Year ID help with no serial number - LP Custom?

centuryhouse

Reaction score
I bought an Epiphone Les Paul today - FB Marketplace deal. It looked ok but when I got home I realized there was no serial #.

The guitar is black with chrome hardware. The truss rod cover indicates "Les Paul Custom". Grover tuners. A Bigsby B3 has been installed. Gibson Burstbucker Pro pickups are installed. The headstock is the 'clipped ear' style (the post-91 non-Gibson look).

My assumption was that this is a 91-95 Korean make that had the decal serial# which must have come off.

However the trust rod covers I was able to find online from 91-95 all say 'Gibson' on the vertical print - not 'Custom'.

Thoughts?

7F7E6DD8-0962-4DC9-A7C5-DA5F27841575.jpeg

1E631467-CEEC-4D38-B1EE-522E2A182B83.jpeg

DrBGood

Reaction score
A TRC is easily changed. I think your guess is good on its age. In 95 they came up with the winged TRC.

02.jpg

centuryhouse

Reaction score
A TRC is easily changed. I think your guess is good on its age. In 95 they came up with the winged TRC.
Thanks. Were there any in the 91-95 era that came with the style TRC mine has?

I looked at the volume/tone pots to see if there were dates but there were none. It looks like they may have upgraded them and the wiring though, when they added the Gibson pickups.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Thanks. Were there any in the 91-95 era that came with the style TRC mine has?

I looked at the volume/tone pots to see if there were dates but there were none. It looks like they may have upgraded them and the wiring though, when they added the Gibson pickups.
Yes that TRC shape is common sometime before 1995 and after 2003. Much probable that they upgraded electronics to follow the new pickups.

Stop worrying and rock it.

Latest Threads