Yay or nay on decking the stopbar

Embee

Reaction score
Doing a little research on whether there are any benefits to lowering the stopbar down to be flush as there seems to be a theoretical (or actual) benefit to the guitar's resonance.

Is there any real benefit to lowering the stopbar down? What drawbacks are there? I've heard that you can collapse the bridge. Is this true? For ABRs or TOMs? Or both?

Brian N

Reaction score
The only real harm it would cause is if the strings touch the back of the bridge. That could theoretically bend the bridge posts over time. As for benefits, I decked mine after playing for about a year with it about a quarter inch off the body. In my non-scientific study, I found no difference whatsoever.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I don’t believe you’ll hear any increase in resonance, save for psychoacoustics. You may feel the strings feel a little stiffer as they will be driven harder into the saddles.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I got sucked into some Joe Walsh propaganda about the criticality of having the tailpiece all the way down. I started modifying some of my guitars accordingly, regretted it on every single one, backed out all of my setup changes, and STOPPED listening to Joe Walsh's recommendations. I think the "tailpiece all the way down" thing is all a bit hooey ... (however, that is just my own likely half-baked opinion).

Embee

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. I like my Pauls too much to Eff around with them. I'm willing to screw with my Strat.

But the Pauls? I don't even want to mess with the Studio blindly.

judson

Reaction score
on some you can get stud lean which sucks as eventually it may get worse and not gonna get better...

so i will start with them flush and go from there....happens

gball

Reaction score
I got sucked into some Joe Walsh propaganda about the criticality of having the tailpiece all the way down. I started modifying some of my guitars accordingly, regretted it on every single one, backed out all of my setup changes, and STOPPED listening to Joe Walsh's recommendations. I think the "tailpiece all the way down" thing is all a bit hooey ... (however, that is just my own likely half-baked opinion).
Same here. Ol' Joe wasn't the inspiration to try, just people's recommendations and my own curiosity, but my experiece was the same and they are all back where they started.

sonar1

Reaction score
Collapsed ABR’s sounds logically like something to avoid.
I run my stop bars high, therefore.
Top wrapping is too trendy for me. I’m a Luddite and an iconoclast.
I’ve never heard any difference in half the practices published abroad by anyone as sketchy as a guitar player, including ME!

If my stop tail inserts start to lean, I’ll shim them with bits of ivory from narwhal or unicorn horn.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
I’ve never heard any difference in half the practices published abroad by anyone as sketchy as a guitar player, including ME!

If my stop tail inserts start to lean, I’ll shim them with bits of ivory from narwhal or unicorn horn.
go with the unicorn as there is scientific proof the its gots the tonez.... :hmm:

sonar1

Reaction score
go with the unicorn as there is scientific proof the its gots the tonez.... :hmm:
Harder to get, and more expensive.
But worth it for my babies.
Also miss the chance to drive a species extinct.

Are you gonna make the baby Harp seal bash this year? I’ll save you a piece of pipe.

JMP

Reaction score
As you can see, everyone has their preferences. Try them all out for yourself and see what you like.

judson

Reaction score
Harder to get, and more expensive.
But worth it for my babies.
Also miss the chance to drive a species extinct.

Are you gonna make the baby Harp seal bash this year? I’ll save you a piece of pipe.
of course even with the severe arthritis i suffered from last years clubbing of my record 46 of those cute little puppies :fingersx:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score

Ditto! That's why the studs are threaded! :thumb:

Latest Threads