I get all the candy all to myself!

Last edited:

outlawten5

Reaction score
When I was a kid in the 70's we went to apartment buildings rather than houses. We could knock on multiple doors at once. That said, I haven't had a trick or treater in 6 years

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always loved Halloween but these days kids cant wear masks or costumes to school, and the parents take them to Trunk or Treat, Fall Festivals (usually at a church), or they go to The Mall and walk around in costume and the stores give them candy.

Times have changed.

I loved walking around on halloween, sweating into my mask (which was cold from the air), the sound of 'shushing' through dead leaves, slinging a pillowcase full of candy, trying to see how long and how far I could get before the bag got too heavy.

.....things sure are different now.

Malikon

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Last night, my wife said "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE CANDY! THAT'S FOR KIDS TOMORROW".

Why would she talk to me that way? I never talk like that to her.

Keep Your Pimp Hand Strong!!!!

Every once in a while you need to start a conversation with, "Now see here, Woman!"

sure they get mad, but they respect you for it. :laugh2:

lancpudn

Reaction score
It's not as big a thing as in the states here but we've had our busiest year in a long while, we had eight lots of peewee kids with their parents tonight. It's too late now so I'm diving into the big bag of left over toffees. :thumb:

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our city trick or treat is canceled due to snow. Unfortunately our county, where I'm at, had theirs Sunday. Bell rang non stop with no lights on. Dogs going nuts. trying to watch football. If kids don't even know the lights on rule, then we have bigger problems.

LP121

Reaction score
I always loved Halloween but these days kids cant wear masks or costumes to school, and the parents take them to Trunk or Treat, Fall Festivals (usually at a church), or they go to The Mall and walk around in costume and the stores give them candy.

Times have changed.

I loved walking around on halloween, sweating into my mask (which was cold from the air), the sound of 'shushing' through dead leaves, slinging a pillowcase full of candy, trying to see how long and how far I could get before the bag got too heavy.

.....things sure are different now.

Trick or treating is what made me the man I am today. A candy stealer.

Rob H.

Reaction score
My neighborhood is fairly active, several families with small kids. My girlfriend and her 5 year old live with me. Usually we all get dressed up and go out together, with her mom hanging back to hand out candy.

This year I’m hanging back. Achilles tendinitis, a long day at work, and a strong desire to play guitar alone with the cats for a couple hours make it an easy choice. Plus someone had to make dinner. Quick stir fry easy enough.

Of course I was supposed to be handing out candy. F that noise. Soon as they left, I put the big bowl of candy on the porch and pulled the blinds closed.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I usually get a lot of kids. Between 100-150. Tonight it's pissing rain and still I've already shelled out to about 30 kids.

Olds442

Reaction score
had 3 or 4 families so far, still a couple hours to go.

Reactions: Who

Latest Threads