Yay or Nay on Gold Faber Kit on my 50's Gold Top????

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK guy's I need some feed back on this???

So after doing the complete faber kit on my 59.. I decided I wanted to do the locking faber bridge on my 50's gold top. I have the e-serts already on the gold top with a small hole tone pro bridge and the gotoh alum tail piece and faber bushings. I org did this all in nickel and the guitar looks great. So after looking at the price of the faber bridge and the locking tail piece kit I was really close to 200 bucks. After thinking about it for a week or so I decided to just get the whole kit for about 40 bucks more. I got the kit in gold and i'm not sure i want to put the gold bridge and tail pieces on my gold top.... what do you guys think??

Attachments

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the gold is too much for the Goldtop with creme plastics.
It would work better.... barely.... with black plastics and a pickguard to help provide some contrast.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I think the gold is too much for the Goldtop with creme plastics.
It would work better.... barely.... with black plastics and a pickguard to help provide some contrast.
I kinda agree man. the nickel just looks good on this guitar... I wounder if the 59 or even my 60's would be an option??? Also thinking about not selling my Custom since getting what i want out of it is going to be a pain in the ass. here's a pic of the 60's guitar. This 60's guitar is plan "B" for the gold faber kit...

Attachments

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think gold would look sharp on that burst... WITH the creme plastics and no PG ;)
The perimeter provides plenty of contrast, and the amber is light enough that it won't clash.

The gold hardware on a Goldtop is almost the visual equivalent of a tri-tone :D

Last edited:

E.X

Reaction score
Respectfully, but the real question here is why put ultra high-end hardware on an Epiphone of all things in the first place.. a waste.

Sure, you "can", but you'd better off saving the extra money to get a better guitar. Hell, a few benjamins more than the total cost of the upgrades and you can get guitars that are noticeably (as in accoustically) better than that Epi.. no sense in what you're doing.

Color comes last :)

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, but the real question here is why put ultra high-end hardware on an Epiphone of all things in the first place.. a waste.

Sure, you "can", but you'd better off saving the extra money to get a better guitar. Hell, a few benjamins more than the total cost of the upgrades and you can get guitars that are noticeably (as in accoustically) better than that Epi.. no sense in what you're doing.

But those are his guitars.
There are many like them, but those are his.
Without him, his guitars are nothing.
Without his guitars.... well... he's a guy without his guitars ;)

rbraad68

Reaction score

Man i am 53 yrs old my days of playing out or anything along those lines are out for me. I have no need for high end guitars nor can I justify buying them... Some of my higher end EPI's like my 59 and my 50's gold top and even my 60's standard are really well playing guitars for what they are. I can afford to put the hardware I want on them and still be alot less money invested in the guitar than say Gibson's lowest offering. This is just a hobby for me at this point in my life... These epi's are fun they can be made to play great and I can have quite a few of them for the price of one Gibson.. Thats all man nothing more nothing less...

rbraad68

Reaction score
Without him, his guitars are nothing.
Without his guitars.... well... he's a guy without his guitars ;)

LOL man .... Well put !!

rbraad68

Reaction score
no sense in what you're doing.
I would have to argue that with you. Other than the e-serts which are pretty much in there for life!! I can take all this hardware with me to any guitar i want. I just don't get you Gibson guys sometimes... These epi's these days are really great playing guitars. My 59 is prob the best playing LP I have ever owned and I have owned alot of them in my life time Gibson and PRS included. What doesn't make sense to me is the price of these Gibson's these days!! I will stick with my EPI LP's and one of these days if the situation arises I will pick up a Tribute LP and even then I would put my money on my 59 ... What makes sense to me may not make sense to you man. To each is own. Aslong as i'm having fun that's all that maters. When it's not fun anymore is when i will stop...

E.X

Reaction score
Point! :)
Nothing i can say to that, except perhaps that my post wasn't meant to be demeaning in any sense, wasn't aware of his age*. I opted to be the voice of reason, in case he simply got carried away, which let us be honest, doesn't take much to happen ^^

* At 53 my man, you can paint it turquoise and stencil some unicorns on top for good measure, lol, you've earned as much; go nuts and ignore me.

** In before someone's criticising my mention of unicorns. They do beat ponies.

fry

Reaction score
I just really don’t like gold hardware on guitars at all. It looks fitting on a Custom, but otherwise, it’s not for me.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just really don’t like gold hardware on guitars at all. It looks fitting on a Custom, but otherwise, it’s not for me.
V-Overall-1.jpg

LuthierVandross

Reaction score
I think you should pop all the gold hardware into the case on your custom and ship it my direction :laugh2:

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
sell the gold hardware and get some of other fancy doo-dad you been lookin at with the money :D

E.X

Reaction score
I just really don’t like gold hardware on guitars at all.
Wh.. what! What?
You infidel!

HERESY! (Large).jpg

MOAR HERESIES (Large).jpg

P.S. Though sure, to each their own.
P.P.S. Shame on you though, lol

rbraad68

Reaction score
Ahhh I'm going to put the gold hardware on the 60s guitar I think that guitar can pull it off...

efstop

Declining Rotten Apple
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do what you like. Ain't hurting nothing but your cash flow :)

I've modded a few of my guitars, mainly Tele saddles, pickguards and pickup swaps in two cheap guitars. Not a lot of money spent on any of them.

My 2013 '50s Tribute, OTOH has only bridge and tuners original to the guitar. A guard and a vibrato was added and everything else was replaced - knobs, pickups, controls and nut. I more than doubled my investment with the addons, but when you pay $375 US for a Gibson (blow out of inventory at a BestBuy), you can afford to go nuts.

Latest Threads